Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I do not have high expectations so I will probably not be dissatisfied. I enjoyed the previous two episodes, and I hope that I will enjoy this one as well, even if it is not especially good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

The Two Doctors is really really weird. Like there's that part at the beginning where Six has to go to sleep and you wonder how Two and Jaime are even there looking older and people come up with season 6B. Then there's that bizarre cannibal chef bro who ends up palling around with Two.

"YOU CANNOT ESCAPE SHOCKEYE O' THE QUANCING GRIG!"

Originally, the Androgums cultural obsession was going to be jazz music, and the serial was going to be set in New Orleans rather than Seville. The idea that they would be a species obsessed with cooking and food was supposedly influenced by Holmes's own vegetarianism.

The extra features for the DVD include "A Fix With Sontarans", which probably won't be included on any putative special edition re-release.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PriorMarcus posted:

Apparently Anthony Horowitz is the rumoured new show runner.

I would be pretty interested to see a Doctor Who episode written by Horowitz. I read a lot of his books when I was younger (my favourite was The Falcon's Malteser) but I don't think I've ever watched any of the TV series he's worked on.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One imagines they didn't have much choice in the matter; whatever the context of the scene, the tabloids probably would've raked them over hot coals otherwise and that's the sort of press they don't need.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

Have they actually confirmed that Coleman is planning to leave at the end of the season? I'd totally believe it except that I don't think we've seen a reliable source say so. It would be a shame for her to depart just as she starts getting some characterization but I am also always excited for new blood. :getin:

I think there's been a lot of mixed messages on the matter. The most recent word I've seen was a link (I didn't follow it to the article) remarking that Capaldi has denied that she's leaving.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

Moffat gave up a three-film contract working with Peter Jackson and Steven Spielberg to take over Doctor Who. I don't doubt he's thought about leaving and wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the next couple of years, but I don't think it's a matter of doing so because he's got more opportunities now than he did before.

He's the Dan Slott of Doctor Who. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't have high expectations of the episode but actually ended up enjoying it a lot more than I expected to. Even the stupid spoon fight. It was fun. Would watch it again.

For whatever reason, it kinda sorta reminded me of Rik Mayall as Flashheart Hood from Blackadder Back and Forth, but I'm probably alone in that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

That moment when he and the Doctor are arguing in the dungeon and he starts laughing made me immediately think of Rik Mayall too :)

"WOOF!"

Awwwwww. :(

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I hope that Capaldi will start telling people to "spack off" at some point in the future.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

There was also the octogenerian widow who was apparently decapitated by an attacker in London last week. Unless different facts about that nastiness have become clear, that is. That was the headline on the BBC for a while.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

My god, I had no clue. Try not to imagine their sex life.

Well, the fellow on the left-hand side looks like he should've been an MP who had one of the really rubbish cabinet offices in the Thatcher government for about a month in 1987, like Under-Secretary for Public Highways or Minister of Fisheries or Secretary of State for Northern Ireland. Not sure about the woman in the Bananaman costume.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Right, just gimme some sugar and you'll get no poncey metaphors from me, aye?"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

Yet the mother is constantly running around in near tears moaning,"Can't you see how out of control your life has become since meeting the Doctor!?! :supaburn:" and inviting weirdo staffers of a non-elected politician into her home and giving them intimate access to her conversations with her daughter.

Saxon was elected (I belive he was at the MoD during "The Runaway Bride" when he ordered the army to shoot down the Racnoss ship*), but it's not really worth getting into.

* As noted by Davies himself, the Master was going to taunt the Doctor by saying that if he hadn't gotten Harriet Jones out of the way it would've been that much more difficult for him to take over, but he cut it out because it was "too cruel" (a serious misstep in my view). I think it would've been a pretty cool angle if he'd been able to sneer, "Harriet Jones shot down the Sycorax ship and you destroyed her career; I shot down the Racnoss and it made me the most popular man in Britain!" That would've been especially fiendish.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been thinking, if they're that fixed on survival, maybe the Cybermen would benefit from eating a well-prepared meal.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrL_JaKiri posted:

They should just have a snack

I imagine if the series had continued past 1990, the Cybermen would've eventually been beaten when the Doctor tricks them into drinking Nescafe Gold Blend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Trin Tragula posted:

This is the alternate reality where Tony Head comes out of Rocky Horror and straight into the TARDIS, right?

I misread "Tony Head" as "Tony Hadley" and imagined the Cybermen being beaten by Ace blasting Spandau Ballet at them on her boom box.

Speaking of Anthony Head, I've been binge-watching Highlander: The Series lately and there's an episode at the end of season one where Head guest stars using an American accent, and it just sounds weird.

• Locked thread