Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Welp, time to see if Capaldi can save a Gatiss script. :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I admit Cold War was a lot of fun, but Crimson Horror never really gelled for me.

A lot better than Victory of the Daleks, to be fair.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

McDragon posted:

You just can't stay neutral to an episode like that.

I think I managed it, somehow. The spoon fight left me with huge goofy grin plastered all over my face, but large swathes of the episode managed to get so campy and ridiculous that I literally could not make myself sit through them. It was like having RTD back.

The "First Nottingham, then Derby, then Lincoln, then..." "...Worksop?" "THE WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORLD!!!" scene was solid gold, though.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

You're a very brave poster.

You know, my mother phoned me up last week to say the exact same thing. Which was strange, but okay: I think I can see where they're coming from. I see less continuity of character here than in either of the other NuWho regenerations, and I think people are going to have a correspondingly more difficult time adjusting.

It's not helping that Capaldi doesn't seem to be getting a whole lot of "Why is there never a big red button" lines (that's the line that really sold Hurt as the Doctor to me).

marktheando posted:

I'm pretty sure the viewership is down since the David Tennant era.

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT GRAPHS.

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm still hoping they stop giving him lots of action to do, watching Capaldi begin a spoon fight only to cut to a long shot of a bad stunt double is loving horrible, and its even worse when he's trying to rush prisoners out of the dungeon only to awkwardly shuffle after them at a shuffle.

Oh, there was a stunt double? :v:

I never notice this stuff.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

So, Occ's thread is on to season 3 (ouch). I went to check the episode list, to see where the quality is (Human Nature/Family of Blood, Blink and Utopia and then the rest is dross, far as I can tell, though apparently Gridlock impressed some people), and- somewhat unusually- saw an episode I did not remember at all.

It's 42, one of Chibnall's efforts. Reading the synopsis, I think I vaguely remember watching this one, but good, bad, indifferent? Haven't a clue. Anyone?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Jsor posted:

Doesn't Martha call her family or something to go to a computer and Google the answers for her or something?

This sound stupid.

Jsor posted:

(Was that also the one where one of the astronauts got "infected" by the star they were harvesting energy from and went on a fiery rampage?)

This sounds like a lot of fun! Hard to gently caress up a good fiery rampage.

(Do I believe that this show could do it? Yes of course I do)

Anyway, thanks all.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

That. Is a very poor caricature of Capaldi. It could be anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Metal Loaf posted:

Speaking of Anthony Head, I've been binge-watching Highlander: The Series lately and there's an episode at the end of season one where Head guest stars using an American accent, and it just sounds weird.

Head always sounds weird with an American accent. Did you see him in Dominion? Bizarre.

• Locked thread