Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Capaldi has only had three episodes. I find him a bit awkward, but I'd at least give him a full series before I say he's the best or worst thing to happen to the show since color TVs.

I like that this episode made some assumptions about the audience. Specifically, we've had enough episodes in Dickens-land and other places that we know a Victorian or even medieval time period doesn't mean we don't find a hidden cache of UFOs, computers, time jump watches, etc.

The Doctor himself is more an audience analogue than the assistant for the first ten minutes, because as soon as Robin Hood can properly introduce himself the Doctor is already trying to find the man behind the curtain, testing hair samples etc and waiting for the Area 51 poo poo to spring out of nowhere.

Anyway, I'm just another voice that thought this episode was good. It's nice to see Clara actually dig into an adventure instead of stand around and occasionally play the Doctor's ethics compass. And it's nice to see an old world that isn't Dickens-land.

Because please, no more Dickens-land. And no more Vastra & Friends. That make out session a few episodes back wasn't progressive or subversive, it was gratuitous and kind of exploitive, running on the "it's hot when chicks do it" logic of straight men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
One of the things that's been lost since Moffat took over was the companion having their own life outside of the TARDIS. RTD made the families and friends quite visible, and many of them had their own moments. Father's Day was probably the highlight of Rose's term from a story standpoint. And while initially I wasn't sure an entire extra-large adventure with Uncle Wilf would be tolerable, there it was.

Moffat hasn't had to do much of that, partially because giving you any kind of insight into the life of the Ponds would ruin the mysteries-within-mysteries that shouldn't be opened until 18 months later. With Clara, we've seen how her parents met and the Doctor has apparently tracked her through childhood, but like the one time we saw her in a normal setting, she was babysitting and then had the Doctor camping outside like n obsessive stalker.

So yeah, I think that Clara's lack of personality comes a lot from not having any regular relatives or friends to bounce things off of. Rose had her mum and Mickey, Donna needed Uncle Wilf to endure her oppressive mother, Martha's family weren't massively important but showed up a few times, and you eventually got a look at the Ponds history but only after it was far too late for many to care.

I have no idea if this is what Mr Pink is for, but I liked Dalek-Clara a lot and I'm disappointed that her run as a regular character had been basically an observer. Even her big unique reveal was that she has observed every incarnation of the Doctor. Well whoopdeedo.

EDIT: And if the Doctor's mad amounts of chalkboard calculations are about Gallifrey, then he sure didn't spend all that time on the Planet Christmas to much good use, did he?

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 8, 2014

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
What I remember about 42 was the original 'villain' guy wearing a wannabe Stormtrooper mask. It was like somebody did the original 90s version of WWE's Kane with an even smaller budget than the most budget-minded period of WWE.

• Locked thread