Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Finally got around to watching the first two episoes of the new series.

I wasn't a huge fan of either episode from a plot perspective, but Capaldi and Coleman have both been utterly fantastic in their roles. After being basically indifferent to Clara during her run with Smith I'm now genuinely sorry to hear that she'll be leaving so soon.

And Capaldi? I know this is probably an unpopular viewpoint but I already like him better as the Doctor than Matt Smith. Smith was great, don't get me wrong, but I never warmed up to him quite as much as I did Eccleston and Tennant. Capaldi on the other hand could become my favorite Doctor if he keeps this up.

I just hope he gets some better material to work with soon.

Hopefully the next episode is a step in the right direction. Gattis's two episodes in series 7 1/2 were the best work he's ever contributed to the show and hopefully this is more akin to those two than some of his dodgy earlier stuff. Crimson Horror was great and definitely the highlight of the regular episodes from series 7 IMO.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Sep 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I read somewhere that they're essentially contractually obligated to do at least one Dalek episode a series due to an agreement with the estate of the man who created them. Is this true?

My main issue with that last episode is that I'm personally not the hugest fan of Daleks and think most interesting avenues to take with them have already been well travelled. Their first appearance in the reboot with Eccleston was very well executed and I enjoyed Asylum, but all the other Dalek episodes I thought were decent at best and ranged downward to some of the worst of the show (Victory)].

I know they're probably the second most iconic aspect of the show next to the TARDIS and I'm not expecting them to go away, but it would be nice if they took a bit of a break from them to concentrate on other adversaries.

Jerusalem posted:

The amazing streak of luck in regards to casting the Doctor continues on.

Yeah. I can't really give an opinion on any classic doctor except Tom Baker, but all the actors in the reboot have been excellent including John Hurt (and I thought casting a guy as the War Doctor was a huge mistake at first since I envisioned Eccleston in that role).

I may not have liked Matt Smith quite as much as the prior two actors in that role but I'll be the first to say he did a great job overall. One of my favorite aspects of the show is that the different incarnations of the Doctor that I've watched have all exhibited different personality traits but are still easily recognizable as the same character.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Sep 6, 2014

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I'm from the US and was born during the 5th Doctor's run and never really got exposed to the show until the reboot although I had seen snippets on PBS when I was a kid.

I thought Tom Baker was literally the only Doctor from the first incarnation of the show until I actually started watching it. His run seemed to get far more exposure over here than the guys who came after him.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 6, 2014

• Locked thread