Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

This episode really felt like it needed two episodes. Everything after Capaldi gets captured the final time was way too rushed and while I enjoyed the episode on a whole, nothing involving the golden arrow made sense, which my viewing companion complained about loudly through the whole thing, leaving me to take the moderate stance on the issue.

I think I can understand where people don't see Capaldi as The Doctor. In this episode he's basically a big whinging baby who gets dragged around, makes a fuss, argues and doesn't really do anything until the peasant revolt-- which again was blazed through and really needed some room to breathe. It certainly didn't seem to be the same Doctor we saw at the end of the first episode and throughout the second. If Matt Smith was an old man in the body of a young one, Capaldi in this episode was a petulant child in the body of an old man.

Clara continues to be brilliant, though I thought the dress didn't suit her quite as much as the green victorian number in the first episode. Her and Robin Hood absolutely owned the entire episode, with a good showing by the Sheriff. The robots were really neat. I liked the design a lot. It had a very "Doctor Who" feel to it to me. While I wouldn't call Robot of Sherwood a great episode, it was very entertaining. Of course, I say the same thing about Minuet in Hell, so--

Three episodes in and I'm a little disappointed in Series 8. The writing has been quite rubbish, Capaldi hasn't yet reached me in his portrayal of the Doctor, and the arc storyline (while thankfully having very little focus this episode) hasn't yet given me a reason to care about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Jsor posted:

The Doctor actually regenerated into Clara and then went and picked up that dipstick from Pompeii as her cover. Then used Time Lord science-magic to falsify his memories.

I could get behind this theory-- except that Clara hasn't touched the Sonic Screwdriver and I'm afraid that I cannot fathom a post-revival Doctor that doesn't have his or her hands glued to that silly piece of technology.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Mr Beens posted:

*Snigger*

:sweatdrop:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Why does that wiki have the weird POV callout boxes, anyway?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

Jane Baker, co-creator of the Rani with her husband Pip, has passed away.

When I first read this I thought two people had died. :ohdear:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Robot of Sherwood would've been fabulous with Six and Evelyn.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

You spelt Eleven wrong.

Six and Eleven would make an amazing pair!

Doctor Smythe probably would have a hilarious dynamic with Smith, berating his childishness.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

Thinking about it, just add in a somewhat more vibrant vocabulary and appropriately applied alliteration, along with some Jubilee-style ruminations on the nature of history, and it'd fit right in with the original run of pre-Arrangements for War Evelyn audios.

I felt like the antagonistic relationship between Capaldi and Robin Hood really reminded me of Colin's back and forth with Zane, for example. And Evelyn is the sort of companion who would both be excited to see the historical truth of the stories and get involved in actually saving the day.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

You know, when I walked out of the Ziegfield Theater after seeing the Deep Breath premiere, I wondered if how much of the similarity I had perceived between Twelve and Six was just wishful thinking and general Doctorish qualities.

But now, I'm starting to think it really is deliberate, and I'm getting a bit giddy over it.

When I watched you namedrop Colin to Lindalee I thought you were kind of crazy, because I didn't see much of him in Capaldi's performance in the first episode, but with these last two I see where you're coming from.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I had forgotten about Curse of the Black Spot, but recalling it now it was mostly inoffensive and fun enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

howe_sam posted:

Rory dies and Amy dresses up like a pirate, what more do you need?

Amy dies and Rory dressing like a pirate?

• Locked thread