Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Someone do a lot of posting please so my 2,000 words on The Krotons isn't the first thing people see when they read the thread.

But the Doctor Who thread thrives on word-walls! Thrives!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I really liked Cold War, but I think that was all David Warner's fault. I'm so glad they finally got him into live action Who.

Jerusalem posted:

I'm more concerned by the director, who doesn't sound like he has the best pedigree.

I dunno, going by his IMDB, he's a pretty solid TV director with 11 years worth of experience.

Plavski fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 5, 2014

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

That episode was great fun and Capaldi is just magical - I've never warmed to a Doctor so quickly before. I think in a couple of episodes time he might be my new favourite. These last two episodes have been brilliant examples of what makes Doctor Who so good.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

You could really tell Gatiss just loved writing Capaldi too. He loves writing Sherlock-esque snark and know it can be pulled off by the actor. For Big Finish people, you should really listen to Phantasmagoria if you haven't already; I think it's one of Gatiss' finest Who contributions.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Goddamn, Spare Parts was loving incredible. It completely lives up to its reputation.

Now I'm listening to The One Doctor and it's so charming hearing Biggins ham it up.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Brett824 posted:

I watched Black Orchid because someone told me it had a cricket bit in it and I would like it. My review is that it had a cricket bit, and I liked it.

The commentary is hilarious - they all hate it and constantly slag off Matthew Waterhouse's non-stop eating.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

CobiWann posted:

Finding out for sure whether or not Adric was right.

I love how they actually dealt with some of that in Spare Parts.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

The One Doctor was suitably campy and fun, but I'm glad to get to more serious fare with The Marian Conspiracy. As someone with a history degree (first class, how's that for employability!), it was nice to see it all being taken so seriously. Having a historian around, especially one as delightful as Evelyn, is a treat. I've already heard Jubilee, so I know her quality, but I'm looking forward to the rest of her stuff. She has a lovely rapport with Colin and it's a shame illness forced Maggie to retire from acting. Still, I have many more stories ahead of the two of them. It might hit the old wallet hard, but so far they are great value.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Loups-Garoux or Singularity are awesome starters too. The dream team of the Fifth and Turlough are perfectly matched for these radio stories. Or just listen to Dark Eyes and enjoy.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Five and Turlough is my favourite partnership and it's a pain to me that there are only three stories with just the two of them. The fact that all three are really great is a good bonus, but it's a real pity there aren't more. There's something about Five's optimism and Turlough's irritability that helps drive the plot on fantastically. Five is constantly battling with Turlough's natural negative instincts and the two have a great rapport.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I hated Situation Vacant. Boring and filled with unlikeable characters I couldn't wait for it to be over.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Autonomous Monster posted:

It's 42, one of Chibnall's efforts. Reading the synopsis, I think I vaguely remember watching this one, but good, bad, indifferent? Haven't a clue. Anyone?

42 is the one with the loving trivia competition.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

There is a lot about Season 3 that isn't particularly well thought out. RTD complains a lot in the Writer's Tale about how badly he treated Martha because he just couldn't figure out what to do with her.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

The doors in both episodes use the Doom sound effects when they open and close.

Which were in turn taken from a sound effects library.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Attitude Indicator posted:

well, there was just some talk about 42, but im still going to nominate that one.

Idiot's Lantern barely gets a look in anywhere.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Inspired by Gridlock chat, I'm watching Gridlock again. I'd forgotten how plastic looking the Tennant-era was. And Oh God, Ardal O'Hanlan as a loving cat-man.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I had just hit that very scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

• Locked thread