Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeuhl
Dec 15, 2009

hand is free
Legend of Legaia was a jrpg for psx that was pretty great if you played it during its heyday and also pretty difficult.

I started this up recently and was dismayed at the amount of random encounters so I hacked an accessory into my save that lowers the encounter rate and while I was at it I gave myself two accessories that regen mp outside of combat. It really made the grindy part of the game go away for the most part and I was able to sit back and enjoy.

Here are my questions

have you played this game?(beaten it? anyone?)

what ways have you "modded" some part of your JRPG experience for your benefit? (fast forward is an obvious one for every SNES rpg)

this is also a safe legaia/psx-era and earlier jrpg discussion zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

i modded my experience by not playing the ones that are basically the single player version off an mmo except no quests

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

i played through dragon warrior on 4x speed

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

is it a 3D game? PSX era 3d games tend to be rather janky, slow and unfun

Zeuhl
Dec 15, 2009

hand is free

Ekster posted:

is it a 3D game? PSX era 3d games tend to be rather janky, slow and unfun

The only thing this game suffers from like other psx jrpgs is the battle animations taking a while, but sometimes they're funny because people yelling out their attacks, and also I kinda just go and do something in between taking my turn which kinda mitigates that issue. Would only recommend it to people who have the tolerance for that sort of thing.

The challenge in the game's boss fights and the satisfaction for winning is pretty rewarding.

The story is funny unintentionally sometimes but the odd moment can be surprisingly gripping.

Watching little polygon block people get bitten by little polygon block monsters as the mist rolls in. Truly a harrowing experience.

When people "blush" in this game it makes all their clothes go red too.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

this game was really awesome and holy poo poo boss fights were hard. the fighting element was a bit odd but the summons were rad as gently caress.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
legaia was pretty bad

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
like, shadow madness levels of bad

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Sometimes you can find hi res texture packs to make them better and/or use emulation to make the visuals better

FF9 in particular works well with this since it has textures natively that the PSX couldn't display but which pop out on an emulator

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Widestancer posted:

Sometimes you can find hi res texture packs to make them better and/or use emulation to make the visuals better

FF9 in particular works well with this since it has textures natively that the PSX couldn't display but which pop out on an emulator

the game has hi-res textures that aren't used on the disc?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

LaTex Fetish posted:

the game has hi-res textures that aren't used on the disc?

The details they put in can't be seen at native PSX resolution; for example, the ticket ViVi drops has text that can be read on it IIRC

They really put a lot of work into the visuals of that game to the point that they went beyond what could be displayed off the dev kits

Zeuhl
Dec 15, 2009

hand is free
Boss fights were pretty scary not just difficulty wise but the music was trying to psyche you out

good track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO4Z833om8M

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

hi i played and enjoyed this game. i dont think i beat it though

and the boss fights were not really that bad provided you had the right seru, but thanks to the complete RNG aspect of acquiring seru it was entirely possible that you didn't. that set of three one on one fights and then a 3 v 1 damage race is particularly bad if you don't have the right seru.

fun game, cool battle system

Zeuhl
Dec 15, 2009

hand is free

Silver Striker posted:

hi i played and enjoyed this game. i dont think i beat it though

and the boss fights were not really that bad provided you had the right seru, but thanks to the complete RNG aspect of acquiring seru it was entirely possible that you didn't. that set of three one on one fights and then a 3 v 1 damage race is particularly bad if you don't have the right seru.

fun game, cool battle system

really you only needed the healing seru, artes could do the majority of damage you needed for bosses except for some of the powerful seru you could get. i'm not sure if it was a RNG thing, It may have something to do with number of times you defeated the monster. also there's accessories that improve the odds of getting them

I just did that boss fight with the 3 one on ones recently, the big guy you fight first is the only hard fight just because you need a certain amount of max HP to survive with the guy you're using. I just used the point card

The point card accumulated every time you bought something and if you saved up enough you could just brush aside a particular nasty boss if you didn't feel like trying to get stronger.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
I've recently come to the shocking conclusion that JRPGs haven't gotten worse, rather they were always pretty terrible and I've just gotten better :shrug:

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Zeuhl posted:

really you only needed the healing seru, artes could do the majority of damage you needed for bosses except for some of the powerful seru you could get. i'm not sure if it was a RNG thing, It may have something to do with number of times you defeated the monster. also there's accessories that improve the odds of getting them

I just did that boss fight with the 3 one on ones recently, the big guy you fight first is the only hard fight just because you need a certain amount of max HP to survive with the guy you're using. I just used the point card

The point card accumulated every time you bought something and if you saved up enough you could just brush aside a particular nasty boss if you didn't feel like trying to get stronger.

there are a few specific healing seru that make the game, and that fight in particular, way easier. i dont remember the names but i remember having a hell of a time trying to keep up with the damage in those one on one fights so i looked it up and everyone was like "yeah man if you dont have this one seru go grind" so i kept trying, got frustrated, grinded and eventually beat that boss fight without the point card. it was worth it i guess

Zeuhl
Dec 15, 2009

hand is free

Silver Striker posted:

it was worth it i guess

when all the enemies are dead, there's a different camera angle right after you do your last attack, that lets you know if you've won

in boss fights that just keep going you're just waiting to see that glorious camera angle

dendy crew
Jun 1, 2011

Dendy!, Dendy!, We love Dendy! Dendy - Everyone plays it!
kouichi yamazaki aka RAM was the sound director for this game and he makes good music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTIhlgyZcg8

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

gameshark code to make text go faster

Zeuhl
Dec 15, 2009

hand is free

Parallax Scroll posted:

gameshark code to make text go faster

for what game!? Xenogears?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Zeuhl posted:

for what game!? Xenogears?

yeah that's the only game i know of that has a code for it

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
JRPGS with random encounters can rot in the same circle of hell as people who play CoD and fold money in half hot dog style.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i've beaten legaia. its pretty cool. i like that you see what armor/weapons your characters are wearing. that was revolutionary for the time and s till looks good to me today. the designs of monsters/items/seru are cool. also the plot gets real dark which kind of made my teen mind go O_O;;

frameskip is necessary to play it now though. random encounter!!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Zeuhl posted:

Legend of Legaia was a jrpg for psx that was pretty great if you played it during its heyday and also pretty difficult.

I started this up recently and was dismayed at the amount of random encounters so I hacked an accessory into my save that lowers the encounter rate and while I was at it I gave myself two accessories that regen mp outside of combat. It really made the grindy part of the game go away for the most part and I was able to sit back and enjoy.

Here are my questions

what ways have you "modded" some part of your JRPG experience for your benefit? (fast forward is an obvious one for every SNES rpg)

Any Dragon Quest game. 4x experience and gold.

Zeuhl
Dec 15, 2009

hand is free

SeXReX posted:

JRPGS with random encounters can rot in the same circle of hell as people who play CoD and fold money in half hot dog style.

one thing I do with save states now is use save scumming to run from random encounters

it'll work for some games:

enter battle
save state
try to run, if you fail, load state
run
success!

you still have to be a super patient pro wii u elite jrpg gamer to do this
ymmv

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I have beaten this game. There was a bad snowstorm in like 1999 and I spent about three days locked in my room, curled in a blanket, beating this game. I had gone through Wild Arms, so I was pretty excited for their second take on the genre. The only real negative aspect about this game is the over world moving speed. Everything else is pretty loving cool. World ending plot with secret puppet masters. A loving symbiote that gives your characters awesome special martial arts moves with the ability to catch other creatures. A tower level so awesome no other tower level can compare. It even has a Monk and a little girl who has the name Noa. That's not a god drat girls name you fucks but I'll allow it because you didn't give her giant tits. Thank you.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Zeuhl posted:

one thing I do with save states now is use save scumming to run from random encounters

enter battle
save state
run
success!

ymmv

have you ever considered playing games that aren't poo poo?

Zeuhl
Dec 15, 2009

hand is free

Kazvall posted:

I have beaten this game. There was a bad snowstorm in like 1999 and I spent about three days locked in my room, curled in a blanket, beating this game. I had gone through Wild Arms, so I was pretty excited for their second take on the genre. The only real negative aspect about this game is the over world moving speed. Everything else is pretty loving cool. World ending plot with secret puppet masters. A loving symbiote that gives your characters awesome special martial arts moves with the ability to catch other creatures. A tower level so awesome no other tower level can compare. It even has a Monk and a little girl who has the name Noa. That's not a god drat girls name you fucks but I'll allow it because you didn't give her giant tits. Thank you.

Thank YOU Kazvall

Perfect 1999 snowstorm game, long battle animations? Who cares? no one is in a hurry in an Imp Zone snow storm

except SeXReX

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

sol tower is pretty neat. cool atmosphere, and also muSCLE DOME i wish more games integrated town/dungeon, instead of having them be separated for no reason.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Heran Bago posted:

So you want to me overleveled for some reason rather then just play the game why

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
doesn't gba BoF/BoF2 give you 10x xp and gold

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
LoL also had a dancing minigame before every game had a dancing minigame.

Has anyone played Legaia 2? I bought it a long time ago but still haven't played it.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Action Jacktion posted:

LoL also had a dancing minigame before every game had a dancing minigame.

Has anyone played Legaia 2? I bought it a long time ago but still haven't played it.

Legaia 2 is a weird game. It's kinda decent and kinda poo poo. It has basically the same combat system as Legaia but I didn't like it as much because most of the characters just have dull looking sword combos instead of doing awesome kung fu moves. It has maybe the worst sewer level ever, and makes you go back through it like five times. It's grindy and the story is the most generic bullshit ever. loving Elemental Crystals plot in a PS2 game.

It's basically fun to play the same way the first game was, though. It's just too long and has too much BS. I've started it at least three times and always burn out about two thirds through.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

SeXReX posted:

dragon quest 3 is the best jrpg of all time.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Heran Bago posted:

HuURRrRRR

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Zeuhl posted:

enter battle
save state
run
success!

ymmv

HuRrRRrRRrRr

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Dr Pepper posted:

So you want to me overleveled for some reason rather then just play the game why

These people are disabled, it's not their fault.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
I played the demo of this game and then did not buy it.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Zeuhl posted:

Here are my questions

Cool cheating OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Nihnoz posted:

HuURRrRRR

i agree, if you need 4x exp and gold in a DQ game you are an extreme failtard. this is this notion that dragon quest games are extremely grindy and i don't really know where it came from because if you actually play the game they're generally not very hard. like all you do is mostly pick attack and use items (including the item they give you in basically every loving game that gives you a free midheal)

• Locked thread