Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Silver Striker posted:

i agree, if you need 4x exp and gold in a DQ game you are an extreme failtard. this is this notion that dragon quest games are extremely grindy and i don't really know where it came from because if you actually play the game they're generally not very hard. like all you do is mostly pick attack and use items (including the item they give you in basically every loving game that gives you a free midheal)

I think these people run from every fight and don't buy herbs early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Silver Striker posted:

i agree, if you need 4x exp and gold in a DQ game you are an extreme failtard. this is this notion that dragon quest games are extremely grindy and i don't really know where it came from because if you actually play the game they're generally not very hard. like all you do is mostly pick attack and use items (including the item they give you in basically every loving game that gives you a free midheal)

I tried playing NES Dragon Quest 1 adn the grinding really does take forever. That's probably the only one though.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I tried playing NES Dragon Quest 1 adn the grinding really does take forever. That's probably the only one though.

i partially attribute my reading ability to my dad making me grind for him and me not trusting red text to articulate "GO BACK TO TOWN AND REST AT INN"

that game's translation is shockingly good

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

The name I picked was among the worst for starting stats and character growth. Every new enemy encounter besides gold golems required me to gain another level to keep up. Genociding 100+ tutorial monsters for the not entirely lovely second weapon and fives levels to survive red slimes took hours if I didn't run the game at 4X speed. Each character in your name determines starting stats and growth. Your name had to be something like NNMMM for SNES levels of grind.

I can't imagine the fun of playing the PAL version of Legaia. That is the slowest RPG I ever played. Massive maps and slow movement speed, then you have the 50hz run speed of PAL games. The game was almost always speed toggled and it turned out to be a well made game under junky hardware. You set up some 9 input moveset that lets your character do 6 combos Arts for 30 hits or using that poo poo accessory that might let you do 10+ combos for 60 hits. Summons don't really take forever, but those easily dominate bosses and are cheap enough for packrats to not worry about using items. It was good that the strength of summons behave differently for each character on equal levels.

Hard mode hacks for Grandia made it a challenge. You can beat the normal game with combos and some items for select bosses.

Budohead
Feb 13, 2011

Head Case
There was a plant guy boss who would rot half your limbs so you couldn't use any super moves. That's all I got for this one.

That and TORNADO FLAME

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Hi I think legaia is really cool because karate punching and kicking demons in the face is not only viable but encouraged. Well that's all thanks for reading

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Budohead posted:

There was a plant guy boss who would rot half your limbs so you couldn't use any super moves. That's all I got for this one.

That and TORNADO FLAME

that boss existed purely to make people poo poo themselves in impotent terror the first time they fight him

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Dwight Evans posted:

i played through dragon warrior on 4x speed

Pokemon X/Y was the first Pokemon game I've played where I did not feel the need to play it in an emulator solely so I could put it on 4x speed. This, combined with the ability to dress my character up in dumb clothes, is why it's the best Pokemon game.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Silver Striker posted:

People are very bad at video games.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

will someone please complain about grinding in a post-SNES era Final Fantasy so we can point and laugh at him

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
ways to make jrpgs more palatable: dont play them

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
How to make old RPGs more palpable: Use a fast forward button.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Concordat posted:

How to make old RPGs more palpable: Use a fast forward button.

ff12 international is the best final fantasy

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Mung Dynasty posted:

ways to make jrpgs more palatable: dont play them

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Jackie D posted:

stack it with pcsx2 fastforward

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

jrpgs own

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
the only jrpgs that are worth a drat are the ones you played when you were eleven years old

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kilroy posted:

the only jrpgs that are worth a drat are the ones you played when you were eleven years old
FFVI, Chrono Trigger, SMRPG, literally the most accurate statement

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Pablo Gigante posted:

FFVI, Chrono Trigger, SMRPG, literally the most accurate statement
no I mean the only jrpgs that are worth a drat are the ones you played when you were eleven, regardless of whether you were eleven in 1991 or 2008, because only an eleven year old could find them enjoyable and the only thing that could make them hold up for anyone else is nostalgia

so, for example, I might find it easy to run through ffiv even now, while ffvi and chrono trigger are less compelling and smrpg is about as fun as taking a cheese grater to my balls, because by the time those came out I was old enough to realize the story was pretty hokey and the combat mechanics are shallow and boring

whereas, you are apoplectic that I would dare insult the honor of those games, while ffiv you've heard of and maybe even tried playing through once or twice, but figure it was made before square learned how to make really good jrpgs, which again, is a contradiction in terms - square never learned how to do this and neither has anyone else

meanwhile, there is a college student reading this wondering why the gently caress anyone cares about 20+ year old games when clearly ff12 was the apex of the genre

in other words:

Kilroy posted:

I've recently come to the shocking conclusion that JRPGs haven't gotten worse, rather they were always pretty terrible and I've just gotten better :shrug:

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Jackie D posted:

By huge leaps and bounds. Balthier Master Race

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Kilroy posted:

no I mean the only jrpgs that are worth a drat are the ones you played when you were eleven, regardless of whether you were eleven in 1991 or 2008, because only an eleven year old could find them enjoyable and the only thing that could make them hold up for anyone else is nostalgia

i played ffv for the first time around a year ago, and despite being hokey and a bit silly, I found it to be a pretty fun game. i played it during that one charity thing that goons do, so the restrictions in place (you only can use four jobs, randomly picked) gave it more challenge that it usually does, but i never found myself feeling like i had to force myself to play it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kilroy posted:

so, for example, I might find it easy to run through ffiv even now, while ffvi and chrono trigger are less compelling and smrpg is about as fun as taking a cheese grater to my balls, because by the time those came out I was old enough to realize the story was pretty hokey and the combat mechanics are shallow and boring

whereas, you are apoplectic that I would dare insult the honor of those games, while ffiv you've heard of and maybe even tried playing through once or twice, but figure it was made before square learned how to make really good jrpgs, which again, is a contradiction in terms - square never learned how to do this and neither has anyone else

meanwhile, there is a college student reading this wondering why the gently caress anyone cares about 20+ year old games when clearly ff12 was the apex of the genre

in other words:

Tl:dr :yosbutt:

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Kilroy posted:

in other words:

So basically, you're saying that FF6, CT, MarioRPG, Earthbound, etc, are not popular because of the nature of the products, but rather because of the nature of its consumers.
Does this apply to movies too? As in, would an 11 year old generally prefer the new Star Wars movies vs the old ones, figuring that those were made before Lucas figured out how to make decent flicks or something? If the example doesn't work, what is the difference that makes this phenomenon unique to video games?

What's to be said about counter-examples where other game genres had their critically acclaimed darlings in seemingly different time periods, much like Guitar Hero and its ilk? The general consensus seem to be that music games were at their best during the late PS2 / early PS3 era; Is that also not due to the nature of the products?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i think it also really pays to account for the era that these games were made in.

theres both a limitation of technology, but also just the limitation of the video game industry at the time, in both budget, and knowledge of what could be done with games and what does and does not work mechanically speaking.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Gimbal lock posted:

So basically, you're saying that FF6, CT, MarioRPG, Earthbound, etc, are not popular because of the nature of the products, but rather because of the nature of its consumers.
Does this apply to movies too? As in, would an 11 year old generally prefer the new Star Wars movies vs the old ones, figuring that those were made before Lucas figured out how to make decent flicks or something? If the example doesn't work, what is the difference that makes this phenomenon unique to video games?

What's to be said about counter-examples where other game genres had their critically acclaimed darlings in seemingly different time periods, much like Guitar Hero and its ilk? The general consensus seem to be that music games were at their best during the late PS2 / early PS3 era; Is that also not due to the nature of the products?

you're putting too much thought into a guy making a really lost post that basically says that only dumb babies like games he doesn't like

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Gimbal lock posted:

nah it's only jrpgs that are like this

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Nihnoz posted:

dragon quest 3 is the best jrpg of all time.

Yeah this is the correct opinion. I started replaying it a little while ago and was actually gonna make a thread almost exactly like this one, fancy that. Anyway I haven't been playing with fast forward but I have been doing it with extensive save states in order to avoid really tedious encounters (it's not a super hard game, the way targeting works just makes things a drag sometimes), mimics (because lol why should I even try when it can deal my tank's full health in one attack), and the Parchisi boards (which also taught me that the game really actively fucks you over in not giving you dice rolls that will land you on good things). Still a great game and I'm getting all my nostalgia in playing it again but boy am I amazed that little kid me almost beat this thing on a non-backlit GBC.

Kilroy posted:

I've recently come to the shocking conclusion that JRPGs haven't gotten worse, rather they were always pretty terrible and I've just gotten better :shrug:

This is also true. I realized early on in DQ9 that no JRPGs are ever truly hard because the combat allows for like all of zero variation in strategy in any of them and that I'm really just in it because I like how lighthearted DQ stories are. Except in 5, but its Sad Moment is presented really well and I'm amazed no other JRPG has done something that cool with its gameplay tying into the narrative.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Just because it takes two years of grinding to unlock everything doesn't mean lagaia of legends is a jrpg op

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Heavy Lobster posted:

Yeah this is the correct opinion. I started replaying it a little while ago and was actually gonna make a thread almost exactly like this one, fancy that. Anyway I haven't been playing with fast forward but I have been doing it with extensive save states in order to avoid really tedious encounters (it's not a super hard game, the way targeting works just makes things a drag sometimes), mimics (because lol why should I even try when it can deal my tank's full health in one attack), and the Parchisi boards (which also taught me that the game really actively fucks you over in not giving you dice rolls that will land you on good things). Still a great game and I'm getting all my nostalgia in playing it again but boy am I amazed that little kid me almost beat this thing on a non-backlit GBC.

when i was a kid i loved the gbc version of dq3. loving around with classes was fun as poo poo bc you could do crazy things like have a warrior that's also an effective mage if you put enough time into it. it was obv the devs didnt give half a gently caress if you could break the game with the class changing mechanic and that owns

these days i probably couldnt play it if i didnt speed the game up with an emulator but its still cool

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

drat just because some mother fucker is jaded doesn't mean our jrpgs are bad. How can you poo poo on PS1 era rpgs? HOWWWW?!

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Kazvall posted:

drat just because some mother fucker is jaded doesn't mean our jrpgs are bad. How can you poo poo on PS1 era rpgs? HOWWWW?!

The answer is simple: Kilroy is suffering from a terminal case of Epic Fail.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
PS1 era rpgs had bad load times. This goes back to my previous assertion that the fast-forward button is a genre necessity.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
While we're on the topic, Breath of Fire 4 might also be one of the only perfect JRPGs out there and requires no speeding up at all because every moment of it owns bones

A lot of people prefer BoF3, but the character designs skeeve me out for whatever reason

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Heavy Lobster posted:

While we're on the topic, Breath of Fire 4 might also be one of the only perfect JRPGs out there and requires no speeding up at all because every moment of it owns bones

Aside from the desert sequence I don't think there's a valid complaint about BOF4, it is just that good

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Breath of Fire 4 is the real poo poo, man

Also legend of legaia is pretty cool even with the janky non-battle graphics

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Doctor Goat posted:

Aside from the desert sequence I don't think there's a valid complaint about BOF4, it is just that good
Gotta catch that chicken.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Kazvall posted:

If you were eleven when those games were released then it's totally fine if you think they're the best thing ever. Otherwise, I'm sorry to inform you, you have wrong opinions about games :(

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
no kilroy, it is you that has wrong opinions about games

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Heavy Lobster posted:

A lot of people prefer BoF3, but the character designs skeeve me out for whatever reason
I just started playing BoF4 and I'm still only in the desert but man is it good so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Kilroy posted:

If you were eleven when those games were released then it's totally fine if you think they're the best thing ever. Otherwise, I'm sorry to inform you, you have wrong opinions about games :(

I'm just not listening to you, you are the devil. Go not die in a fire, because you're immune, rear end in a top hat. :colbert:

• Locked thread