Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Kilroy posted:

no I mean the only jrpgs that are worth a drat are the ones you played when you were eleven, regardless of whether you were eleven in 1991 or 2008, because only an eleven year old could find them enjoyable and the only thing that could make them hold up for anyone else is nostalgia

so, for example, I might find it easy to run through ffiv even now, while ffvi and chrono trigger are less compelling and smrpg is about as fun as taking a cheese grater to my balls, because by the time those came out I was old enough to realize the story was pretty hokey and the combat mechanics are shallow and boring

whereas, you are apoplectic that I would dare insult the honor of those games, while ffiv you've heard of and maybe even tried playing through once or twice, but figure it was made before square learned how to make really good jrpgs, which again, is a contradiction in terms - square never learned how to do this and neither has anyone else

meanwhile, there is a college student reading this wondering why the gently caress anyone cares about 20+ year old games when clearly ff12 was the apex of the genre

in other words:

So basically, you're saying that FF6, CT, MarioRPG, Earthbound, etc, are not popular because of the nature of the products, but rather because of the nature of its consumers.
Does this apply to movies too? As in, would an 11 year old generally prefer the new Star Wars movies vs the old ones, figuring that those were made before Lucas figured out how to make decent flicks or something? If the example doesn't work, what is the difference that makes this phenomenon unique to video games?

What's to be said about counter-examples where other game genres had their critically acclaimed darlings in seemingly different time periods, much like Guitar Hero and its ilk? The general consensus seem to be that music games were at their best during the late PS2 / early PS3 era; Is that also not due to the nature of the products?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread