Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeuhl
Dec 15, 2009

hand is free
Legend of Legaia was a jrpg for psx that was pretty great if you played it during its heyday and also pretty difficult.

I started this up recently and was dismayed at the amount of random encounters so I hacked an accessory into my save that lowers the encounter rate and while I was at it I gave myself two accessories that regen mp outside of combat. It really made the grindy part of the game go away for the most part and I was able to sit back and enjoy.

Here are my questions

have you played this game?(beaten it? anyone?)

what ways have you "modded" some part of your JRPG experience for your benefit? (fast forward is an obvious one for every SNES rpg)

this is also a safe legaia/psx-era and earlier jrpg discussion zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeuhl
Dec 15, 2009

hand is free

Ekster posted:

is it a 3D game? PSX era 3d games tend to be rather janky, slow and unfun

The only thing this game suffers from like other psx jrpgs is the battle animations taking a while, but sometimes they're funny because people yelling out their attacks, and also I kinda just go and do something in between taking my turn which kinda mitigates that issue. Would only recommend it to people who have the tolerance for that sort of thing.

The challenge in the game's boss fights and the satisfaction for winning is pretty rewarding.

The story is funny unintentionally sometimes but the odd moment can be surprisingly gripping.

Watching little polygon block people get bitten by little polygon block monsters as the mist rolls in. Truly a harrowing experience.

When people "blush" in this game it makes all their clothes go red too.

Zeuhl
Dec 15, 2009

hand is free
Boss fights were pretty scary not just difficulty wise but the music was trying to psyche you out

good track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO4Z833om8M

Zeuhl
Dec 15, 2009

hand is free

Silver Striker posted:

hi i played and enjoyed this game. i dont think i beat it though

and the boss fights were not really that bad provided you had the right seru, but thanks to the complete RNG aspect of acquiring seru it was entirely possible that you didn't. that set of three one on one fights and then a 3 v 1 damage race is particularly bad if you don't have the right seru.

fun game, cool battle system

really you only needed the healing seru, artes could do the majority of damage you needed for bosses except for some of the powerful seru you could get. i'm not sure if it was a RNG thing, It may have something to do with number of times you defeated the monster. also there's accessories that improve the odds of getting them

I just did that boss fight with the 3 one on ones recently, the big guy you fight first is the only hard fight just because you need a certain amount of max HP to survive with the guy you're using. I just used the point card

The point card accumulated every time you bought something and if you saved up enough you could just brush aside a particular nasty boss if you didn't feel like trying to get stronger.

Zeuhl
Dec 15, 2009

hand is free

Silver Striker posted:

it was worth it i guess

when all the enemies are dead, there's a different camera angle right after you do your last attack, that lets you know if you've won

in boss fights that just keep going you're just waiting to see that glorious camera angle

Zeuhl
Dec 15, 2009

hand is free

Parallax Scroll posted:

gameshark code to make text go faster

for what game!? Xenogears?

Zeuhl
Dec 15, 2009

hand is free

SeXReX posted:

JRPGS with random encounters can rot in the same circle of hell as people who play CoD and fold money in half hot dog style.

one thing I do with save states now is use save scumming to run from random encounters

it'll work for some games:

enter battle
save state
try to run, if you fail, load state
run
success!

you still have to be a super patient pro wii u elite jrpg gamer to do this
ymmv

Zeuhl
Dec 15, 2009

hand is free

Kazvall posted:

I have beaten this game. There was a bad snowstorm in like 1999 and I spent about three days locked in my room, curled in a blanket, beating this game. I had gone through Wild Arms, so I was pretty excited for their second take on the genre. The only real negative aspect about this game is the over world moving speed. Everything else is pretty loving cool. World ending plot with secret puppet masters. A loving symbiote that gives your characters awesome special martial arts moves with the ability to catch other creatures. A tower level so awesome no other tower level can compare. It even has a Monk and a little girl who has the name Noa. That's not a god drat girls name you fucks but I'll allow it because you didn't give her giant tits. Thank you.

Thank YOU Kazvall

Perfect 1999 snowstorm game, long battle animations? Who cares? no one is in a hurry in an Imp Zone snow storm

except SeXReX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeuhl
Dec 15, 2009

hand is free

Kilroy posted:

Yep. Secret of Mana is another good one.

Menu-based combat with the tactical depth of a wet carrot, a story tailored for still-developing brains, and characterization that could only be dreamt up by an early-twenties Japanese virgin who got picked on too much in high school. Only JRPGs possess all these characteristics in abundance.

You're right in that does apply to a lot of them, and people's nostalgia definitely helps them ignore this sort of thing with their more beloved games, but I still think you're wrong.

The problem is, you've arrived at your enlightenment, no? I see these games for their faults and positives, much like any gamer sees any game?

And then we see those things.. differently than other people.

What I'm saying is: Alundra is amazing. And the only way to enjoy Kilroy's posts is to fast forward them.

Zeuhl fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 8, 2014

• Locked thread