Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Nihnoz posted:

dragon quest 3 is the best jrpg of all time.

Yeah this is the correct opinion. I started replaying it a little while ago and was actually gonna make a thread almost exactly like this one, fancy that. Anyway I haven't been playing with fast forward but I have been doing it with extensive save states in order to avoid really tedious encounters (it's not a super hard game, the way targeting works just makes things a drag sometimes), mimics (because lol why should I even try when it can deal my tank's full health in one attack), and the Parchisi boards (which also taught me that the game really actively fucks you over in not giving you dice rolls that will land you on good things). Still a great game and I'm getting all my nostalgia in playing it again but boy am I amazed that little kid me almost beat this thing on a non-backlit GBC.

Kilroy posted:

I've recently come to the shocking conclusion that JRPGs haven't gotten worse, rather they were always pretty terrible and I've just gotten better :shrug:

This is also true. I realized early on in DQ9 that no JRPGs are ever truly hard because the combat allows for like all of zero variation in strategy in any of them and that I'm really just in it because I like how lighthearted DQ stories are. Except in 5, but its Sad Moment is presented really well and I'm amazed no other JRPG has done something that cool with its gameplay tying into the narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

While we're on the topic, Breath of Fire 4 might also be one of the only perfect JRPGs out there and requires no speeding up at all because every moment of it owns bones

A lot of people prefer BoF3, but the character designs skeeve me out for whatever reason

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Great Joe posted:

secret of mana is dumb

This is correct. Legend of Mana is easily the better game.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

SeXReX posted:

If your favorite rpg isn't Seiken Densetsu 3 I'll be taking your gamer card.

You're right, I'm blinded by your skillful use of Power Word: Transliterated Japanese!

• Locked thread