Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Budohead posted:

There was a plant guy boss who would rot half your limbs so you couldn't use any super moves. That's all I got for this one.

That and TORNADO FLAME

that boss existed purely to make people poo poo themselves in impotent terror the first time they fight him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Kilroy posted:

no I mean the only jrpgs that are worth a drat are the ones you played when you were eleven, regardless of whether you were eleven in 1991 or 2008, because only an eleven year old could find them enjoyable and the only thing that could make them hold up for anyone else is nostalgia

i played ffv for the first time around a year ago, and despite being hokey and a bit silly, I found it to be a pretty fun game. i played it during that one charity thing that goons do, so the restrictions in place (you only can use four jobs, randomly picked) gave it more challenge that it usually does, but i never found myself feeling like i had to force myself to play it.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i think it also really pays to account for the era that these games were made in.

theres both a limitation of technology, but also just the limitation of the video game industry at the time, in both budget, and knowledge of what could be done with games and what does and does not work mechanically speaking.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
no kilroy, it is you that has wrong opinions about games

• Locked thread