Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

I tried playing NES Dragon Quest 1 adn the grinding really does take forever. That's probably the only one though.
The name I picked was among the worst for starting stats and character growth. Every new enemy encounter besides gold golems required me to gain another level to keep up. Genociding 100+ tutorial monsters for the not entirely lovely second weapon and fives levels to survive red slimes took hours if I didn't run the game at 4X speed. Each character in your name determines starting stats and growth. Your name had to be something like NNMMM for SNES levels of grind.

I can't imagine the fun of playing the PAL version of Legaia. That is the slowest RPG I ever played. Massive maps and slow movement speed, then you have the 50hz run speed of PAL games. The game was almost always speed toggled and it turned out to be a well made game under junky hardware. You set up some 9 input moveset that lets your character do 6 combos Arts for 30 hits or using that poo poo accessory that might let you do 10+ combos for 60 hits. Summons don't really take forever, but those easily dominate bosses and are cheap enough for packrats to not worry about using items. It was good that the strength of summons behave differently for each character on equal levels.

Hard mode hacks for Grandia made it a challenge. You can beat the normal game with combos and some items for select bosses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Doctor Goat posted:

Aside from the desert sequence I don't think there's a valid complaint about BOF4, it is just that good
Gotta catch that chicken.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

SeXReX posted:

Literally no RPG I've ever liked had random encounters why do people even think these are good.
Because having two easily avoidable enemies on screen at a time means the boss ends up being the same weakling as the last one, with a few hundred more HP. People hated the screen transitions with all the wandering around, but devs forgot that enemies need to be beaten up so you don't feel like the dungeon existed to house a flashy five minute boss fight and ten minute cutscene.

• Locked thread