Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm just getting into this game. I'm a cleric duoed with a great weapon fighter. So far everything is great except that I seem to find all of the goddamn traps with my goddamn arms.

For my build, should I be thinking more like I'm soloing or grouping? Alternately, are there any good build repositories I could look at to find a duo build? So far I've just been electric sliding behind the mobs and sending them flying into range of the fighter. But as fun as that is, I know it's not going to be viable long term.

Are there any sites with lists of important/rewarding quest lines at given levels? This is probably going to be the first free game I spend real money on, if the expansions are worth buying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Do you ever get alternate weapon types, or does everyone just stick with the type they start with? If the latter, do enemies have type-dependent damage reduction like 3.5?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Made a second character for not duoing. It's a paladin. Am I being dumb putting points into my nuke daily? I've been saving it for bosses and just trivializing them by killing their adds and then killing them from full with the daily. I know that won't work forever, but between that daily, my healing shift ability, and my divine call charges refilling in 2 seconds, I haven't even gotten close to dying yet.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

FelixReynolds posted:

Also that OP super-daily got nerfed today rather severely (67% damage reduction - now it caps out at around 30k) BUT it no longer splits itself between the targets in the AoE. So you can nuke the whole posse down! You just won't be able to insta-gib things anymore.

HR's if any of you were avoiding Aspect of the Serpent while it's been bugged, it's *supposed* to have been fixed with this patch, but I can't confirm that as of yet. If it has, should be excellent news for anyone specced into Pathfinder as you get a pretty well permanent flat damage buff back.

:flaccid:

I guess I'll just have to open with it now, and follow up with smite and sacred weapon.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Unless they needed the justice AP gain with divine call, the paladin should be able to use it every 40 seconds or so.

Does the AP gain only work in a combat zone, in combat, or what? I was spamming it in Protectors Enclave, and didn't see my die getting filled at all.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Can I get an invite for Eargesplitten@eargesplitten22?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What's a leadership mule? Do you start to have better things to do with your profession slots than leadership on your main? Right now I'm just farming AD on my only character with enough levels to have a profession.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It doesn't take nearly as long to clear groups as you'd think with a Paladin. For one thing, you can get the wizard companion, and as long as you initiate and spam damage and healing, you'll go through enemies extremely quickly. Honestly, you don't even need to hold aggro well with most groups, at least at low levels. Just target the big one with your enchanted weapon and smite, the AoE from your wizard will do the rest for you. You already provide the tanking and the healing, so all you need is a boost in damage.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Wait, you can actually block with the paladin shield? I figured it was just a re-used animation. I tried it like 10 times in the newbie zone and it never worked.

I'm finally dodging stuff with my paladin now that I have +180 movespeed on my boots. It came in really handy on a foundry that gave almost every enemy a stun/knockdown/suppress/other obnoxious telegraphed disable.

Is there a character class that does a lot of lifesteal? My last MMO was EQ2, and I loved the shadowknight there. A good chunk of my damage spells had lifesteal on them, so I never had to choose between attacking and healing.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 15, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Goofballs posted:

There is a lifesteal stat. Warlocks probably get more of it than anyone because they have a tree devoted to it. Its been gimped since the start of mod 6 though because everyone used to be able to stack so much of it easily that it made healing redundant.

Yeah, I had been using some lifesteal until I read on the gamepedia that it was actually a tiny chance to proc a lifesteal, and then I ditched it forever.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

So is strongholds going to be an open world PvP thing? It sounds like that would be just as pay to win as normal PvP.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Has anyone else ever lost an asset? I had a Guard, now I don't. Which kind of sucks, because I was just getting to the level where I actually needed one for tasks. Is there anything I can do to get it back, or should I just get to training some mercenaries?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I checked, the icon was completely gone. Only one task going, and that was a mercenary.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Wait, you can store assets in the bank? I guess it could be there, but it disappeared since the last time I logged on.

If you do want to mail me an asset, that would be really cool. I'm still grinding leadership because I can't really get too much use out of anything else yet. Maybe I'll go for weapons or plate after this, but the stats those have don't really match up with what I need. I'm soloing my OP right now, and I need more damage, not more defense.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'd be down for grouping sometime, my paladin is at 28 right now. I don't really have regular hours I play, though. We would be ridiculously unkillable between my divine call and your healing. And I have only been using the wizard companion, so he does a lot of damage. A lot of the time he will clear a trash group before I get a second swing off.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh goddammit. That HP/damage thing is going to do nothing but make everything slower for me. And I already do almost no damage in a dungeon as an OP.

Do dungeon scoreboards count your companion's stats as yours?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh gently caress this. I just finished a "train guard" task, it took all four of my mercenaries and didn't give me a guard. Or the experience.

e: Wait, nevermind. I misread my tasks.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 1, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is SW really that bad? I wanted to make one for the life steal and the cool animations. Should I go for something else? I pretty much don't heal now that I'm a Protection OP.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Huh. I was about to make a GWF before I settled on an OP. Maybe I should have stuck with my gut. Now that I look at it, they even have at least one self-heal.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Goofballs posted:

Are you just super averse to using potions or something?

Kind of, and with the pre-30 OP I survived things I shouldn't have by being able to spam divine call and my shift heal on top of potions. If I buy 2 more slots I'll probably make a GWF and get the healer companion if they have that good DPS already. I assume they also have pretty good defense, since they wear scale?

Part of it is, like I'm pretty sure I said in guild chat, my favorite MMO character ever was an EQ2 shadowknight.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Goofballs posted:

There's 3200 gold in the guild bank, no one should feel shy about dipping into that if they are short on potions because it can be filled with thousands more easily. Given the amount of leadership botting it should be considered an unlimited resource.

In that case I might buy a stack of potions, I burned through all of my normal ones fighting chyraxthis or however you spell it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well then maybe I did make the right choice. Maybe they'll balance the OP by making them less tanky, but not the absolute least damage out of any class. :unsmith:

How do you guys slot your OP skills? I am currently using Smite and Sacred Weapon for e and r, and then either Burning Light or Templar's Wrath for q. Should I drop one of smite/sacred for the other AoE? Sacred Weapon makes the next three hits taunt, but Oath Strike already taunts anyway, and so does Divine Call.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm confused, isn't the strongholds thing PvP? And isn't PvP horrible and pay to win? Are we going to try it anyway? When I say we, I mean you, since I'm still in my 30s.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Holy cow, Templar's wrath feels OP as a paladin. Maybe it drops off in later tiers, but I have been running dungeons taking almost no damage by spamming it as soon as it comes up again.

Does the end of dungeon / skirmish screen count your companion for damage? I have been consistently top in damage, so I assume so.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is there anything worthwhile to do with the bounty items other than just rolling the dice for unique items?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Those things like blackdagger insignias, many-arrows whatevers, ashmodai symbols. You can turn them in to a guy in the zone. Either 10 for a random item that might be a boss unique drop, or 30 for a lion seal. I'm getting four lion seals at a time just randomly off of dungeon mobs, so I figured a chance at a unique item is better.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is it not worth putting up the unique items on the AH, then? I got the Robes of Asmodeus from the Helm's Hold quest. I also got a blue unique a while back, but I already sold that. Do people only start putting items up once you hit 60?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'll take a look at the AH, maybe put my blues in there.

What should I be saving AD for at low levels? I'm thinking either a level 2 horse or upgrading a companion. My Wandering Wizard has hit 20, so I'm tempted to upgrade him. I only have 60k AD, though. I'm getting up in leadership levels, so I'm making ~5,000 AD per day, but that's still going to be quite a while unless you make a lot more AD at later levels in the game proper.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, I'll look into new companions as well. I'm really liking how much damage the wizard adds. I'm playing an OP, so I don't need help healing or tanking, but I do very little damage. The wizard puts me on top of the damage chart in most dungeons I run. Are there any companions along those lines I should be looking at?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Dammit. And here I am honestly goofing off and checking every few hours at work.

What should I start doing then? Alchemy? I'm still only at 40.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, I log in maybe once every two days. I was making almost 5k per day not botting, now it will take me at least another month to get a level 2 mount.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Jesus, all of the crafting that isn't leadership sucks. Do you need the generic +X weapon from the previous tier of weaponsmithing to get the +(X+1) weapon, or can you use a looted weapon at that level?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Finally something to spend my gold on.

Well, gently caress. Something else to spend my AD on.

Are there any important quests in Helms Hold, Ebony Downs, or whatever the forest with werewolves is? Because I'm tempted to just do dailies. The dragon dailies from the Harper also give AD, right?

Or do I need to finish all those zones to get more quests from Sgt Knox?

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 23, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sweet, thanks. I skipped part of Helms Hold and almost all of Ebon Downs. Part of it is just that Ebon Downs looks like tower district part 2.I just really wish they had a mentor system.

What are the big AD sinks? Mounts and marks of power?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are the damage sheets after a skirmish/dungeon accurate? Because JFC, I just got top damage on a skirmish with my OP and a crappy companion. Maybe that's why it took so long to finish.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I have been in one dungeon/skirmish where I wasn't on top. It was one where I came in halfway through the skirmish somehow. I had always attributed it to having a level 20 wizard companion, but I guess that doesn't make a difference. I'd guess the Aura of courage might be counting towards my damage, but every paladin should be running that. I am only at 43, so maybe the damage hasn't completely dropped off on paladins, but I definitely feel like other people do a lot more damage than me.

Is there a companion I should be looking at if I like the wizard? Someone said it's not worth spending the AD on upgrading it, since you generally end up wanting Ioun Stones / cats. But the wizard basically triples my damage.

Buying 500 zen gets me the welcome pack or whatever they call it, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah. I had been soloing almost everything because I tend to play at night. But with any chance of goon socialization (and goonerosity at the guild bank) gone, I haven't logged in in like 2 weeks. I'll probably keep checking in to see if they reverse the leadership change and just put in a captcha or something.

Why did Cix get banned?

• Locked thread