Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

New PvE wizard build looks like this http://nwcalc.com/cw?b=cn4:13ydj4:13ydj4,13e3ih0:150000:1z00uv:1u0000&h=0&p=ssm

Passives are storm spell and eye of the storm. Encounters are tab conduit of ice, sudden storm, steal time and icy terrain. At wills are ray of frost and chilling cloud and the daily is oppressive force.

That's about it

If you have to pvp you should really rethink that decision but people are running orb of imposition for much longer stunlocks and storm spell for damage. Shield now makes you a good bit tankier and ray of frost is the only at will you use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

From doing the new dungeon its pretty obvious that warlocks and I think hrs do more single target damage than cws. I assume trs do too but I only ran it once with a tr with much worse gear. That's with my build though. Cix gave up aoe damage for more singletarget so we'll see how that goes in a a few days

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Thought I would share some of my pms on the official forums

quote:

Well met helpimblindinrl,

Your recent post, quoted below, has now been removed. Furthermore, a look back through your posting history shows repeat offenses of being rude, disrespectful, and flinging insults. Such behavior is unacceptable on our forums.

Frankly, if you cannot discuss things without being rude, disrespectful, or flinging insults -- then please do not post on our forums. Further posting in such a manner will lead to posting right loss and may even lead to game banishment if deemed severe enough by Support.

Please take some time to read the Rules of Conduct, to which you are bound to by the very use of the forum service, and adhere to them in your future postings. Thank you.

Safe travels,
Archmage Zebular of Mystryl

The only rational response to a message like that is,

quote:

Your sign off makes you look like a gigantic tool

Apparently that did not go over well at all. He's also not allowed to even threaten banning from the game but I didn't bother bringing it up. rather punch at the most ridiculous thing.

So my next exchange

quote:

Warning: Section I Violation
You are being issued a formal warning for violation of section I of Neverwinter Forums Rules of Conduct, as per a private message that the community team has been made aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Violating PM
Sent by: helpimblindinrl
Original Content: Oh would that be the subforum it took 3 of you 2 days to remove the ad selling site link from after I repeatedly pmed mods. Amazing what catches the attention.

Your sign off makes you look like a gigantic tool
Please be aware that private messages are governed by Rules of Conduct as much as any public posts you may make, and infractions/warnings can be issued for violating RoC by means of private messages.

Further violations may result in the suspension or revocation of your posting privileges, the final determination of which to be made solely by PWE staff.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Lewstelamon01;

Neverwinter Community Moderator

To which I replied I'm sure I'll cry myself to sleep at night over telling a guy who signs grand wizard zebular that he looks like a gigantic tool.

The official forums are comedy bad and the mods on them are actually worse than the players, I both encourage and warn you against signing up to them. You might end up reading them but you might also end up ticking off some gigantic dickheads who have zero appreciation of sarcasm.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Hammerstein posted:

Whoa, an actual Archmage responded to you ?

Be moderately sarcastic to idiots and he'll talk to you too

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

rizzen posted:

So I played this a while back, and while it was fun playing an actiony D&D game vs DDO, the dungeons and bosses being super easy and boring turned me away. Has it changed from that pattern in the last year or so? I remember the bosses having almost no mechanics whatsoever.

Not really

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

Healing people as a warlock? Sold.

Couple questions, though.

1: I like to be a pretty princess. How's the gear variety endgame? Can you wear whatever you want?

2: What's the endgame like? I know it's mostly just dungeons and stuff, but are they fun? I remember someone saying boss mechanics are virtually nonexistant. Is that true?

3: How's the pvp?

...$75 to become a lizard? They DO want your money badly, holy poo poo.

There is more variety than there was and it got cheaper. Its not apb or probably even close to sto even but there is stuff you can do. It will cost some kind of currency or grind.

The boss fights are fun if you like a big brawl, they aren't fun if you want to stand in line doing your optimal rotations in waves. There is like a dungeon where you have to follow a plan in a super strict way but mostly its chaos and I like that.

The pvp is pure pay to win or grind like a total nut to win. You should act like it doesn't exist till you are geared like a motherfucker.

Subjunctive posted:

I shake my head a bit, but then I think about how much money I've spent on keys :blush:

I had a way to do skill swapping, but it broke in the update and I haven't updated it. I probably won't, but I could give someone the code I built if they wanted to take it over.

I'll ask cix if he wants it

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

You should see apb, it fell apart functionally like a year ago but you can still combine a huge quantity of symbols and colours to be the texture on different items of clothing/your car/tattoos. There's a lot of monster energy men running around but also some really good designs.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Dread ring

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

HJE-Cobra posted:

My wife and I have recently started playing this game to try it out, and I have reached level 15 and don't know much about this game yet. But then I found a blue-quality dragon bone shield on the auction house that apparently increases in power as I level up, like some kind of heirloom item from World of Warcraft, and it only cost 100 astral diamond thingies? That seems pretty cheap for what I'm assuming is an overpowered shield for level 15s. Are level 60s getting flooded with useless (for them) blue dragon bone offhands and trying to unload them on the AH or what

And my wife has gone nuts and has a level 15 and also a level 19 character after like two days of playing, help

level 15 to 19 is about an hour of gameplay probably. You level pretty fast in neverwinter. The shield and sword for gf won't overpower you probably. Its a convenience as much as anything. People use them for leveling alts because you can stick endgame enchants in them and keep going till 60 without thinking about it.

There are loads and loads of transmutes for your weapons, no idea how often you get hammers when leveling.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

HJE-Cobra posted:

Is it worth dropping a couple bucks on buying lockbox keys? I've gotten like 20 of the darned things so far. I wouldn't mind putting like 5 bucks into the game to get that "free additional character slot" freebie. Are opening lockboxes worthwhile?

Absolutely not. You almost certainly won't get anything good and will likely feel kind of annoyed with yourself after getting one. Buy a pretty dress or something if you want to drop them a fiver now or a character respec for when you get to 60 and want to remake yourself. You can also turn your five bucks into ad to buy stuff from the ah. Anything but the boxes.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

You can toss them, vendor them or hang on to them for a year when nutters will want to gamble on the old boxes and they havent dropped in ages.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Aramek posted:

Finally got the skirmish unlocked, and yeah, even on normal, the mobs don't fool around. Good times. Is there anywhere the loot tables are published? Like, I need a Dragon Gem, do those only drop from the special chest you need to buy the key for, or is there a tiny chance from the regular chest?

I've gotten 3 dragon gems from the special box and 1 dragon gem from the regular box. I don't think they publish loot tables because they don't want people turning up with pitchforks, machetes and torches outside their offices.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Patch notes

quote:

Tyranny of Dragons Preview Patch Notes NW.25.20140909a.2
Content and Environment
Castle Never: Resolved an issue with a door that would become stuck if multiple players interacted with it at once.
Lair of Lostmauth: The Fire Scorpions and the Drake Rider in the Lair of Lostmauth now drop items when defeated. Items include appropriate tier seals, gold and random rare equipment, one refinement stone or a chance for a random Tier 1 epic equipment item.
Lair of Lostmauth: Stalactites can now all be properly blocked by a Guardian Fighter and Sprint/Shadow Walk.
Shores of Tuern: The Ambush encounter will now properly reset when the party is defeated.
Shores of Tuern: The final encounter before the boss can no longer be skipped.

Items and Economy
Dragon Hoard Coins: Now have a stack size of 1000 and can now be discarded.
Fixed issue with Owlbear mounts playing normal bear mount animations.
Stacks of items with different bound properties no longer stack and no longer change their binding status.
Warlocks now have Gauntlgrym sets available for purchase with Grym Coins.
When an account is on probation, any items used to refine that are bound will cause the refined item to become bound as well.

User Interface
Auction House: The "Quality" drop down menu now includes Legendary as an option.
Resolved an issue with the Character Window that would incorrectly state that there were uncommitted changes.

Well at least they are fixing coins and lovely cn doors.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Just on the first post I think all the races apart from dragonrat are free now, when I race respecced I had free choice and I have neither lol 200 bucks package.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

The game tries to get away from the mmo trinity. Like the most tanky tank character is the guardian fighter but he's not going to have the aggro of every mob, he can typically steer the boss but the small army of mobs are going to be running around hitting peeps. What the gf can do is hugely increase everyone's mitigation while decreasing mob mitigation. That's also something the dc is going to be doing it in a different way. Like atral shield creates a safe space in a way the guardian fighter can't and the cleric debuffs tend to be on everything while the guardian fighters debuffs are on stuff he marks or if feated stuff he uses control powers on.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Elswyyr posted:

Are there some classes that are grossly overpopulated? I want to play a wizard, but I know how DPS classes have a bad habit of being the ones noone needs.

Guardian Fighter is pretty under populated right now because it was awful for about a year and became great last patch.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

The weapon crafting ones used to have the best weapons in the game, the clothes ones now have the armour kits and I guess if you have 4 purple tools you can have a go at the socketed shirt and pants. The dc weapon crafting might still be good for the offhand with the most power which you can stuff on your ioun stone.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Update 1 (7:08 AM PDT) - Maintenance has begun.
Update 2 (8:00 AM PDT) Maintenance is ongoing, estimated downtime has not changed.
Update 3 (8:24 AM PDT) Unfortunately during the maintenance process we discovered another issue that will need to be fixed. This will extend maintenance time, no ETA yet, but we will update you once we have an estimated extension time.
Update 4 (8:56 AM PDT) Looks like we will need to extend maintenance for at least another hour to 10 AM PDT. If that changes we'll let you know.
Update 5 (9:47 AM PDT) Maintenance will be extended a few more hours. Estimated downtime is until 12 PM PDT.. If that changes we'll let you know. Sorry for the inconvenience everyone, we're working hard to get everything back up and running as soon as possible.

They killed the hamster running it and need to go buy a new one

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Cheapest purple horse is the best convenience. After that an ioun stone but that's only really relevant for running endgame dungeons and really only for the harder ones.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 8, 2014

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

post is not edit durr

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I got the scourge warlock pack for like 2 million ad. Anyway you get the erinyes, weapons, cloak and headpiece on every character. Then you get a greater bag of holding and 200 charge healthstone that can be used on one character. Theres also a purple xp boost and a bunch of kits which I discarded.

Its another 750k to make the companion purple. So that's an expensive 10% crit severity. In fairness though if want to make a bunch of alts for leadership botting its great because the weapon is really overpowered for low level so you can glide your warlock to level 11 really fast and easy.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

JUgDSs4g post that into arc in the next few hours for some lovely free companion, i think its a quickling

You can get crit sev from some feats depending on your class, 2 boons 1 in iwd for 2% and the other in tod for 5% and the dancing blade at purple will give you another 5%. Wonderous bazaar sells that blue.

10% crit severity isn't a lot. 100% is normal damage + 75% for a normal crit and then 10% for a purp erinyes so 185/175 is 1.057 or 5.7% more damage multiplied by your crit chance which is like 50%ish as a stormspell so call it 2.8% difference overall. But if you stack all that and you have another 22% which is more or less like having a normal vorp on top of your perfect one. If you got the next 2 boons in the next module it would be exactly that.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 15, 2014

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

It was only supposed to be good for a bit. They got 2500 peeps watching their stream which is why they gave it away. I guess they figured only 2500 people would try to claim it. It was green with 100 movement speed on it. No one really missed out.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Dinictus posted:

Hah. But it was bind on pickup, once only, so no it wouldn't :v:

Do the active bonuses of companions get upgraded too if you spend AD on them? I checked the wiki for the Erinyes, showed only 5% crit severity.

Yeah that happens, its not super clear on the wiki but it happens. I will link it in chat later if you want.

Oh yeah call to arms pit fight is going up presently. Should be ok. You can get a shadow wolf, looks like a worg with a perfect soulforged attached to every limb.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 16, 2014

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Its the at will chilling cloud not the encounter chill strike. All of the artifact weapons buff at wills. The point of the at will isn't really to do damage, its to proc the feat frozen power transfer which will you a bonus 15% damage for 20 seconds. You need the third strike to land for it to kick in.

The ray of frost orb is very good for pvp. The most important thing on a weapon is damage obviously but freezing a dude faster is crazy good.

As a wizard you will never have enough deflection as a wizard to make it meaningful. That's for trs, grs and gwfs, gfs, dcs if they are anointed champions. Literally everyone but wizards.

The corrupt ice gear is what most people are running in pvp. You need a lot of armour pen to hurt the tanky classes. Like a gwf probably has like 50% damage resistance, 30% of that will be from defence and the rest from ac and if he's a pvper he probably has easily 40k hitpoints and 20% tenacity resistance on top of that. You can't break tenacity but you can punch through his other defences.

The purified gear is good for soloing epic dungeons. I did the dracolich fight at the weekend on it. It has a gigantic quantity of lifesteal on it. With that alone its 12% or so lifesteal. Put the endless consumption boon on top of that with a bigish store of hitpoints and you heal faster than an arena full of mobs can hurt you. Some people use it in pvp. I haven't. It would make you tankier there but everyone else is going to be tankier than you anyway so to my mind being able to actually hurt them is better than trying wo win a war of attrition that they are better equipped for.

The overload slots are at a broken level of overpowered. The red dragon glyph gives you 800 more arp for 20 seconds of every 60 and when its up it does 600 unmitigatable damage every tick of a power. The blue dragon one does damage to people that attack you even when you're stunned. The purified black overload enchant will give you 5000 temp hp when someone hits you and then goes on cd. And they're all cheap as chips. Like black ice would probably be better than the grim gear you can earn from pvp anyway but overload slots put it head and shoulders above.

Even if you get all perfect gear though pvp is still going to be rough. The classes aren't balanced and the cw right now isn't as weak as it was, its ahead of dc and sw as things stand, but its a long loving way from being amazing. The hrs is king of the shitheap at the moment by some distance but you also can't hurt a gf who holds down ctrl (Target Lock) and shift (Shield), gweefs are very tanky and do a lot of damage, they aren't what they were but its still a really strong pvp class and there's gently caress all you can do to a permastealth tr unless you know you are going to be fighting one at a point and only that perma tr at a point. We were pvping earlier and we got the same premade of 3 pvp hrs and a perma twice and poo poo was not pretty.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Oct 22, 2014

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

The dungeon itself didn't take that much longer. Figuring out how to beat the dracolich took a long time because I had to adjust my feats, change gear, boons, try different powers, passives and so on. The fight itself the time I won was like half an hour. I ran perfect vorpal, I tried greater plaguefire but it wasn't doing the job. Otherwise I was as geared as you can be.

A lot of the t2 content is probably fairly soloable if you tone down the yolo dps and build survivability. Like 12% lifesteal when you are doing no target cap aoes is huge. If you tried to heal via pots you would just get splattered. Add to that stuff like severe reaction that pushes mobs that hit you back and gives you stamina and you just end up really hard to kill. Doing all that would be inefficient for playing with other people though.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Its not wow, you don't have a million active powers. You also don't need to spend a dime if you just want to solo. I like control wizards, they are fine solo characters but so are great weapon fighters, hunter rangers. The only ones to well not avoid but are not so easy because killing stuff just takes longer are the devoted cleric and the guardian fighter.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Safe travels goons,

zebular archmage of mystral
brain damage patient

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I actually liked throwing the most when that was a viable playstyle, woosh 20 mobs off the cliff sploosh. Shard was alright but it was always interesting to see if it was going to go anywhere when you pushed it.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

The big deal with pvp gear is it has tenacity on it. You start with a default tenacity of 10% and with gear you can work it up to 20-22%. That's 22% resistance to all damage that's can't be penetrated and another 22% resistance to crits on top of that and 22% less time cced. Black ice is better because it has overload slots and maybe slightly better stats overall. The overload slots take temporary chants that give you temporary buffs like 5k temp hp, 800 arp and damage on each tick of a power, that kind of stuff.

That's all pretty meaningless in pve so the t2 sets are probably still best for that. Like you see people in black ice doing all right in pve but they probably just can't be bothered swapping enchants.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Is anyone having difficulty getting the launcher to work? Like I've tried it like ten times but it doesn't connect to the game or whatever though I can access the gateway and the official forums just fine and it just sits there saying loading for ages?

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

The Halloween event is live, missed it last time around but I recommend getting in while its on. You can have a horsehead mask which is the best thing.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Perpetual Ascent posted:

Are Guardian Fighters still absolute poo poo? I see in the OP that they may have been buffed recently. If I want to tank, am I better off rolling a GWF?

Its a solid choice right now

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I meant guardian fighters are solid now. They are really good in pvp and provide so much benefit in pve the lfg channel often has lf 1 gf for x dungeon.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 3, 2014

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Probably want to take the weapon with the at will you use most often, probably the cleave one on guardian fighter

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

That regularly happens to their forums I assume because they are cheap

And that sounds like an awful unpleasant idea on their part.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 8, 2014

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Servers went down :/

Wizards pvp probably won't get much better although people are freaking out about it as usual. Especially the chilling presence change but in real terms not so much.

Is their shitbox of a server letting you log in and dcing you after like 10 seconds?

seems semi functional again, everyone back to their dailies tea break is over

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 8, 2014

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

The new module goes live in a few hours.

The new area is a bit like Icewind Dale in that its dotted with heroics. They all seemed like major ones. I never really checked what the loot was like on them but its a thing to try out later on. Maybe we can get a big goon zerg going. It also looks a bit like brown dread ring.

As I understand it it takes a few days to unlock the raid. There's also a bunch of new artifact equipment. Offhands and necks. I think the offhands drop in raid while the neckpieces can be bought with campaign currency that drops in the lair. I'm far from sure about that. Anyway it puts a delay on that poo poo turning up in game.

Also you've the jewelcrafting profession coming which makes rings. The rings at max level will be the new best in the game. Cix has a script for that so you can get it to 20 in a hurry on your main but I don't know if its in the op yet. Its also obviously not fully tested yet because it was on the beta gateway.

There will be another double refinement weekend in December so it might be worth not putting everything in to your gear immediately.

There is also not an unreasonable chance a lot of it is going to be fairly buggy. They put a new build up 3 days before launch and some important stuff was pretty hosed up.

For example TR will now be god of aoe dps for a week or two because a feat called shadow of demise multistacks on mobs with dot encahnts doing 90k a sec on each one. Have fun with that. From what I understand they are getting megapowerful in pvp. The top tree is the perma stealth one which can be forgtten for pve, the middle one is going to be a total stunlock/semi perma tree which is going to make pvp hell on earth and the bottom one is the damage tree. That's the proper pve one and the I one shot people in pvp tree. Anyhow I saw a video of a dude killing packs of mobs with it really fast in the new zone so it should be decent. Maybe a week before the champion autists post their builds and you can just copy directly.

Warlock is getting a new paragon. Apparently you gather "soul sparks" by doing damage and then expend them to do more damage. Something like that. Its not something I especially paid attention to. When it hit preview initially it was considered wildly too weak. So it got buffed. I have no idea how it is now. Devoted cleric is also getting a boatload of changes I haven't taken the tire to understand in anyway. They have damage now or can be unkillable or they can heal. So yeah. There are mechanics supporting that and maybe one day someone will explain them to me.

Anyhow see you all later

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

In pve the mobs would be dead before you got to your second bilethorn proc. Better to use a plaguefire because the extra stacks are probably coming off the dots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Don't know for sure if that bug made it to live. It was certainly in the last preview build which is around the time prepatching started happening.

• Locked thread