Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Bagpuss posted:

Just hit 60 and I'm running around like a headless chicken, can Bagpuss@notcityofdoors get a guild invite thanks.

Don't worry, pretty soon you'll figure out what it's all about and only run around like a headless chicken for 30 minutes a day before starting in on the finer things in life like bombing pinatas all over the Moonstone Mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

ZAX now has actual sell orders up that don't disappear immediately!

Finally have been able to convert all the spare AD I had built up over 6 months of not playing but running Sub's script at work into Zen and got myself the lizard-man Pack of Infinite BagSpace.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Elswyyr posted:

I'm gonna give this a try again. What are the major things you can't get without spending cash, and what's the class with the most action-y combat? I want to be doing combos, mashing buttons, etc

Well, there are only a few things you really absolutely cannot get without spending money- namely the various Packs (Feywild, Guardian, Hero of the North) that are on sale right now. Everything else you can purchase through the Zen market, and there is an AD (which you earn through playing and doing various things) to Zen exchange. Major things that usually come up as good things to throw Zen at are Character slots and Mounts (which are usually account-wide).

As to the combat you're looking for, if you really really like mashing buttons then I'd say try a Hunter-Ranger, if only because due to the way their stances work they effectively have double the amount of at-wills and encounters to use at any one time. If you try to play it as a hybrid melee/archery character, you're definitely in for something a lot more action-y than a class that has a much more 'standard' rotation- but as per usual that's just my two cents, mileage may vary.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

RickDaedalus posted:

You got your points back because they reset everyone last module due to power and feat balancing. I heard it said to never buy retraining tokens, just wait for a new module to drop.

I thought it was only feats that were reset (which you can do with AD)? They definitely didn't reset any Powers, Paragon paths, or ability increases on any of my toons (which sucks, because I thought they would when they introduced the new Paragon tree for HR but nope, if you want to play it either buy a respec or roll a new toon) - did I just miss out?

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

It would be amazeballs if somebody more knowledgeable than I were to post up any kind of updated GF build, ideally one for PvE and dungeon clearing as I don't PvP much. Mine has been sitting at 60 for months thanks to the script and I feel it's finally time to grind some boons with him and start gearing, but all the guides on the forums are over a year old and haven't been updated. Elf cookies to everyone that helps. Promise.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

I'm slowly, gradually coming to terms with the fact that I probably won't play NW again.

If you've been around long enough that I know you, or can get someone I know to vouch for you, and want my purple/blue profession assets, let me know with your character@account and I'll try to remember to patch up Arc and send you poo poo.

This makes me a sad panda. You have made my Neverwinter experience infinitely better, and I just want to second the statement from earlier in the thread that you don't get thanked enough. So thank you, and if you do decide to rain down purps and blues from the heavens above to fellow Goons then Ellenan Xorlarrin@felixkelll would be even more grateful. But they'd be loans only, just because 'probably' isn't 'definitely', just like when you helped me unlock my first T3 result slot many moons ago.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Falented posted:

See for yourself, friend: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/9000373-neverwinter%27s-upcoming-class-balancing-changes

EDIT: This is completely unrelated and more of a friendly suggestion than anything, but I think we should stop putting major stat potions of X (tidewalking, rejuv, etc.) into the guild bank for the time being, since we have 99 of each in there right now, no one's touching them, they clutter up the bank, and people get them when they invoke anyway. They're practically worthless, so let's just throw them away or vendor trash them instead of letting them clog up another bank tab. If people use all the ones in there, then we can add more, but for now, if you don't need them, please just discard them. Thanks for listening.

EDIT 2: This does not pertain to Divine Potions (Elixer of Life, Elixer of the Moonmaiden, etc.) or Major Potions of Healing, excesses of which should continue to go into the guild bank. Gracias.

Agreed with potions bit, also apologies to anyone who got in touch with me about Sub's things work has been a bit crazy hectic- will get back to everyone tonight!

Also, for anyone working on power leveling Alchemy, feel free to take stacks of pots from the guild bank to dramatically speed up the process if you aren't already. Having the required potion types on hand means you just crank out heaps of Aqua Vitae/Regia and Experiment non-stop, which makes leveling Alch to 20 (and getting that much closer to another slot) much faster!

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Captain Hats posted:

I'm back on the MMO train in spite of myself, and I'm missing the fun of a guild chat. Can I get an invite at Kreliss@drumstickm please?

If nobody else has got this I'll kick you one when I log on tonight!

Also, as much as I get that the rage for a while has been lets make the bosses absurdly large (still can't help but laugh every time you do the Pirate dungeon and he's 15 feet tall) this is just getting a bit nuts for me.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Trebuchet King posted:

Oh, and unrelated, but something I was curious about--is it possible to get the big bundles (Knight of the Feywild, etc) with zen converted from AD or are those real money only?

Only one you can get for AD is the Dragonborn Legend bundle - others are cash only and have been as long as I've been playing.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Double Refinement this weekend. So all that good stuff you were saving for a month from now you can get rid of EVEN SOONER.

:yay:

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Goofballs posted:

Being honest the stuff in the cash shop is pretty over priced. They've gone for whales over lots of little purchases so the left over 5 bucks wont go too far. The extra character slots are a good idea. Even if you don't play them. If you get a mook to a 11 you can park them in the enclave and have them generate in game currency with the leadership script in the op. It takes them a while to start generating real quantities, like a month and a bit, but in the long run doing that is the smart move.

Cannot second this enough- when I was out in Malaysia on my last gig and couldn't play for a solid 3-4 months I just had all of my toons farming 24/7 using the script, and when I came back to the game just after Mod 4 released I was rolling in AD and able to buy the Legendary Dragonborn (which has heaps of great stuff, including a massive bag for all characters) without spending another cent.

Moral of the story? Character slots all the way. :D

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Goofballs posted:

Invites sent, if you log in and it pops up and goes away ask in the dndgoons channel, me mostly communicate in guild but mostly everyone still has an eye on that.

Tiamat is going to be on live Friday

What you do is go to the well of Dragons area, and go to the temple area. You get in that way. Its going to be once every hour and it lasts about twenty minutes.

If we get a lot of people on who have the area unlocked we could make several teams of five. If we get 10-15 goons in a twenty man instance that would be pretty cool. Or we could plan for at some point over the weekend. Getting together for a proper event seems like a nice.

I'm down for Friday evening EST through until the early wee hours of the morning!

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Dinictus posted:

Sure it is. At L20 it's pretty much impossible to have gotten 5G through normal gameplay, anyway.

As for identifying, during the grind towards L60, just stick identifying green class gear and any blues only. Sell to the vendor what cannot be used, but keep an eye on selling your blues on the AH for some additional diamonds. Who knows, some people would want that for the PVP, pre-L60. You'd only run out of your scrolls if you picked up and identified every green item you picked up.

Also feel free to take as many potions and kits as you possibly want for leveling and professions. Plenty of us are sitting on stacks of the Leadership rewards we have to open up en masse eventually so if the guild bank ever runs out of those they're easy to replace.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Yeah I have to say the month-long sublet I'm in has absolutely terribad internet so no MMO's for me whilst I look for a more permanent place, and I can't say I really miss it after the ridiculous-ness that was the Tiamat patch.

Did jump on during the huge Christmas sale though to buy a whole bunch of purple mounts because what the hell else am I going to do with the AD piling up. So now I have both variety of Unicorn and can roleplay out one being an abusive police officer...

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Welp, here it is: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/9062673-announcing-module-6%3A-elemental-evil%21

Paladins *AND* a level cap increase? I'm actually excited! And I finally have weekends free!

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Falented posted:

Logged in today and cix linked me to his latest script version, so I stuck it in the OP and deleted all the other ones, which were badly outdated. Will probably make a new thread come Mod 6, unless people have objections to that for some reason.

*rabble rabble rabble*

Sounds like a great plan, thanks for the updated script- I finally am settled in enough to get things up and running again, hopefully will see some of you online!

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Falented posted:

Welcome aboard. Glad we could have you for dungeon runs tonight.

Are nightly dungeon runs back on as a thing or is it just a general 'if people are about we run them' as per usual? I don't often have much time but if people are getting back into the game I'll try to be better about getting on at hours not 4 AM in the morning US time. :D

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Also don't forget that adding enchants and whatnot to your gear also helps heaps with your GS, so strip out those R1 & 2's you popped in when you were still experimenting on your way to L60 and drop in some R5+'s.

I'll finally see you folks this weekend! So excited. Also, should probably figure out which of my chars got respecced this time before running into a dungeon with no feats/powers. :D

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

axelsoar posted:

Um excuse me? +2 to Charisma sir, these guys are clearly dapper as gently caress.

Not to mention you can totally buy the pack from the zen store which means you can be dapper as gently caress whilst ALSO not shelling out! Though I kind of jonesing on the metallic dragonborn atm but now way to get them except for frantic mass chest openings...

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Yeah, I just came back after a long break and my gearscore for my level 60 cleric was like 4.5k. But I pretty easily got it over 10k just from buying a T1 set of four for around 20k AD. Now I just have to do the endless dailies to unlock Icewind Dale.

Also, what the hell does "zerg time" mean? I see everyone saying it in the Well of Dragons along with their gearscore. Is it the secret password to fight Tiamat or something?

And inkmoth I chose the Soul Puppet path too just because, and I haven't really run into any trouble with it. I don't care much about min-maxing though. I did get some sort of respec token from that 500 zen welcome pack, so I might try something else out just to see.

The zerg meta for the Tiamat boss fight involves the following:

The fight is designed as a 25-man group type thing where there are five dragon heads that need to be killed at the same time - in a nutshell, you're supposed to break into 5 groups of 5 and then coordinate dropping your heads all at the same time. If you don't and someone drops a head early, during one of the periodic "now the boss is invincible go fight these other dudes on Endor to drop the shield on the Death Star!" the head that was killed comes back with full health, thus negating a large chunk of work. However, what people found early on is that if you just ball up and run around as a group of 25, you can get each head very low very quickly, and then knock them all out in a single round. Works heaps better to finish the fight when even at best case you're grouped up with 20 other people you don't know and who may not listen to what they need to do.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

Having overcome my horror at the lack of gnomes I made a GFW and am going to try out wizard and I guess I'll sign up for the goon guild whenever I pick which I like more

Obligatory "Why not both?"

But honestly, extra char slots are one of the best things to buy with zen, so if any of you do want to throw 5-10$ at the game after enjoying it for a while, that's what I would recommend. Along with letting you play through the same content but with different classes, once you've gotten over the novelty they can be pressed into forced servitude by our lord and savior ProfessionBot to make you more AD, which you turn in to more Zen, which you turn into more character slots, which make you more AD... :peanut:

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

inkmoth posted:

So this CTA, it doesn't seem to give XP - is it still worth spamming it over and over to try and get the companion?

If it's anything like other CTA's post-drop rate nerf, if you really really want the companion you can usually find them swamping the AH for 10-20k diamonds during the event and then immediately after. As to whether it's worth it, as with most of the content it comes down to if you enjoy it because the drops aren't really anything other than cosmetic in nature so ymmv.

Disclaimer: I haven't logged since this event started so this could all be horrendously wrong.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

sicarius posted:

So if someone was just starting this game, what would be the recommendation. I skimmed the OP and it seems as if Control Wizard might be the way to go, but should I be buying any of these Steam packs or whatever the case may be?

If you are going to put money into the game just direct-dropping 5$ or so in is a reasonable idea, as you get the first time buyer's pack and some spare zen to play with. The Steam packs are mostly the same things you can buy direct from PW, and if you want to drop 60$ on the game the Feywild one is a better bang for your buck if you can stand unicorns - the mount and companion are purple quality. Avoid the Steam Starter pack though unless you absolutely have to have a Salvatore-esque Figurine of Wondrous Power thing.

As to what to do with your Zen, my preference is always character slots as they a) give you more options to play with and b) translate into free AD/Zen if you use the script in the OP . Otherwise, buying a purple mount from the store is definitely the biggest quality of life improvement you can get, and it's account wide.

CW's are fun, but my heart is and always will be with my dear hybrid HR's. :D I really should finish up the guide I've been working on that has gone through three mod revisions now and still never seen the light of day.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

aegof posted:

So how big a deal is Tenacity in pvp? Is it worth buying stuff in the auction house every few levels, if you're pvping a lot?
(I may have filled up my last character slot with a rogue. Guess I'll need to buy more in a couple weeks when the paladin shows up.)

Just to echo Goofball's post from earlier regarding PvP:

Goofballs posted:

It is the purest form of pay to win you will find on the internet. Theoretically you could grind everything you need to be reliably competitive but the servers will turn off before you get there. Realistically you could have over 100 alts and use the leadership bot and get enough in game currency that way. Cix did that. It reliably works.

If you don't want to pay big bucks, grind for real life years or take the time to set up a perpetual money machine stay the gently caress out of pvp. I'm not exaggerating even a little. A dude in the gear you can get after lets say 6 months is going to be crushed to pieces by guys in the top end gear, reliably. Skill will not be a factor. The sheer weight of numbers will do it.

Pve you don't need to pay for though. You could and maybe you want to throw them 30 bucks at some point for an ioun stone and a purple horse but you can get by just fine without paying. But they are providing a lot of entertainment so giving them sane amounts is fair. Just not the whale money idiots throw at it.

Scourge warlock is the weakest class for pvp. Wizard isn't exactly super in pvp. Rangers are pretty good but right now pvp is all just trs one shotting people. The only people they can't really one shot are cws. The only people cws an kill are warlocks though so it kind of doesn't matter.

So stats are definitely a big deal, but whether or not you're getting enough of a boost from them vs. people spending waaaay more than you is up to you to determine. Up until 60 htough shouldn't really be a concern, I always just PvP'd in whatever I was in for the sake of finishing the daily and then stopped once I hit 60.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Goofballs posted:

Apparently its a double xp weekend. Ill be making alts.

AND Character slots are on sale!

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Masonity posted:

So pause the script and level alchemy to 3 on all alts, then ask to borrow the assets, quickly knock out a rank 3 100% speed result on each alt then mail the assets back?

Getting alchemy to 3 on all my alts will be my project for tonight then.

Flick me a mail in-game @felixkelll and if you don't already have the Alch purps I'll mail them through to you before lunch.

Slow day at the office this morning so I'm using the time to level more alts to 10.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Masonity posted:

Thanks. Sent it to Felix Brightheart as it wouldnt let me send it to your account as a whole.

Sent, day late but my power supply decided to finally give up the ghost. Sorted now though and they should be in your inbox! Best of luck with that Rank 3 result, took me quite a few tries because the RNG gods hate me.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Masonity posted:

Thanks. Which jobs should I be using them on to try to get a rank 3 result or is it obvious what can get different ranked results?

Any of the rare batch potion tasks starting at Rank 3 can return it (that's what I used for mine, but full list can be found here) and have really easy mat requirements. You should be able to see what your chances are/what you get if you do get Rank 2 or 3 when you're slotting out the task in the professions menu, if you don't see odds on a Rank 2 or 3 result it means that task can't get one.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Double Monocle posted:

Thanks I did just that.

Now Im noticing they max out at rank 15. My dude is level 40 now and my companion hits for roughly 1/20th of what my healing specced cleric does with his at will. Do I have to pay real money for a decent companion, or can I earn one somehow?

You can get an absolutely boatload of green (and sometimes blue) companions from events and promo codes, so unless there is one you absolutely have to have because :reasons: you shouldn't pay for any of them. What you're going to want to aim for eventually is an augment companion (an ioun stone or the cat) which you can buy with AD, though come Mod 6 that may change but overall they're the most solid choice at end-game because of the stat boosts and not having to worry about dumb companion AI pulling aggro on things you don't want it to.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Funkmaster General posted:

I'd like to start a guild today, but we need 5 people on at once to do it. ALSO I want to kill charthraxis but nobody else seems to care enough to fight him.

So if you're playing on xbone add GT Shiny Pidgey and let's do these things. I'm going to be on for most of the day.

I don't know if the xbone has the same instance system as the PC, but especially with the zone-specific heroic dragons you definitely want to try instance hopping around to get to one with a high population as that's more likely to have randoms trying to kill him - usually when I needed to drop them for the campaign quests it took me a few tries to find an instance that a) had enough people around to do it and b) had a timer that I was able to catch without waiting too long or having him dropped before I could run across the entire map to shoot him in the face once.

EDIT: Also, had a buddy mention that the ZAX is currently at 110 AD : 1 Zen right now, so I highly, highly recommend any and all Xbox goons to buy up as much of it with AD as you can now and use it or sit on it as if it follows the trend on the PC it'll cap out at 500 eventually.

Beluga Snail fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 5, 2015

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

axelsoar posted:

Can I borrow alchemy tools from someone to make a rank 3 result so I can get my profession slot? My character is HashtagBaldursGate@angryaboutelves

Sure thing, I'm currently off until tomorrow night/early Tuesday for Easter break but as soon as I'm back I'll mail them off! If someone else manages this before just send 'em back.

Also, it'll be really interesting to follow the ZAX on Xbox, as you're entirely right that there is a lower potential for botting and goldfarming but I'm curious how that stacks up against a possibly larger population base that is (in my opinion) far more likely to consider spending decent chunks of change on that game. I could be completely wrong, but we'll see!

EDIT: Good lord reading the neverwinter subreddit right now is painful. I mean, I know there are always 'PC Master Race' numbnuts floating around but the number of topics popping up with things like "How do I jump?"/"Anyone want to trade this SICK l33t Lvl 15 blue gear I got"/"How do I sell stuff"... ah well. Launch week will be over soon. What can I say, I'm an elitist rear end in a top hat. :D

Beluga Snail fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 6, 2015

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Do you know what the exact numbers are for what you need for the new gear? I've heard somewhere from 50-100 fallen dragon fangs and like 500 dragon hoard coins. I have over a thousand coins so I'm not worried about that, but I think I might be short on the other stuff.

Don't know how accurate this is, but here is what I was using to stockpile resources:

http://blog.nwo-uncensored.com/?p=225

I do know that the bit about stockpiling Heralds rewards was patched out, but I believe the numbers for Fangs, Linu's, and Coins should be correct.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Comrade Koba posted:

I'm currently working my way through the lower 40's, leveling by doing quests and a dungeon or two now and then. Is this the best/most efficient way of leveling, or should I be doing something else?

Also, when I eventually start doing the max level campaigns, do I need to do them in the order they were released? Should I even do them all, or are there any worth skipping?

Best way to level is definitely just progressing through the quests as you're given them, if you do absolutely *everything* you can you'll even come to a few points where you can end up skipping entire areas because you end up leveling that fast.

As for campaigns, you should be able to start the first two (Sharandar and Dread Ring) right away and work on them concurrently, getting to IWD requires having at least two boons (which are easiest to get in Dread Ring) and then I can't remember the requirements to get to the Well of Dragons but if you've been working on your ToD campaign you should also have it open up pretty quickly. You *should* end up completing all of them at some point if only for the boons, but depending on how Mod 6 plays out that may or may not change.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

The across the board 20% damage buff for GFs will also certainly be nice.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Look like it's up, I just logged in. Laggy as all hell though.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

So apparently if you have heaps of stockpiled Herald Heroic Rewards the tweak that the devs announced and pushed to preview that would make the rewards based on the level you received them at didn't make it to live.

Which means if you have stockpiled heralds still unopened, open them up ASAP as they potentially contain Greater Artifact Belts.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Welp, I had a code from PAX East saved to use myself, then I bloody never logged in.

This is for the Trove of Elemental Evil. It says "Open this trove for a chance to find treasures of the Elemental Planes!"

Says it is available March 17th... hopefully it didn't expire: kTvipah7

I just ask that you post if you redeemed it.

Tried and someone has already redeemed, just as a heads up for anyone else. Thanks for the offer though!

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

inkmoth posted:

Goddamn, didn't have enough cell signal to post on my phone apparently. I tried to do this before poor Felix tried - I'm the one that got it.

And it gave me a seemingly-worthless level 1 weapon :P

Ha, no worries. Didn't ruin my day or anything.

Also, dear lord the amount of rage being generated by people who don't realize you should level back up to 70 before trying the endgame zones like WoD is highly entertaining.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Right so the new Invocation appears to be borked - at least for me, anytime I get a new round of Vigilance quests it resets my invocation counter back to the first tier. Which means that so far I haven't been able to get to that coveted 7th tier. Oh well.... hopefully it's fixed soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Where are you guys finding is the best zone to try to farm Unified Elements? I had a decent run last weekend in Spinward, but for the last week or so I haven't seen any of the dailies there offering them as rewards when I check so I'm wondering if maybe I should start checking out another of the zones on a regular basis.

• Locked thread