Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I am watching a stream and it would appear that my thoughts based on the alpha are confirmed

the bosses are just bullet sponges and endurance fights. that doesn't seem like it is actually fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
Ya this game is never going to finish installing . On another note this is my first halo so wish me luck goons

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

1. Five nights

2. At

3. Freddy

4. 's

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
10 years of support.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fnks1Xone24

The final boss is a bunch of weak enemies and a few really big dudes that stand still and shoot rockets at you, and then the game ends with Peter Dinklage monotonely announcing that you revived the big white ball on Earth and then another robot voice-acted by Simon Pegg's stepdad in Shaun of the Dead gives a lovely speech and then another stupid monotone robot gives you a rifle for basically saving the world.

So yeah you can talk poo poo about Halo all you want but at least all the characters in that weren't loving robots.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 9, 2014

Dec 26, 2012

this looks like hot garbage, and i dont think i would get this game even if it did make it to pc. well, bye

Gooth
Jul 9, 2012

Makes the world taste good!
I bought Watch Dogs at full price. I'm not sure I'm allowed to have standards for games anymore. I'm just a loving consumer now. Put the next pile of garbage in front of me and I'll pay $60.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
LMFAO, they named the enemy of the game "The Darkness" and the good guy "The Light." gently caress, I know Bungie wasn't revolutionary with their naming schemes for their enemies, but this is just lazy.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

What do you do after you beat the game?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Sir John Feelgood posted:

I'm guessing the raids, which if they're anything like normal bosses consist of shooting a bullet sponge boss that can one shot you for far longer than is entertaining

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Sir John Feelgood posted:

isnt this the kind of loot game you run endlessly for legendary drops or whatever

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I'm guessing the raids, which if they're anything like normal bosses consist of shooting a bullet sponge boss that can one shot you for far longer than is entertaining

probably, and they don't even open up until next week

Mr. Pumroy posted:

isnt this the kind of loot game you run endlessly for legendary drops or whatever

there's a lot of grinding, yes

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

so it is gonna be like diablo where someone crunches the numbers forthe best loot 2 effort ratio and then just run that dungeon endlessly and that is yor endgame

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

SunAndSpring posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fnks1Xone24

The final boss is a bunch of weak enemies and a few really big dudes that stand still and shoot rockets at you, and then the game ends with Peter Dinklage monotonely announcing that you revived the big white ball on Earth and then another robot voice-acted by Simon Pegg's stepdad in Shaun of the Dead gives a lovely speech and then another stupid monotone robot gives you a rifle for basically saving the world.

So yeah you can talk poo poo about Halo all you want but at least all the characters in that weren't loving robots.

I thought you might have been exaggerating just a little bit but nope the fight really is like that lol.

Nice job Bungie, way to have worse encounter design than Doom, a game that came out in 1993.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

CharlestonJew posted:

Nice job Bungie, way to have worse encounter design than Doom, a game that came out in 1993.

tbf this applies to all other games too

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Are there any big vehicle areas or flying levels like Reach? How about a Scarab battle?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
http://www.gamezone.com/originals/2014/09/09/the-user-reviews-of-destiny-are-proof-that-metacritic-needs-to-go-away

pls do not bully the Bungie. They gave me a free game.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I like how when user reviews slam poo poo like da2 and cod they're upheld as the single bastion of truth, but when it's this particular over hyped thing it's a travesty

Gooth
Jul 9, 2012

I feel like I see at least one of these really sad articles every time an overhyped AAA game gets released.

Dec 26, 2012

Gooth posted:

I feel like I see at least one of these really sad articles every time an overhyped AAA game gets released.

give it time, youll see more

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I like how when user reviews slam poo poo like da2 and cod they're upheld as the single bastion of truth, but when it's this particular over hyped thing it's a travesty

He doesn't complain about people giving it good reviews despite it being out for like a day, so the dude is probably working through major regret over playing this dumb boring game.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
IGN: Destiny is a Good Game and Anyone That Claims it is Not is Bad and Wrong

Game Informer: Destiny: How Is Every Single Player So Wrong About it Being a Bad Game?

Kotaku: How Destiny is Like Citizen Kane

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

lol at that ending. The first Halo I finished was Halo 3, and at the end of that you shot a floating robot that made a noise like the Crazy Frog when it died.

Why does every mission in Destiny have to end with a completely empty 30 second countdown? Just sit there and have a long hard think about how much fun you're having?

Gooth
Jul 9, 2012

keithy george posted:

Why does every mission in Destiny have to end with a completely empty 30 second countdown? Just sit there and have a long hard think about how much fun you're having?

I don't know why but I do find this more upsetting than any of the other problems with the game.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

keithy george posted:

hundreds of hours of gameplay

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Who needs paid-off journalists when gamers themselves will volunteer to be the most deplorable shills?

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

zen death robot posted:

To be fair, user reviews are almost as bad as professional ones.

To be accurate, people only say that poo poo when they disagree with the user reviews. You don't see goon rage over the negative user reviews for poo poo like CoD and DA2 and Madden games.

I honestly feel bad for some of the people that write user reviews because if you look at some of the ones in metacritic people break down poo poo and do real analysis and yeah, nobody's gonna read that.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

is there even a single game on metacritic that doesn't have people frothing at the mouth in user reviews

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i like the gameplay so far but the actual game is set up to maximize loading screens

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

tranime scholar posted:

is there even a single game on metacritic that doesn't have people frothing at the mouth in user reviews

No. There is not.

User reviews are 0 or 10 with virtually nothing in-between, except tryhard reviews that nobody will ever read, and those 0s and 10s are all people frothing at the mouth one way or the other.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

zen death robot posted:

I think metacritic user reviews are pretty bad no matter what, really. Most of the votes are really extreme on any given game, because no one puts thought into that poo poo.

Some people do!

Example:

some dude's pvz review posted:

This is a fun and addictive game and I’d love to give it a 10. It’s close to that very high rating but a few issues hold it back. I’ll outline the good first and end with its flaws, most of which are correctable and hopefully addressed in the near future.

The game has a style and charm that are immediately recognizable and enjoyable. The various buildings and characters all look like 3D realizations of the plants vs. zombies 2D games and the weapon effects are highly appropriate; the zombie foot soldier’s stink bombs leave lingering purple clouds, the chomper looks like the dangerous predator it is while still maintaining the comical look of the game universe, and such things as fake noses, snack tray hats, concrete glasses, and a host of other customization options all aptly display the game’s whimsical nature even while shooting the opposing team with gusto.

The sounds are also well done and add even more magic to the atmosphere of the battles. These range from the various zombies cries of ‘brains’, the sunflower’s happy chirping vocalizations, the way the zombie engineer’s devices all sound like someone making machine sounds with their mouths, the pseudo-speech of both Dr. Zomboss and Crazy Dave as they declare various in-game events, and the zombies ‘rar rar raring’ the chorus for Beethoven’s ‘Ode to Joy’ when they win a round of Gnome Bomb.
Game modes and maps are a bit limited but still enjoyable.

The maps are really well done and so far I like them all. The game features one co-op mode; Garden Ops, the rest are all team vs. team and include; Team Vanquish (death match), Gardens & Graveyards (plants defend, zombies attack), and Gnome Bomb (hot potato to blow up 3 enemy gardens/graveyards without losing yours). The Vanquish Confirmed game mode is not on PC at the time of this writing. Gardens & Graveyards is my favorite and it seems to be many other players’ as well. It allows both teams to use the stickers they get from the shop to summon reinforcements and the attack/defend mechanic works very well in this game making these modes great fun as either side.

Star challenges are how you level up your classes and are in-game tasks to unlock a star, once you unlock enough of these that class will level up. At first this is how you unlock your additional special ability slots but later you get class specific sticker packs you can open via the Sticker Stop.

The sticker shop is quite fun and despite some rumors it does not require you to spend real money, although that option does exist. You get PvZ coins for playing the game and then spend them at the shop to open various packs of stickers as well as the aforementioned automatic class stickers. The better you perform in game, both on a personal level but also by helping your team, I want to stress how much the game encourages teamwork here, the more coins you get and the higher your placement in the scoreboard at the end of a round. Packs currently cost from 1,000to 40,000 coins depending on what you wish to buy.

The stickers open up class variants, customizations, weapon upgrades, and reinforcements you can use in Garden Ops mode (plants only) and Gardens & Graveyards (both plants and zombies). You also get revivals and re-tries for Garden Ops mode and star challenge cards, these last cards will let you bypass challenges by using the stars to complete them immediately.

With all that good comes the bad. The DRM has been brought up other reviewers and it requires Origin to buy and play since the game is always online. Also the lack of maps and map modes may be limiting its longevity but this is easily fixed in patches and they’ve already added maps and mods since its initial console launch. The game auto-connects to servers when we should have a server list that lets us pick as well as tagging servers as favorites or blacklisted. Team balance is overall good but you can get stuck on a team for round after round and if it’s bad, your only recourse is to get lucky as people join/leave or you leave the server. But if you do leave a bad server team, and join the same game mode again, it will often just put you right back where you were since you can’t pick servers.

The worst thing right now however is the microphone issue. I cannot stress enough how annoying this can be. The game has no way to set it and it defaults to auto-voice detect with no option to mute yourself or set push-to-talk like we really need. You will often join a server and be bombarded with coughing, static, background noise, etc. until you can tab out to the scoreboard and toggle mute all. This is a serious irritation and must be addressed ASAP.

In conclusion this is a fun and addictive experience with a lot of charm and is a blast to play, but with a few flaws that need to be corrected, especially that microphone problem. I’m an older gamer (44) and I love this game and look forward to fixes and more content!

Mr.Unique-Name fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 10, 2014

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

*article writer strolling down the street, finds a street sign with 'school sux' scrawled on it'

Oh really? First of all....

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Some people do!

Example:

I read all of this. I don't know why.

Eggs
Apr 15, 2007
It's a bad game lads.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

destiny is a fun game, however, i think it was massively overhyped.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
it's fun but flawed. the people expecting a gaming miracle that would usher in the Golden Age of Gaming are idiots.

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Some people do!

Example:

i agree with you, i feel bad for anyone trying to make a good point on metacritic. it'll inevitably be lost in a sea of 0/10 WORST THING THAT EVER HAPPENED IT'S LITERALLY HITLER and 10/10 GOTY ALL YEARS PUT THIS GAME IN THE GUGGENHEIM

navigation
Sep 30, 2009

keithy george posted:

it's so you can pick up your loots that might be scattered around on the ground before you get whisked away.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
Is anyone in here my friend? Lets play. I'm BrettRobb on ps4

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

BrettRobb posted:

Is anyone in here my friend? Lets play. I'm BrettRobb on ps4

I will try to remember to add you after work tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU