Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryoto
Jul 23, 2005
So is it pretty much established that Meyer was behind the assassination attempt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's as beautifully filmed as ever but that was pretty uneven, and the time skip was pretty drastic. I did love the Vice President's inspirational speech before blowing his brains out though :laugh:

Ryoto posted:

So is it pretty much established that Meyer was behind the assassination attempt?

Yeah, I think Nucky realizes at the end that Meyer is trying to jostle in and get into that "first" position to take advantage of the repeal of prohibition, which also puts him as the #1 suspect in the assassination attempt since Nucky is his only real competition for getting the Bacardi deal.

Very sad that we won't see any more of Rothstein.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Young Commodore's ascot game in this episode was strong.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Why did Lansky even go through the trouble of hiring a prostitute to play his wife when he's just gonna have some guy with a machete go after Nucky a few hours later?

muscles like this? posted:

Edit: And that's how all of the Mafia bosses in NYC got syphilis.
Is this for real? I know nothing about Mafia history but my only thought during that whole ceremony was that it looked like a huge unsanitary pain in the rear end to go through every time they get a new member.

nooneofconsequence posted:

and I really don't want to see Margaret connected back to Nucky in some convoluted way but I don't see where else that will go.
How would Marge In Charge helping AR not get screwed over in the stock market in exchange for a swank pad tie back to Nucky?

Also yeah, if they're gonna have this much Young Nucky content in the final episodes I sure hope they at least do one ep that just focuses on what's happening in Chicago.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Illinois Smith posted:

Why did Lansky even go through the trouble of hiring a prostitute to play his wife when he's just gonna have some guy with a machete go after Nucky a few hours later?

I don't think he hired her to impersonate his wife, just had her around because he was in Cuba on business and felt like having a prostitute. There was no planned deception, he told Nucky he was on vacation with his wife to put Nucky at ease in the moment. Seeing Nucky there probably made Lansky realize they were both looking for the same business, and thus the assassination attempt. The surprising thing is that Nucky bought the "vacation" line in the first place, knowing Lansky as well as he does.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Seeing droopy Luciano made me laugh is it okay to laugh since he's a bad person

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
The flashbacks are well-shot and compelling enough, but so far haven't really told us anything we didn't already know about Nucky, and I'm wondering what they can reveal which will both be a) important and b) somehow not mentioned thus far over the 4-11 years we've had the character.

Also how bummed was the that child actor do you think when they told him he was a shoe-in to play "Young Steve Buscemi"

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
What this episode was really missing for me (aside from, you know, explanation of what happened to all the characters) was another 10-35 minutes of some woman's monotonous voice reading a poem which appears to be longer than recorded history.

They should have had that for the entire episode, with everything happening in the background.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Have they mentioned Nuckys sister before?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Forgive me but I tend to forget everything that happens in TV shows season to season but...we don't know why Chalky was in prison, right? I thought last season ended with him sitting in his club watching his daughter die.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Pron on VHS posted:

Forgive me but I tend to forget everything that happens in TV shows season to season but...we don't know why Chalky was in prison, right? I thought last season ended with him sitting in his club watching his daughter die.

With a 7-year jump, no. It looked like he had recently been caught, and all we got from him for the time being was "I got caught."

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Pron on VHS posted:

Forgive me but I tend to forget everything that happens in TV shows season to season but...we don't know why Chalky was in prison, right?

Nope. We don't know anything yet. Boardwalk seasons have always been slow to start and disjointed until later in the season, with this final one they said gently caress it and went all out. We probably won't have a clue until like episode 6 of 8.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Bubba Smith posted:

Nope. We don't know anything yet. Boardwalk seasons have always been slow to start and disjointed until later in the season, with this final one they said gently caress it and went all out. We probably won't have a clue until like episode 6 of 8.

It almost doesn't matter.

After really letting the episode sit, I'm actually fine with the time jump, all in all (though I'm really going to miss the big moments they had to jump over.) The roaring 20's, as a setting, was growing kinda long in the tooth. Fast tracking us to the depression gives the setting a nice change.

Though now I want a show based in the 30's.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

olylifter posted:

What this episode was really missing for me (aside from, you know, explanation of what happened to all the characters) was another 10-35 minutes of some woman's monotonous voice reading a poem which appears to be longer than recorded history.

They should have had that for the entire episode, with everything happening in the background.

I'm almost positive that was Gretchen Moll, so I thought we were going to get a final shot of Gillian Darmody inside her asylum.

I'm such a sucker for the world-building and general aesthetic of this show, there's no chance in hell I'd ever stop watching. But I did notice some stuff that, in a less pretty show, would have been pretty jarring, or even outright bad. Some thoughts:

The dialogue between the Commodore and, um, whoever that was on the porch before Nucky gets caught was so stilted it sounded like they were reading off the scripts right in front of them. Maybe the actors/director were trying to illustrate how people spoke differently back then and how formal speech was between educated people, but they missed the mark because it just came across like community theater.

I was kind of sure that the guy looking for his hat was going to rape lil Nucky.

So did I, it was pretty creepy. Unfortunately there's still time for that to happen so let's hope it doesn't.

Bacontotem posted:

Most awkward jail break ever

Yeah! What the hell man? They were building and building to something really terrible with all the shots of Chalky's No Good Very Bad Day so that you thought he would snap, then suddenly some rando in the back pickaxes a guard out of NOWHERE while another guard stands with his gun raised and watches, then shoots. I want to say it was the victim of a hasty rewrite or cut.

But there were some positives...all the Luciano/Masseria stuff was great. Nucky's new business venture in Cuba is a fresh idea and I'm looking forward to seeing how that plays out for him. The flashback stuff was slow, even boring at times, but it is kind of interesting to see how the Commodore impacted his life. I think the one new thing to this season I'm excited about is the singing (ex)prisoner. That dude is just so happy about everything even though his life is absolute poo poo, I couldn't help but smile. Did anybody catch his name?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

olylifter posted:

I was in the bathroom during the credits sequence and when I came into the room during this part I thought I had the wrong show on and it was some magical realism coming of age story til the kids surfaced and it showed all the old time rich dudes.

Gotta say I'm just not feeling this show anymore. I liked Nucky a lot in earlier seasons, but they've just done so much over the show's course to make him a complete rear end in a top hat that I don't care about anymore, as well as eliminating any people around him that made his arcs more fun and interesting.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

timp posted:

I think the one new thing to this season I'm excited about is the singing (ex)prisoner. That dude is just so happy about everything even though his life is absolute poo poo, I couldn't help but smile. Did anybody catch his name?

Not only didn't catch his name - I couldn't understand 90% of what he said.

I really hope we see Rothstein in a flashback or something. He was one of my favorite characters and I had no idea they were going to time-jump right over his death.

klf11
Aug 17, 2014
the time skips confused the hell out of me, decent episode though

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

klf11 posted:

the time skips confused the hell out of me, decent episode though

I had to check if I missed some episodes, then go back and watch a recap of Season 4. The time skip was not done well at all.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Jerusalem posted:

Very sad that we won't see any more of Rothstein.
Michael Stuhlbarg was the heart of this show. :ohdear: Hopefully we'll at least get lots of Anatol Yusef at least to make up for his loss.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
yeah, they really handled that time skip so poorly and the loss of AR in such a dismissive manner just makes me wonder what the point is anymore.

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

I can't remember another show where I think it would be infinitely better if the main character just about anyone else on the show. Nucky's been a dead fish for 4 years and now they're doubling down and adding flashbacks of stuff we already know about? Bad drinking game: watch a random episode and drink if he has any lines where he doesn't sound annoyed or patronizing. How much better would the show be if they just abandoned AC and focused on Lucky forming the modern mafia, or Meyer in Vegas, or Capone's imminent downfall? Hoover, Ester Randolph, Chalky, Narcisse, AR, Harrow - the show has developed so many great characters but the central one is so inert that it saps the show from ever gaining any momentum - I think it's why the show is generally considered a second or third tier HBO effort.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So the Commodore is the $50 in his hat guy yeah?

Nthing the time skip being poorly handled. Can someone with more knowledge of the time period have a stab at why they chose to jump forward to this year in particular?

We have skipped the Rothstein assassination, the Valentines Day Massacre, and we have now jumped to Luciano being head of one of the five famlies. They all seem like pretty good notes to have ended on, so is there anything left that we can actually look forward to?

Capone in particular, looking at Wikipedia, it seems he has nothing left to do other than court cases...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

xcore posted:

So the Commodore is the $50 in his hat guy yeah?

Nope, the other guy with the mustache who was throwing the coins at the start of the episode. Unless I completely misread everything.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was the other guy with the graying hair, the ascot and the pin.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It was the other guy with the graying hair, the ascot and the pin.

Yeah, that's the same guy I meant. The other guy with the hat with the $50 was just some rich dude that the Commodore was trying to do business with.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Dude just non-chalantly murdering someone, gently cutting the victim's ear off and placing it in a hankerchief sure was something I did not expect.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
The 50 dollar hat guy reminded me of Jack Black

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

tin can made man posted:

The flashbacks are well-shot and compelling enough, but so far haven't really told us anything we didn't already know about Nucky, and I'm wondering what they can reveal which will both be a) important and b) somehow not mentioned thus far over the 4-11 years we've had the character.

Also how bummed was the that child actor do you think when they told him he was a shoe-in to play "Young Steve Buscemi"

The flashbacks to young Nucky seemed more relevant to his interactions with the street kids in Cuba, since he was in similar position in informal service to the wealthy folks passing through Atlantic City. As far as he's come, he can't forget feeling that powerless, and retains sympathy and respect for people in similar positions.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Masseria's death was the main thing I was looking forward to this season after I found out it would be 1931. Guess it was cool of them to just give us that one right out the gate.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I'll nth the hue and cry that they skipped past Rothstein's death, but I guess they had to move the show closer to where they wanted to end it and tell some of the mafia story of the 30s, like the end of Prohibition and Lucino's rise to power with Lansky and Siegal on his coattails. Looking at some of the historical spoilers, a lot happens in 1931, including Al Capone going to prison. Depending on how far they want to time jump again, they could end the series with Nucky toasting the end of Prohibition, which would make a nice bookend to the opening scene of the show.

That DICK! posted:

Have they mentioned Nuckys sister before?

Not that I can recall.

Another interesting thing from the flashbacks was that Nucky and Eli's father was a fisherman, and that's how the Commodore knew him. IRL Nucky Johnson's father was Atlantic County Sheriff and an ally of the Commodore before his sons later held the position and I'm fairly certain this has been mentioned on the show, that both Nucky and his father were Sheriff before Eli.

But if Nucky's father was still a fisherman when Nucky started working for the Commodore, that would basically mean that as young Nucky impressed the Commodore and rose in his organization even as a child, he basically got his father that job. That's a pretty big revelation. Also that guy playing The Commodore loving nails Dabney Coleman's voice. :drat:

My hope for the flashbacks is that we get a scene later on of Nucky's wife, played by the actress who played Alma Garrett in Deadwood (she was in the one pic of Nucky's wife we saw way back in like the first episode).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The problem with Rothstein's death is there really isn't anything that interesting to it. He owed some people some money and wasn't quick about paying, so they shot him.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

The problem with Rothstein's death is there really isn't anything that interesting to it. He owed some people some money and wasn't quick about paying, so they shot him.

quote:

On his deathbed, Rothstein refused to identify his killer, answering police inquiries with "You stick to your trade. I'll stick to mine."
Tell me you don't want to watch Boardwalk's AR doing that scene. Go ahead and lie to me.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

NorgLyle posted:

Quoting about AR's death

There's actually some pretty good territory in Rothstein's death to show Nucky's survival as impressive in spite of Rothestein's insistence that nothing mattered besides the "smart" people in New York. It would also sell Capone's importance in Chicago and Meyer's decision to go international as something special to audience members who don't want to read outside sources to understand why the plot is actually happening. Basically it's a really good point for validating all the space/time warping in context to contemporary expectations. Missed opportunity.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

I'm more bummed about it because we're missing out on some fantastic Michael Stuhlbarg action and a pretty interesting plot setup(or so it seemed at the time) with him and Kelly McDonald. I'm not sad we missed his death, I'm sad we missed some stuff leading up to it.

Also, this:

NorgLyle posted:

Tell me you don't want to watch Boardwalk's AR doing that scene. Go ahead and lie to me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Margaret lied by omission when she didn't mention she had kids. I wonder if that was just basic avoidance of admitting being an unwed mother (even if she is a widow) in that time, or if something happened to the kids? Teddy would be in his mid-teens by now, right?

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Sep 9, 2014

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

NorgLyle posted:

Yep. I was positive this season of Boardwalk was going to open with "New York, 1928" and the shooting of Rothstein to put the season of endings into motion, not a couple of boys swimming for gold in 1884. It also would have helped with the time jump if there was a small stop along the way.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

timp posted:

I'm almost positive that was Gretchen Moll, so I thought we were going to get a final shot of Gillian Darmody inside her asylum.

The closed captioning identified voiceover lady as "Elinor." I'm not 100 percent sure who that is but I think its Nucky's mother.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

xcore posted:

We have skipped the Rothstein assassination, the Valentines Day Massacre, and we have now jumped to Luciano being head of one of the five famlies. They all seem like pretty good notes to have ended on, so is there anything left that we can actually look forward to?

Capone in particular, looking at Wikipedia, it seems he has nothing left to do other than court cases...

The real-life history of those characters has never been particularly important in the show. Hell, the characters themselves haven't been particularly important, they're just side characters.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
I see a lot of complaining in this thread over a season of a show that legitimately just loving started

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

NorgLyle posted:

Don't make things harder :(

• Locked thread