Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zeta's problem is a lack of substance. The alien weapons are just divided into pistols and rifles for the most part like laser and plasma weaponry, making them little more than a third generic energy weapon category with its own pros and cons (mostly pros because Zeta can make you pretty OP when you complete it). The content is mostly corridor shooting against hordes of aliens and only a small amount of world building beyond "Check out what historical time period these guys got captured from!" is performed. The real reason you do Zeta is that you get a lot of high level items and especially loads of repair goop that makes using unique and rare weapons viable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
It also makes the some of the bullshit enemies that Broken Steel spawns much more tolerable.

I think Zeta suffers from the same problems that Anchorage does as well. They made this incredibly streamlined experience that's almost antithetical to the way the original game is played. There's not much in the way of choice and a large chunk of the game mechanics are just put to the side. Add to the fact that they're very aesthetically dissimilar and its almost like they just wanted to make a completely different game entirely.

I'm pretty sure The Pitt DLC was made in many ways to address a lot of this, except well Bethesda have never been too clever in the whole writing department.

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

The Y2K problem? Well, I've created a very large microwave. It's about two hundred square...cubic , cubic yards. New Years eve, I intend to enter this

Zeniel posted:

I'm pretty sure The Pitt DLC was made in many ways to address a lot of this, except well Bethesda have never been too clever in the whole writing department.

The Pitt is the only one that makes sense for the world of Fallout 3 (not counting Broken Steel because I hate it and everything about it). It made a lot of sense to explore a world similar to the Capital Wasteland that has...not fared quite as well in terms of rebuilding. The only other DLC where any effort was put into not be Murdermans (Anchorage, Zeta) or THIS IS THE GOOD OPTION THIS IS THE BAD OPTION, NOW CHOOSE (Broken Steel) is Point Lookout.

Not all bad though, both Pitt and Lookout give you powerful and fun to use weapons for exploring the world space they created, which is always a nice bonus.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

doing the obvious posted:

The Pitt is the only one that makes sense for the world of Fallout 3 (not counting Broken Steel because I hate it and everything about it). It made a lot of sense to explore a world similar to the Capital Wasteland that has...not fared quite as well in terms of rebuilding. The only other DLC where any effort was put into not be Murdermans (Anchorage, Zeta) or THIS IS THE GOOD OPTION THIS IS THE BAD OPTION, NOW CHOOSE (Broken Steel) is Point Lookout.

Not all bad though, both Pitt and Lookout give you powerful and fun to use weapons for exploring the world space they created, which is always a nice bonus.

Point Lookout then violates all good things it did by giving the enemies scripted automatic damage reduction and guaranteed damage through armor in an attempt to make backwater tribals and mutant rednecks a threat to someone who's probably showing up in power armor with a laser rifle.

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

The Y2K problem? Well, I've created a very large microwave. It's about two hundred square...cubic , cubic yards. New Years eve, I intend to enter this
The difficulty was severe, granted. Not sure why the dev team went that way or if it was just a case of somebody fat fingering the numbers. One mar on it's record compared to Anchorage, Broken Steel or Zeta's records is still relatively forgivable.

Also, please tell me for the sake of historical propriety Lisa will wear a hat found only in Point Lookout that will be her go-to hat forever and ever. Rebel Pride!

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Point Lookout then violates all good things it did by giving the enemies scripted automatic damage reduction and guaranteed damage through armor in an attempt to make backwater tribals and mutant rednecks a threat to someone who's probably showing up in power armor with a laser rifle.

Just let the Swamp Folk play amongst the bottlecap mines. I got lucky in my placement of them in that evil altar basement and took them all out before they could reach me. Maybe its just me but I don't really like the story of Point Lookout, its just feels so pointless and has a bad pay off. I think it's got good art direction by the level design team. But that's about it.

Also I keep hearing a lot of people complain about Broken Steel, out of curiosity what about is bad exactly? I mean to me it seems okay as far as Fallout 3 goes, Oblivion level-scaled enemies not withstanding of course.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Can't speak for anyone else, but my main problem with Broken Steel was that it completely undercut the "heroic sacrifice" element of the ending. Though that ending had it's share of problems to begin with, namely that the whole sacrifice element was pretty forced considering there's two companions in the game that are completely immune to radiation, one of which is bound to obey you without question. Seriously, why can't I let Charon press the button, dammit? Fawkes gives some bullshit excuse that made me want to punch his head off with a power fist, but Charon really shouldn't be able to weasel out of it.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
There's also the robot companion too. But yeah the narrator going on about how the REAL hero stepped forward when the going got tough(as broken steel lets fawkes be able to push the button) is really stupid. Not when a sacrifice was completely unnecessary narrator.

Zeniel fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Apr 4, 2015

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The problem with Point Lookout, Zeta (well, one of the problems with Zeta) and parts of Broken Steel is that they're 'balanced' for level 20+ characters. Bethesda is apparently poo poo at high-level balancing and just made the new enemies super-tough and super-damaging.

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

I think the problem was they didn't know to balance those particular DLC around the idea that you would not have the powerful new tools to help deal with horse poo poo enemies right off the bat. The other problem is there's no real middle tier enemies in vanilla and none were added in Broken Steel. You go from entry tier enemies to ones that have no reason to exist other than to be your worst nightmare given form (read: gently caress mutant overlords FOREVER).

Add to that Ron Perlman insulting me by my applying a lateral solution to a binary problem...yeah, Broken Steel can gently caress its self.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
It could hardly be called Broken Steel if it didn't out right break the game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Point Lookout would have been better set as a DLC for new characters, as pretty much all of the enemies are tribals that should be little or no different from the raiders you've been tearing up from the beginning of the game. But because they expected players to jump in after they had already gotten to high or even max level, they scripted them to be unnaturally tough and deadly to make up for it.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Yeah the hillbillies and tribals gave my level 20ish character issues. Said character was wearing prototype power armor and wielding an alien blunderbuss, which are some of the best gear you can use.

Making good DLC with good balance and story isn't Bethesda's strong suit it seems. :v:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wanted to check out this LP, but it seems all the videos are gone. Did something happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...
Yeah, quittin lp. Bye.

• Locked thread