Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
if a class can't survive a beating it better be because they kill too fast to die to anything if they're not CCed/in an area of effect thing they can't get away from/just hells of overwhelmed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
EQ2 had what, everyone could heal, one guy did hots, one guy did reactives, and the last guy did shields.

I'd rather see a healer with a two handed club whose method of preventing damage to you is hitting you out of the way so you only take his club damage.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Really MMOs need to do away with both the concept of a healer and a class whose reason for existing is to be the one the mob beats on. Dedicated tanks and dedicated healers are boring, lazy cop outs and inevitably lead to degenerate, damage sponge encounter designs and stat inflation. The problem with doing that is that it makes the game more difficult for players and developers would actually have to try when they make encounters.

Basically I want a Monster Hunter MMO that is less embarrassing than Tera. It would also more or less just by its nature deal with gear design.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
Healers are a flawed concept by nature because who the gently caress wants to do nothing but help other people survive beating poo poo up? Everyone wants to be in the fray punching/shooting/slicing/making GBS threads on/mauling things.

Third World Reggin posted:

I'd rather see a healer with a two handed club whose method of preventing damage to you is hitting you out of the way so you only take his club damage.
I've heard and had a lot of good ideas but none have been as completely flawless as this one

EDIT:

chumbler posted:

Basically I want a Monster Hunter MMO that is less embarrassing than Tera.
Tera would be decent if there weren't so many ridiculously long treks through empty spaces, and also if the entire cast of characters (barring the rock men and pug-midgets) weren't anime titties-on-a-stick.

Mach2 fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 9, 2014

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Just make a Dark Souls mmo.

You can build however you want but there's gonna be pretty severe penalties and trade-offs if you want to do something weird until you get to a super high level and have a fuckload of stats to support it.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Monster hunter online is coming soon

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Just make a Dark Souls mmo.

You can build however you want but there's gonna be pretty severe penalties and trade-offs if you want to do something weird until you get to a super high level and have a fuckload of stats to support it.

This made me realize another flaw of MMOs that boils down to "it's tradition!"

PvP sucks. Not every motherfucking MMO needs a PvP area. So make players able to unbalance themselves however they wish. No classes, just a massive skill tree that you can reset every 24 hours and rebuild until you find the combination of healing/single-target/crowd control that suits you.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

You could always play archeage which supports players like this

</a>: Family Patron: Borys<br />Family Members: Samolety, Eonwe, Riyott, bmr1580, Cannibal Vox<br /><br />Assigned Duties:<br />Carpentry - Borys (1st), Eonwe (2nd)<br />Logging - Eonwe (1st), Borys (2nd)<br />Construction - Borys to 5k, then as needed/wanted<br />Mining - Everyone that isn't Borys and Eonwe<br /><br />The Plan:<br />We are going to claim as much connected land in Northern Two Crowns as possible. To accomodate this goal, every member of the family is expected to use their 15 Gilda Stars on a house blueprint and drop that and their 8x8 farm on the North Shore of Two Crowns. Place them close enough together that no one else can drop plots between them, but far enough apart so that we maximize our space-to-plot ratio. The only exception to this will be Eonwe, who is dedicating his first 15 Gilda Stars to operation "gently caress everyone else out of having a house on Freedick Island".<br /><br />Once we get everyone in the family and everyone not in the family that wants to contribute their 16x16 farms, we'll start swapping the houses out for farms. I will retain a home for the family in this area for portaling back from other areas, beds, and chests. Everyone else will change their house plot for a farm plot.<br /><br />Beginning Production:<br />We're going to break down our production runs into three very simple categories:<br />-Growers<br />-Harvesters<br />-Crafters<br /><br />Eonwe will be our ONLY harvester to start. Under no circumstances are the rest of you to chop down a tree instead of him. "But Borys, why?" you might whine nasally while licking the blade of your axe and lovingly staring at our beautiful trees. I'll tell you why. Because we need someone with a high logging proficiency to make us motherfucking woodlots which are basically tree bundles. If every one of you fuckers is cutting down trees we'll never get there, so calm your titties goddamnit and burn your labor on MINING.<br /><br />Duties and Production Plans:<br />Growers: You will plant ASPEN trees on all farms. No exceptions. Planting does not consume labor, so you will spend your labor on MINING. Ores or Star Shard, I don't care which. All stone goes to BORYS all metal goes to either of the two metal using families (Nuian Dynamics and whoever decides to do metalworking for plate armor)<br />Harvesters: This is Eonwe. He will cut down all of the trees. Do not do his job for you, or I will drag your rear end to the middle of Feuille Sound and drown you.<br />Crafters: This is Borys. You send all of your stone to me and Eonwe will send me all of the logs. I will work with other families to get other materials that I may need for some plans such as fabric, leather, or metal. If you are so inclined and want to not be a dick, send me a few gold every now and then because I'm going to have to buy shitloads of Carpentry Books to actually make poo poo. Most of which cost between 50s and 5g or more. Most of what I build I will sell at the AH for shitloads of money because everyone else is retarded and they'll pay top dollar for furniture that any dumbfuck can make with a few logs. Every time I sell something on the AH 50% of the money will go to the guild the other 50% will be split amongst the family evenly.<br /><br />So to recap:<br />Only loving plant aspen trees.<br />Is your name Eonwe? If no, don't loving cut them down (you can cut down wild trees for all I care just not our aspens).<br />Are you a grower? Good, are the fields full of trees? No? Plant more loving aspens. Yes? Go mine and send me the stone!<br /><br />Questions?<br />

also lol at every goon off site forum ever

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

that thing doesn't make archeage sound fun

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

You are right, how about a picture so you understand how you are supposed to build farms in the bearuo of land management

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Mach2 posted:

This made me realize another flaw of MMOs that boils down to "it's tradition!"

PvP sucks. Not every motherfucking MMO needs a PvP area. So make players able to unbalance themselves however they wish. No classes, just a massive skill tree that you can reset every 24 hours and rebuild until you find the combination of healing/single-target/crowd control that suits you.

UO's optional PVP was nice

Ragnarok Online was cool in that most of the classes had stuff for loving around with. Priest for example was a heal/buffer with a bunch of anti-undead nukes, but Alchemist summoned minions, blew the minions the gently caress up, blew the enemies up, etc. Rogue could steal an enemy class' skills and make people unequip their stuff, and they had an old school backstab

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

In UO I trained healing up so I could heal ghosts to life with bandages, tamed bird things, and used foreinsics to know who killed who but died too much to do any of that.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Mach2 posted:

isn't this The Secret World

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Doctor Goat posted:

Rogue could steal an enemy class' skills and make people unequip their stuff, and they had an old school backstab

they could also plaster gigantic obnoxious messages across the landscape which is what i did the vast majority of my time in that game doing

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Neurolimal posted:

isn't this The Secret World

Oh yeah. The game that is, on paper, flawless, but has nowhere near enough content to hold itself up.

Welp. drat.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

The Protagonist posted:

they could also plaster gigantic obnoxious messages across the landscape which is what i did the vast majority of my time in that game doing

there was a skill called magic mushroom on the highest tier assassin class (the one above Cross) that made an enemy forcibly use Hocus Pocus (random loving spell) every few seconds on themselves or around them

i dosed myself with it while in town most of the time until it got pulled from basically every server

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Doctor Goat posted:

there was a skill called magic mushroom on the highest tier assassin class (the one above Cross) that made an enemy forcibly use Hocus Pocus (random loving spell) every few seconds on themselves or around them

i dosed myself with it while in town most of the time until it got pulled from basically every server

holy poo poo that sounds amazing, i quit way before they introduced ascended classes or whatever but i definitely had a good time with big fat stacks of dead branches

you can never have too many dead branches

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

You are right, how about a picture so you understand how you are supposed to build farms in the bearuo of land management

Zoning commissions and boards of aldermen or city councils would be a hilarious addition to an MMO. Add in reasons to do crop rotation in farms as well. If an MMO is going to advertise its player housing and farms and the like, they should go all out on it. An update one year in requires new houses to be built with gas stoves, but older houses with wood stoves are grandfathered in at a higher property tax payment unless they upgrade.

These stories from RO also make that game sound amusing, but I recall that leveling took an eternity unless you were on a boosted private server. Which I guess everyone was to make it tolerable.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
dead branches own, they summon a random monster (any monster)
bloody branches own more, they summon a random superboss

goons on essencero before I got them banned had their own private area to use bloody branches en masse and farm bosses without other guilds being able to get to them or invade it

then i found a dupe exploit for a 1 million gold item, told someone else, and they scripted a bot to get a few thousand and gave them out to everyone and got a large chunk of the guild banned. the only reason i wasn't gone is because i hung out in the irc and said "hey can i get an account ban instead of an ip ban" when they said they were doing it

rip fun ragnarok online. i have kicked you as a yearly addiction.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

chumbler posted:

Zoning commissions and boards of aldermen or city councils would be a hilarious addition to an MMO. Add in reasons to do crop rotation in farms as well. If an MMO is going to advertise its player housing and farms and the like, they should go all out on it. An update one year in requires new houses to be built with gas stoves, but older houses with wood stoves are grandfathered in at a higher property tax payment unless they upgrade.

These stories from RO also make that game sound amusing, but I recall that leveling took an eternity unless you were on a boosted private server. Which I guess everyone was to make it tolerable.

Did you ever play The Guild 2 cause this was a thing, also you could just set up tolls on rolls or what not.

I got in the position to become king, murdered the current king in the street, then gained immunity to any prosecution while my wife was out there inspecting buildings to see if they met the building code

it is a bad buggy game

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

it's cute they've got their own Five Year Plan

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

zen death robot posted:

MMOs are just bad games and this is no exception really

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Mach2 posted:

Oh yeah. The game that is, on paper, flawless, but has nowhere near enough content to hold itself up.

Welp. drat.

I've heard it's pretty okay now, and I like the setting.

It'd take a lot of work to install it again though so

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Extra posted:

Half the fun of instances way back when was the trek out there with your buddies and the exploration of checking it out the first time. It was an adventure. What was not fun was having to do said instances over and over and/or not being the correct level to do them with your buddies. Sometimes you found out about some secret area or trigger in the dungeon you hadn't known about before. The problem being you'd already farmed than dungeon like 15-20 times by then and never wanted to head back or far outleveled it.

In addition back in 2005 a lot of the time it was people's first MMO which meant people weren't smashing their faces against the progression. In a lot of ways we were all playing our own little version of morrowind.

Just having the freedom to tromp around a massive world with pals and not worry about levels would be really cool.

I was just thinking this the other day, I really just want a huge loving fleshed out world. Like no matter how poo poo WoW is it was a cool experience as a first MMO before I saw through the cracks. It's a shame that I guess the only games that get that huge scale are MMOs because they need people to play them forever to justify the development effort.

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006

chumbler posted:

Really MMOs need to do away with both the concept of a healer and a class whose reason for existing is to be the one the mob beats on. Dedicated tanks and dedicated healers are boring, lazy cop outs and inevitably lead to degenerate, damage sponge encounter designs and stat inflation. The problem with doing that is that it makes the game more difficult for players and developers would actually have to try when they make encounters.

to be fair, they make a couple of stabs in that direction
- there are only two taunt moves in the game and they're both single target and kind of expensive so tanks can't just stand there and suck up damage, you have to do a bit of dps and cc to keep the enemies on you and probably have a shield spell on your bars somewhere too
- both the healer builds i've made can put out some pretty good magical dps, and also the restoration staff is maybe the most powerful basic attack out of all the weapons and it sucks magicka and can actually be used on a non-healing mage just to support your own dps, and there are some pretty decent heals (e.g. blood altar) that don't need you to be a templar or have a restoration staff to use.

so the lines are nicely blurred and as a group you can mix and match to get a good balance. i mean in practice you'll probably be in a group with some twats who'll shout at you if you said you're a healer on the search tool but keep spending magicka on not healing, but what can you do

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

ArcheAge's land mechanics are terrible and will be the death of the game along with Labor Points.

Let's say you like an area of the game and want a house there. First you need to be subscribed, then you need all the items required to buy a plot of land, then you need a ton of materials and labor points to build the house on the land you paid for. Now, the real problem with the housing system is that there's a limited amount of land available, house sites are not instanced and are first come, first served. Once all the land zoned for building in an area is taken, there's no way for new players to build a house there until one of the current owners falls two weeks behind on their rent payment.

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
i played a bit of eso last night and it's looking pretty fuckin dead now. and the netcode/server/whatever still sucks rear end, it seems to particularly spaz out when someone else comes along and helps you kill some mobs in the overworld, presumably that's some megaserver fuckery i don't care. it works fine but as soon as someone else starts fighting your mobs it lags out and stuff stops working

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
i guess a lot of people's 3 month subscription has run out so it's got pretty quiet suddenly

Dec 26, 2012

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I've heard it's pretty okay now, and I like the setting.

It'd take a lot of work to install it again though so

i played it like last january when someone gifted it to me and uh

unless its been massively revamped between then and now its still pretty bad

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

Unguided posted:

ArcheAge's land mechanics are terrible and will be the death of the game along with Labor Points.

Let's say you like an area of the game and want a house there. First you need to be subscribed, then you need all the items required to buy a plot of land, then you need a ton of materials and labor points to build the house on the land you paid for. Now, the real problem with the housing system is that there's a limited amount of land available, house sites are not instanced and are first come, first served. Once all the land zoned for building in an area is taken, there's no way for new players to build a house there until one of the current owners falls two weeks behind on their rent payment.

Ultima Online handled limited housing land well, allow B&E by hiding next to someones front door until they open it.

Also trap the homeowners ghost until they give you the deed

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I like the concept of EVE Online and tried to get into it on 3 separate occasions but it's so mind numbingly slow and the gameplay is non-existent. Like all MMORPGs have some secret clause that prohibits them from having any sort of engaging gameplay.

Don't play MMOs kids.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
EVE online is perfect at a conceptual level, they just forgot to actually give it gameplay. So 90% of the playerbase is just tabbed out watching youtube while their ship automatically orbits a space rock

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
you can read the story people from eso talking about the story on this reddit link http://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/2g0x5l/ama_with_the_eso_writing_team/

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I can't believe it took that many people to suck what life was left out of the Elder Scrolls setting

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The Sharmat posted:

I can't believe it took that many people to suck what life was left out of the Elder Scrolls setting

ESO doesn't count because they caused a shitload of lore discrepancies.

Waiting for Elder Scrolls 6, they promised color and non-ugly character and NPC models this time.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

The Taint Reaper posted:

In an Elder Scrolls game?

Dec 26, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

Waiting for Elder Scrolls 6, they promised color and non-ugly character and NPC models this time.

why do you believe a single word bethesda says at this point taint reaper

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

how the gently caress does chim work when there are literally hundreds of thousands of heroes running through the world, just makes no sense at ALL

Soral
May 30, 2009

Ghaz posted:

how the gently caress does chim work when there are literally hundreds of thousands of heroes running through the world, just makes no sense at ALL

you cant cheat or pause the game or use the dev console or mod the game in eso so there is no chim in that game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Doctor Goat posted:

UO's optional PVP was nice

UO's PVP wasn't always optional. Back in my day you could be attacked anyplace anywhere and the guards didn't one hit kill you.

UO was pretty much the best because you could be whatever you wanted but if you weren't a mage or a tamer or both you were poo poo.

• Locked thread