Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
wildstar is apparently much more popular around this neck of the woods. just goes to show that goons are culturally irrelevant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
I'm pretty sure it's impossible for eso to "go f2p" anyway, everything in the game is set up to resist things like being able to buy your way to a maxed out endgame character. There were gold sellers spamming pm's and in zone chat the first few weeks but there was no market for them so they just gave up and buggered off. If it's not profitable it seems more likely that they would just kill it. Then again that's probably wishful thinking and they'll prob. end up making a godawful hatchet job of making it f2p

Abandon fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Sep 8, 2014

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
it's not got any mechanics in common with elder scrolls games./ it's just a generic mmo albeit with an emphasis on exploration and sidequests, and set in a moderately bastardised rendition of tamriel. it's not a bad game though

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2VG53RIJ50

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Sorry, it really isn't. They should have just locked out weapon/armor choices by class because if you do anything remotely suboptimal in an mmo you're wasting everybody's time.

this would be true if it wasn't piss easy

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006

chumbler posted:

Really MMOs need to do away with both the concept of a healer and a class whose reason for existing is to be the one the mob beats on. Dedicated tanks and dedicated healers are boring, lazy cop outs and inevitably lead to degenerate, damage sponge encounter designs and stat inflation. The problem with doing that is that it makes the game more difficult for players and developers would actually have to try when they make encounters.

to be fair, they make a couple of stabs in that direction
- there are only two taunt moves in the game and they're both single target and kind of expensive so tanks can't just stand there and suck up damage, you have to do a bit of dps and cc to keep the enemies on you and probably have a shield spell on your bars somewhere too
- both the healer builds i've made can put out some pretty good magical dps, and also the restoration staff is maybe the most powerful basic attack out of all the weapons and it sucks magicka and can actually be used on a non-healing mage just to support your own dps, and there are some pretty decent heals (e.g. blood altar) that don't need you to be a templar or have a restoration staff to use.

so the lines are nicely blurred and as a group you can mix and match to get a good balance. i mean in practice you'll probably be in a group with some twats who'll shout at you if you said you're a healer on the search tool but keep spending magicka on not healing, but what can you do

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
i played a bit of eso last night and it's looking pretty fuckin dead now. and the netcode/server/whatever still sucks rear end, it seems to particularly spaz out when someone else comes along and helps you kill some mobs in the overworld, presumably that's some megaserver fuckery i don't care. it works fine but as soon as someone else starts fighting your mobs it lags out and stuff stops working

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
i guess a lot of people's 3 month subscription has run out so it's got pretty quiet suddenly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
you can read the story people from eso talking about the story on this reddit link http://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/2g0x5l/ama_with_the_eso_writing_team/

• Locked thread