Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I want to go back to the uo days where all armor provided was armor, resistances, and encumbrance. gently caress this stat bonus and spells/abilities coming from or being modified by armor poo poo.

I dunno spell effects are kinda fun, like getting an item that summons minions or causing your enemies to explode in an extra special fashion which in turn kills other enemies.

qnqnx posted:

MMO gamers are the modern day Sisyphus, condemned to forever jump from bad games to worse games in hope to some day that will never come find good MMO.
All this because of unspeakable sins in their past, do not pity them
I asked vanilla wow players why they still play vanilla. The reason is because they like the world. Like how all the areas were designed and it was much more simple back then.

Gameplay did not even come up other than being able to camp people without them flying away.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I don't want that poo poo on armor. Maybe a weapon or focus or something like that, but having a bunch of special poo poo on armor is stupid.

Yeah things like where you need a set to activate an effect is stupid. Weapons should be the only gear pieces that have special poo poo on them.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Doctor Goat posted:

sockets are cool, having to wear a pile of poo poo on your arm to give you a skill bonus isn't

let me wear the best looking things and be a chill person

I do like passive effects coming from armor though, but only when it's a sidegrade like the Dead Space 2 DLC stuff

stuff like sockets were really supposed to give you a boost when you have less than optimal gear originally. But then it became what you top off your best gear with. I think giving the player more control over respeccing their armor would probably be the most ideal solution. Like take whatever values you have and just switch them out at your will. It removes the need for the player needing to buy a ton of extra poo poo for the gear they already got. Respeccing would also be better if you could boost an already existing stat on the armor instead of trying to make up for a lack of it.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 8, 2014

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The Sharmat posted:

But I guess people accustomed to WoW would freak out at the idea that gear could wear out or explode and be gone forever until you bought new stuff

It's been proven that stuff like that really is not fun for the majority of people. Gear breaking is fine, but it being gone forever is not.

It's the reason why Hardcore mode is optional in Diablo instead of mandatory.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The Sharmat posted:

If MMOs have proven anything, it's that most of a game doesn't actually have to be fun for people to play it. you don't actually register any real reward in your brain when you're grinding until you reach your goal and get a new piece of the equipment treadmill/a new level with higher numbers everywhere. How is this any different, except that it results in a greater variety of possible decisions for the player to make?

MMO design needs an overhaul, so if it sounds like busywork or retracing your steps it's probably a bad idea.

Setting yourself back because you die hasn't been appealing in multiplayer games for ages.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Vargs posted:

I think the more simplistic combat of old WoW is a lot better than what they have going on now, where you have to set up a million ridiculous eyesore popups to keep track of a boatload of different procs, conditional abilities, debuffs and other poo poo. You spend all your time staring down a bunch of icons rather than looking at the actual game world. Hope you enjoy finding keybindings for a hundred different skills. Instead of having one defensive cooldown on a 3-5 minute timer you'll get like 4 that are nearly identical and all take up their own key/ui space.

I guess it's an effort to make the things feel more actiony, but that poo poo gets just as same-y and mundane as the old stuff over a fairly short period of time, at which point I appreciate a much cleaner UI, not developing carpal tunnel, and the ability to type in combat (haha, like people actually talk to one another in MMOs anymore).

Yeah that's true, the amount of buttons and macros you need is crazy. They never seem to have a proper direction set up for what abilities are needed and it's just a gamut of things that should be mostly uneeded in a more refined system. I mean diablo has like 6 buttons in total for moves and you can use a controller. And a controller is a shitload easier to use than a keyboard filled with 24 action buttons.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

They want to make it so everybody feels like healers do.

Seriously, I like healing but it's just loving playing whack-a-mole with HP bars in pretty much every MMO. The only one I've tried that came close to getting it right was EQ2, because it had target-of-target implied targeting so you could target the poo poo you were fighting and actually put out DPS and toss out a heal on the tank when it looked like he needed it.

I had somebody say Wildstar was better for it but yeah, it really isn't. The only difference is you need to pay attention to ground target poo poo and jump around more while still staring at HP bars and it just makes it unpleasant.

Edit: Now that I think of it, this is also a problem with the basic design of the games. They go "A healer's job is to heal so that's all they should be doing" so they tune fights so that bosses poo poo out damage to the point where if you mistime a heal you'll probably lose a tank. Don't even think about trying to DPS because you will not be able to do that and still get a heal off in time unless your group is over-geared.

Get rid of healing specific classes all together. I mean you can still have spell caster type guys just not healing specific guys. Make everyone have some form of HP regeneration and allow them to chug potions for oh poo poo moments like Diablo and Monster Hunter.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

The Sharmat posted:

I can't believe it took that many people to suck what life was left out of the Elder Scrolls setting

ESO doesn't count because they caused a shitload of lore discrepancies.

Waiting for Elder Scrolls 6, they promised color and non-ugly character and NPC models this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

01011001 posted:

why do you believe a single word bethesda says at this point taint reaper

I heard they fired the 6 year old who drew the character model sheets. They now have a somewhat competent 13 year old.

• Locked thread