Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I didn't like how they made it look like you could build however you wanted, like make a wizard in plate armor or something, then railroaded you into using specific types of weapons and armor based on if you wanted to be a wizard or fighter or something and not be poo poo at your job

the bait and switch like that kind of sucks but otherwise it becomes really hard to balance things so that's what i expected, really. if everyone could be a wizard in plate then there would be no reason to use cloth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Extra posted:

movement speed

i didn't fully articulate my point but this is basically what i'm getting at: there has to be some disadvantage to using plate armor otherwise theres no reason not to use it. if they did a movement speed penalty for using plate then it would turn into a question of whether or not the defense bonus outweighed the movement loss, and players will in general just pick the 'optimal' choice once the game matures enough. it's why having meaningful choices is really hard to do in mmos or rpgs.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

SeXReX posted:

people are still making MMOs that aren't F2P? do they WANT absolutely no one to play them?

actually, a lot of people still play subscription MMOs such as WoW, FF14, FF11 (which is the most financially successful FF to date)

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

LFR is the worst thing ever. i thought it was okay until i played mists where if you want to raid even remotely seriously you are required to do the legendary quest which is months of LFR grinding. you basically just steamroll extremely easy bosses that have fewer abilities than normal and they deal basically no damage. you can routinely ignore nearly all of the mechanics of the fight. you're much more likely to run into the enrage timer than actually wipe.

LFR is the kind of thing i could see people doing maybe once or twice if they wanted to see the content, but even then you're seeing the version of the content designed to be done by idiots. i'm not saying you have to make everything hard but LFR is like insulting easily

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

It was way better than having specific PVP gear and resistances and poo poo.

or nerfing an ability because its overpowered in pv_ but not in the other one (this happens so many loving times its really annoying)

• Locked thread