Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I didn't like how they made it look like you could build however you wanted, like make a wizard in plate armor or something, then railroaded you into using specific types of weapons and armor based on if you wanted to be a wizard or fighter or something and not be poo poo at your job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Chomp8645 posted:

ESO is kind bad but if you think it's because of the class customization then you're pretty stupid. It's one of the only things the game does really well.

Sorry, it really isn't. They should have just locked out weapon/armor choices by class because if you do anything remotely suboptimal in an mmo you're wasting everybody's time.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I want to go back to the uo days where all armor provided was armor, resistances, and encumbrance. gently caress this stat bonus and spells/abilities coming from or being modified by armor poo poo.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

The Taint Reaper posted:

I dunno spell effects are kinda fun, like getting an item that summons minions or causing your enemies to explode in an extra special fashion which in turn kills other enemies.

I don't want that poo poo on armor. Maybe a weapon or focus or something like that, but having a bunch of special poo poo on armor is stupid.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Vargs posted:

I think the more simplistic combat of old WoW is a lot better than what they have going on now, where you have to set up a million ridiculous eyesore popups to keep track of a boatload of different procs, conditional abilities, debuffs and other poo poo. You spend all your time staring down a bunch of icons rather than looking at the actual game world.

They want to make it so everybody feels like healers do.

Seriously, I like healing but it's just loving playing whack-a-mole with HP bars in pretty much every MMO. The only one I've tried that came close to getting it right was EQ2, because it had target-of-target implied targeting so you could target the poo poo you were fighting and actually put out DPS and toss out a heal on the tank when it looked like he needed it.

I had somebody say Wildstar was better for it but yeah, it really isn't. The only difference is you need to pay attention to ground target poo poo and jump around more while still staring at HP bars and it just makes it unpleasant.

Edit: Now that I think of it, this is also a problem with the basic design of the games. They go "A healer's job is to heal so that's all they should be doing" so they tune fights so that bosses poo poo out damage to the point where if you mistime a heal you'll probably lose a tank. Don't even think about trying to DPS because you will not be able to do that and still get a heal off in time unless your group is over-geared.

Mr.Unique-Name fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 9, 2014

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Chomp8645 posted:

Warhammer Online did healers pretty well (and not much else). The melee healers needed to hit things to charge their mana equivalent, so they would wade into the fray smacking people and let out heals as they powered them up. The caster healers had a good system where the more they cast healing/damage spells the more it would improve their bonus to the next cast of the opposite type, so they were encouraged to mix it up between healing/damage spells or at least not be totally lopsided.

Shame the game was mismanaged into the pit of despair.

Actually yeah, I forgot about that game, like everybody else. It also had target-of-target or friendly target and enemy target and was able to assume who you wanted to cast on based on what you were casting.

That game could have been good. :(

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Third World Reggin posted:

Uh wrong. In EQ2 healers changed their spells into melee abilities and nuked poo poo to death unless you were some stupid tree guy.

I played an inquisitor and how does the fact that they were mostly melee (which I think was only the shaman and part of the cleric lines) have anything to do with anything I said or make me wrong?

My point was that you were DPSing and healing and it worked pretty well. It doesn't matter if you were in melee range to DPS because of the fact it was also possible to do that in that game.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

also eq2 had sorta proper non-healing supports with bards and enchanters

I loving hate wow and everything that comes out copying its design decisions for making me miss poo poo about everquest

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Then they launched like a week before wow, when the game was in a really bad state, because they thought that was a good idea.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Doctor Goat posted:

yess double the balancing effort and confusion on players' parts

It was way better than having specific PVP gear and resistances and poo poo.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

The Sharmat posted:

but wow mostly just aped EQ1

For the most part, but their attempt to make non-healing supports (shaman and I guess kinda paladin) was terrible and half assed and they reneged on it and made them healers/dps pretty quickly.

I actually liked bards and enchanters because you had to pay more attention to everything going on and they had interesting play styles. I love cycling through songs throughout the entirety of a fight.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Just make a Dark Souls mmo.

You can build however you want but there's gonna be pretty severe penalties and trade-offs if you want to do something weird until you get to a super high level and have a fuckload of stats to support it.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

that thing doesn't make archeage sound fun

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Mach2 posted:

Oh yeah. The game that is, on paper, flawless, but has nowhere near enough content to hold itself up.

Welp. drat.

I've heard it's pretty okay now, and I like the setting.

It'd take a lot of work to install it again though so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Jenner posted:

UO's PVP wasn't always optional. Back in my day you could be attacked anyplace anywhere and the guards didn't one hit kill you.

UO was pretty much the best because you could be whatever you wanted but if you weren't a mage or a tamer or both you were poo poo.

I played a pure dexer for a while and owned. That was around the time t2a came out though, before that yeah you are correct.

• Locked thread