Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
sockets are cool, having to wear a pile of poo poo on your arm to give you a skill bonus isn't

let me wear the best looking things and be a chill person

I do like passive effects coming from armor though, but only when it's a sidegrade like the Dead Space 2 DLC stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Third World Reggin posted:

They also did something that no other mmo has figured out yet.

Seperate data for each skill for pvp or pve.

yess double the balancing effort and confusion on players' parts

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

It was way better than having specific PVP gear and resistances and poo poo.

this is even worse, yeah

The Taint Reaper posted:

Get rid of healing specific classes all together. I mean you can still have spell caster type guys just not healing specific guys. Make everyone have some form of HP regeneration and allow them to chug potions for oh poo poo moments like Diablo and Monster Hunter.

agreeing with taint reaper much to my chagrin except

make healing still a thing but based on prevention rather than treating symptoms. potions should be an oh poo poo. monster hunter has good potions.

edit: also copy ragnarok online's sitting mechanic: if you're not in combat and not in a place where things can threaten you at all you may as well be able to regen fast

Doctor Goat fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 9, 2014

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
if a class can't survive a beating it better be because they kill too fast to die to anything if they're not CCed/in an area of effect thing they can't get away from/just hells of overwhelmed

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Mach2 posted:

This made me realize another flaw of MMOs that boils down to "it's tradition!"

PvP sucks. Not every motherfucking MMO needs a PvP area. So make players able to unbalance themselves however they wish. No classes, just a massive skill tree that you can reset every 24 hours and rebuild until you find the combination of healing/single-target/crowd control that suits you.

UO's optional PVP was nice

Ragnarok Online was cool in that most of the classes had stuff for loving around with. Priest for example was a heal/buffer with a bunch of anti-undead nukes, but Alchemist summoned minions, blew the minions the gently caress up, blew the enemies up, etc. Rogue could steal an enemy class' skills and make people unequip their stuff, and they had an old school backstab

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

The Protagonist posted:

they could also plaster gigantic obnoxious messages across the landscape which is what i did the vast majority of my time in that game doing

there was a skill called magic mushroom on the highest tier assassin class (the one above Cross) that made an enemy forcibly use Hocus Pocus (random loving spell) every few seconds on themselves or around them

i dosed myself with it while in town most of the time until it got pulled from basically every server

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
dead branches own, they summon a random monster (any monster)
bloody branches own more, they summon a random superboss

goons on essencero before I got them banned had their own private area to use bloody branches en masse and farm bosses without other guilds being able to get to them or invade it

then i found a dupe exploit for a 1 million gold item, told someone else, and they scripted a bot to get a few thousand and gave them out to everyone and got a large chunk of the guild banned. the only reason i wasn't gone is because i hung out in the irc and said "hey can i get an account ban instead of an ip ban" when they said they were doing it

rip fun ragnarok online. i have kicked you as a yearly addiction.

• Locked thread