Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
All they've been talking about for weeks is the next Zelda and hoping it was some dark extreme adventure or whatever.

They kept freaking the hell out everytime someone in the witcher was naked or cursed. I'm like grow up you're in your 30's unmarried, and none of you have kids.

I don't think most of them made it past the prologue because it was hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

this sure is a fuckin thread, huh

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
knew it was a TR thread just by looking at the title

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

AHungryRobot posted:

knew it was a TR thread just by looking at the title

Yes my high quality and exquisite taste in games is quite well known.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
i tried playing the witcher 1 and its a loving slog because its not a good game? but my autism wont let me play witcher 2 until i finish it

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Grim posted:

i tried playing the witcher 1 and its a loving slog because its not a good game? but my autism wont let me play witcher 2 until i finish it

You miss nothing, they flashback to the first game events like Draken 2.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

yeah, just skip witcher 1. I never finished it either and I never felt lost in TW2

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
gas

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The Witcher 2 Is A Worse Game Than Zelda.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Wormskull posted:

The Witcher 2 Is A Worse Game Than Zelda.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

I like these threads. I sip coffee & read them in there entireity.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Alright, Taint Reaper everyone makes fun of you for having bad opinions on videogames and I think it's a little harsh, but if you ever in your dumb peon brain think that the Witcher 2 is a good game again I swear to god i will strike you down with the power of good games and gaming integrity and render you into nothing. The Witcher 2 is the worst loving RPG I've ever played, you play as a bland, gravelly voiced old man or something who gets laid like, all the time to prove he's cool I guess? And all the gameplay is stupid, old poo poo that I would expect from a game that's decades old, like Gothic or something. The combat also blows an entire loving strongroom of dicks with it's bland repetitive bullshit gameplay. Also nevermind gently caress it this is already too many words about this piece of poo poo game and if you like The Witcher 2 then I really think you're a loving moron, real talk. Peace.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
looking back on this past it's really harsh and I apologize but I just get so darn mad when people perpetuate the myth that the witcher series is good.

Soral
May 30, 2009

the taint reaper never apologizes for his garbage posts, so you should never apologize for posting truths in his bad threads

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

have you tried giving them dark souls OP?

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Buschmaki posted:

Alright, Taint Reaper everyone makes fun of you for having bad opinions on videogames and I think it's a little harsh, but if you ever in your dumb peon brain think that the Witcher 2 is a good game again I swear to god i will strike you down with the power of good games and gaming integrity and render you into nothing. The Witcher 2 is the worst loving RPG I've ever played, you play as a bland, gravelly voiced old man or something who gets laid like, all the time to prove he's cool I guess? And all the gameplay is stupid, old poo poo that I would expect from a game that's decades old, like Gothic or something. The combat also blows an entire loving strongroom of dicks with it's bland repetitive bullshit gameplay. Also nevermind gently caress it this is already too many words about this piece of poo poo game and if you like The Witcher 2 then I really think you're a loving moron, real talk. Peace.

Buschmaki posted:

looking back on this past it's really harsh and I apologize but I just get so darn mad when people perpetuate the myth that the witcher series is good.

good to see this former yix darling finally get knocked down a peg after all these years

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Buschmaki posted:

taint, reaped, etc.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Played switcher 2 for ten minutes then turned it off and now it rots in my steam library

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Same. Points shotgun at my face.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I never beat either witcher entirely because frankly, gently caress potions.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I've played it like TW2 like 6 times through to completion

I laughed years ago when SA went nuts for Mass Effect 2 and people played it multiple times back to back but deep down I know I'm just as bad as them

surc posted:

I never beat either witcher entirely because frankly, gently caress potions.

you're one of those guys that experiences physical pain every time they use a potion in an RPG because you "might need it more later" aren't you?

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

The Taint Reaper posted:

All they've been talking about for weeks is the next Zelda and hoping it was some dark extreme adventure or whatever.

They kept freaking the hell out everytime someone in the witcher was naked or cursed. I'm like grow up you're in your 30's unmarried, and none of you have kids.

I don't think most of them made it past the prologue because it was hard.

hey you're the burger king apple pie guy aren't you

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

I've played it like TW2 like 6 times through to completion

I laughed years ago when SA went nuts for Mass Effect 2 and people played it multiple times back to back but deep down I know I'm just as bad as them

you're one of those guys that experiences physical pain every time they use a potion in an RPG because you "might need it more later" aren't you?

How about physical pain from watching the 5 second Drink A Potion cutscene every time.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

The Sharmat posted:

No it was this: "Oh hey ok I'm gonna go into battle, let me just sit here and drink this potion, and this potion, and this potion. Ok, now the next time I'm in this place I better take 15 minutes and brew up some more potions! Wait... did I brew up the optimum potion combination? Hmmmmmm.... Wasn't there an actual game in this somewhere?"

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
that didn't bother me but I'm pretty much immune to tedious poo poo in games. there's a reason I have a Morrowind username

Even I don't think I could go back and play TW1 again though, even though I enjoyed it at the time mostly

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

i beat the witcher 1, which i thought was very cool and fun. i have not yet finished 2, but i intend to.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

i never really used potions that much in 1 or 2, and it wasn't a big problem for me. in 2 i was playing on dark mode as well :shrug:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

zen death robot posted:

The potions were pretty loving annoying, that said I hope they fix that. I get the feeling it was done to make a fairly short game feel longer just by making it difficult to figure out sometimes. The Witcher 3 should be able to do away with that poo poo since you're not just walking down a few paths any longer.

apparently TW3 has some weird system where you have potion slots that are almost like an inventory thing where you just drop potions and then wait to actually activate them until you feel like it, which you can do anytime, including combat

and TW2 is pretty average sized for an RPG even if you don't count the other 30-40% of content you miss by not playing both main paths. it's not loving huge like TW1 though yeah

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

zen death robot posted:

The potions were pretty loving annoying, that said I hope they fix that. I get the feeling it was done to make a fairly short game feel longer just by making it difficult to figure out sometimes. The Witcher 3 should be able to do away with that poo poo since you're not just walking down a few paths any longer.

still have no idea why they make you sit down like some loving ripping a bong.

just let me open my loving inventory screen and drink like 5 potions in the timespan of one nanosecond like every other loving video games that uses potions

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
in the books he actually has to meditate and poo poo while drinking them to get the right effect with his hosed up organs. they just did it because of the lore

of course in the books the silver sword was only for really special monsters and he didn't keep it personally on him at all times, and they changed that for convenience's sake.

but anyway apparently in TW3 you can basically just drink like 3 potions instantly so they must have gotten a ton of negative feedback about that.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

The Sharmat posted:

in the books he actually has to meditate and poo poo while drinking them to get the right effect with his hosed up organs. they just did it because of the lore

yeah but in the first game they accomplished this with a poison meter. if you drank too many potions in a short period you would get poisoned and die

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
yeah and also potions lasted for ages in TW1. Like a minimum of a real world half hour. I don't know why they made it so much shorter in TW2

Although getting stuck in bullet time for twenty minutes after a fight was over because you drank Blizzard in TW1 was pretty lame

Dec 26, 2012

i liked how more potions had tradeoffs in tw2 as opposed to just being flat bonuses but not being able to drink them on the fly in a game with no active source of healing is pretty dumb

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah it might have been overkill trying to compensate for how whenever you were in trouble in TW1 you could just down a Swallow or White Rafford's Decoction and be fine. They nerfed those in a lot of ways really. On higher difficulties of TW2 the health boosting ones were only worth it for pretty specific situations. I found it was generally better to do stuff that boosted your damage and just kill things faster so you got hit less

Dec 26, 2012

yes and no, at first thats true but if you drop 2 points into that boost-your-potion-poo poo skill you quickly end up with poo poo like a potion that doubles your hp for the price of -4% damage

white raffard's was cool in tw1 because it was a huge toxicity spike so you could only do that so many times before it would be a problem

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DSSbKObQ3A

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
toxicity was kind of hosed in TW2. the one time I did an alchemy build I made the mistake of taking that skill that lets you use a fourth potion, and absolutely never got to use it because the toxicity would always be too high to accomodate it.

basically give me TW2's combat with TW1's potions (modified a bit to clean out the obvious "this is our first ever game" crap like Blizzard and Cat) and I'll be happy replaying it forever

Dec 26, 2012

pretty much. if you actually want to use 4 potions you have to go out of your way to come up with 4 low-toxicity ones and when all is said and done youd be better off drinking one of the better high-toxicity ones anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
overall I thought the sword tree was the most fun but the magic tree had the best adrenaline move (heliotrope). and alchemy was for if you knew what to do and wanted to absolutely break the endgame

• Locked thread