Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dec 26, 2012

pretty much. if you actually want to use 4 potions you have to go out of your way to come up with 4 low-toxicity ones and when all is said and done youd be better off drinking one of the better high-toxicity ones anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
overall I thought the sword tree was the most fun but the magic tree had the best adrenaline move (heliotrope). and alchemy was for if you knew what to do and wanted to absolutely break the endgame

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Wormskull posted:

The Witcher 2 Is A Worse Game Than Zelda.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't know how you even compare TW2 and Zelda when they're not even in the same genre. But I've played and enjoyed a ton of games that were probably worse than Zelda so it's not like that's some huge deal anyway, Zelda is really good

no one cared the first time either

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

All they've been talking about for weeks is the next Zelda and hoping it was some dark extreme adventure or whatever.

They kept freaking the hell out everytime someone in the witcher was naked or cursed. I'm like grow up you're in your 30's unmarried, and none of you have kids.

I don't think most of them made it past the prologue because it was hard.

It's a lovely game dude.

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Buschmaki posted:

Alright, Taint Reaper everyone makes fun of you for having bad opinions on videogames and I think it's a little harsh, but if you ever in your dumb peon brain think that the Witcher 2 is a good game again I swear to god i will strike you down with the power of good games and gaming integrity and render you into nothing. The Witcher 2 is the worst loving RPG I've ever played, you play as a bland, gravelly voiced old man or something who gets laid like, all the time to prove he's cool I guess? And all the gameplay is stupid, old poo poo that I would expect from a game that's decades old, like Gothic or something. The combat also blows an entire loving strongroom of dicks with it's bland repetitive bullshit gameplay. Also nevermind gently caress it this is already too many words about this piece of poo poo game and if you like The Witcher 2 then I really think you're a loving moron, real talk. Peace.

He's a cock-chugging poo poo-licking piece of rear end, and I'm glad you blasted his rectum with AIDS. Brotap.

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008

lmao

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Buschmaki posted:

Alright, Taint Reaper everyone makes fun of you for having bad opinions on videogames and I think it's a little harsh, but if you ever in your dumb peon brain think that the Witcher 2 is a good game again I swear to god i will strike you down with the power of good games and gaming integrity and render you into nothing. The Witcher 2 is the worst loving RPG I've ever played, you play as a bland, gravelly voiced old man or something who gets laid like, all the time to prove he's cool I guess? And all the gameplay is stupid, old poo poo that I would expect from a game that's decades old, like Gothic or something. The combat also blows an entire loving strongroom of dicks with it's bland repetitive bullshit gameplay. Also nevermind gently caress it this is already too many words about this piece of poo poo game and if you like The Witcher 2 then I really think you're a loving moron, real talk. Peace.

I dunno I consider Nier, Dragon Age 2, and Star Ocean 3 and 4 to be poo poo tier, TW2 didn't seem as bad as Nier.

Like TW2 did not even begin to approach those. It seemed to be on the same level as Lost Odyssey.

Besides it's only like 5 dollars.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

even if you dislike TW2, it is hard to argue it is as bad as Star OCean.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
how does Star Ocean compare to Dragon Age 2?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

you know what games sucks? the witcher 1, 2, and probably 3

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

The Sharmat posted:

how does Star Ocean compare to Dragon Age 2?

they're pretty similar, honestly. 3 is just bad and boring, 4 is bad and extremely creepy. for example, 4 has a 16 year old character who looks and acts as if she is 6 and to get the best ending you must have her sleeping with an adult male.

dragon age 2 is just bad, and lazy. theres offensive stuff but it's not Problematic.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Years back I heard Star Ocean 2 was good because the world was open for exploration from the beginning.

I tried 3 for a bit and the tutorial felt like it was going on for way longer than it should.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Silver Striker posted:

they're pretty similar, honestly. 3 is just bad and boring, 4 is bad and extremely creepy. for example, 4 has a 16 year old character who looks and acts as if she is 6 and to get the best ending you must have her sleeping with an adult male.

dragon age 2 is just bad, and lazy. theres offensive stuff but it's not Problematic.

I'm sure if I looked I could find an argument that said comparing Jews to potentially demon possessed wizards is Problematic. I mean, if you want.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

The Sharmat posted:

I'm sure if I looked I could find an argument that said comparing Jews to potentially demon possessed wizards is Problematic. I mean, if you want.

all that stuff is "just jokes" though whereas it's 100% serious in star ocean

i think they're both awful

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Silver Striker posted:

all that stuff is "just jokes"

never assume this

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Witcher 2 potion stuff is easy though. Hmm this is gonna be a tough fight, should I drink health regeneration and +damage, or should I not do that? Too difficult a choice for the modern gamer.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
they weren't really complaining that it was hard, they were complaining about the really long animation where Geralt sits down and meditates each time before he drinks

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

The Sharmat posted:

never assume this

well, it's played off specific as a "joke" at one point. i think it's pretty disgusting either way, but on one hand you have 100% straight faced pedofiles (star ocean) and on the other hand you have people making awful "jokes" about touchy subjects. i'd say the pedofiles are worse.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The Sharmat posted:

they weren't really complaining that it was hard, they were complaining about the really long animation where Geralt sits down and meditates each time before he drinks

Fair enough. The point of that though is to prepare with potions instead of using them on the fly. They're basically an equipment loadout instead of a panic button. Cool if you don't like that but it's not just bullshit lore friendliness.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Silver Striker posted:

well, it's played off specific as a "joke" at one point.

I'm pretty sure they were deliberately invoking the holocaust in DA2 to make the game more serious

If they literally meant that entire sidequest as a joke then that's pretty hosed up

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

The Sharmat posted:

I'm pretty sure they were deliberately invoking the holocaust in DA2 to make the game more serious

If they literally meant that entire sidequest as a joke then that's pretty hosed up

the preorder dlc character makes a "final solution" "joke" once you resolve that plot arc.

it's pretty awful no matter how you cut it.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
They'd been calling it "The Tranquil Solution" the whole time before then though, so they were invoking the holocaust outside the joke

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
the witcher series might not be very good, but you know what other games suck? all of them

all games are bad

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
turn in your original gamer tag

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Mash posted:

the witcher series might not be very good, but you know what other games suck? all of them

all games are bad

Derp!

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

turn in your original gamer tag

i would but i'm too busy living my alpha male sex-having life with my bros

Mom with a blog fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 9, 2014

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

audrey you can't even talk

your father thought he was general lee for christs sake

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Silver Striker posted:

The Sharmat posted:

Silver Striker posted:

all that stuff is "just jokes" though whereas it's 100% serious in star ocean

i think they're both awful

The Sharmat posted:

never assume this

Silver Striker posted:

well, it's played off specific as a "joke" at one point. i think it's pretty disgusting either way, but on one hand you have 100% straight faced pedofiles (star ocean) and on the other hand you have people making awful "jokes" about touchy subjects. i'd say the pedofiles are worse.

The Sharmat posted:

Silver Striker posted:

the preorder dlc character makes a "final solution" "joke" once you resolve that plot arc.

it's pretty awful no matter how you cut it.

The Sharmat posted:

They'd been calling it "The Tranquil Solution" the whole time before then though, so they were invoking the holocaust outside the joke

[at the telephone] "Hello, is this Games? We have two escaped inmates itt, they can't stop talking about gay problematic stuff and if you don't come pick up them I'll shoot them both in the head with a double barreled shotgun"

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm just saying it was really feeble and ham handed. It was Bioware going "WE'RE DARK AND DO DEEP SOCIAL COMMENTARY LIKE SAYING THE HOLOCAUST IS BAD. SEE?"

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

The Sharmat posted:

I'm just saying it was really feeble and ham handed. It was Bioware going "WE'RE DARK AND DO DEEP SOCIAL COMMENTARY LIKE SAYING THE HOLOCAUST IS BAD. SEE?"

I read an epic and win LP of that game awhile ago, and it turns out that the jew-mages are all mass murderers waiting for the slightest provocation to set them off. So the game is actually saying the Holocaust was good, which is pretty win.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
There's a part in Dragon Age 2 where one of the characters commits magic 9/11 complete with a huge explosion destroying twin towers.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
the clear message is that the Jews did 9/11

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

Fair enough. The point of that though is to prepare with potions instead of using them on the fly. They're basically an equipment loadout instead of a panic button. Cool if you don't like that but it's not just bullshit lore friendliness.

I actually am down with the witcher lore, I am a nerd so I read and enjoyed the books, just gently caress potions and all the other poo poo they put in that you have to get past to actually play the game. If I'm always going to want the benefit of the potions, don't make me have to spend a bunch of time not really playing the game to set them up beforehand. Along the same lines, too many fetch-quests that didn't feel like they fleshed out the story. Don't make me do pointless poo poo to get to the meat of your game, just so your game is bigger. Give me the good parts so that I enjoy the whole experience. I will probably buy and enjoy at least some of Witcher 3, I am excited for it to disappoint me.

Also uhhhh clearly Bush did 9/11 wtf is wrong with you.

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial
I actually liked the preparation thing too except for the times where you'd have some hugeass encounter that autosaved right after a cutscene and didn't give you a chance to do potions. So gently caress you if you invested in 1 of the game's 3 skill trees congrats now you're just a generic swordman. Other than that I thought it was cool to treat them as a "choose your passives" mechanic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
my only real beef with TW2 potions is how short they lasted compared to the first game. like TW1 potions lasted for a half-hour or more while TW2 potions lasted a couple of minutes. even better, i think TW2 potion duration was counted down during cutscenes, which usually happened between a tough fight and your opportunity to prepare for said fight

• Locked thread