Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:smugmrgw:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah i mean coreos's rule is EVERYTHING RUNS IN A DOCKER. except for ssh. ssh runs native.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Vulgrim posted:

this for real, only ever access unix machines via ssh

This is a great tip but I'm sure some people just got their new unix desktop and they're wondering how to use it! Well its simple my friend. Just follow these easy instructions:

1) install the following packages: q4wine, pq, wine, fxlrg, xserver-xorg-core, xserver-xorg, xorg, xorg (note you may need to change the order of these based on their dependency trees)

2) simply allow port 22 in the firewall with this ez command iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -s 127.0.0.1* -j ACCEPT

3) install ssh server

4) start it easily by running /etc/init.d/sshd start

5) download putty: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

6) use putty to ssh user@127.0.0.1

There you go, an easy way to get started using your new unix machine right on your very own terminal! Enjoy this unix tip everyone.

*protip: for more advanced users i.e hackers and such try using ::1 for this

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

my #1 unix tip would probably be to make sure that at all times you have a second, non-unix computer on hand to be able to google up how to do something in unix

hope this helps

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

lol

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
#1 unix tip is to have a mac osx unix avilable to ssh into your primary unix

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

#1 unix tip is to have a mac osx unix avilable to ssh into your primary unix

the ideal solution. use a mac as your desktop, and it's built-in capability to talk to unix machines with ease.

even managing unix computers, servers, obviously, timg has our backs

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
what CANT macs do best?

well, i guess video games, that's okay though - i mean, i wouldn't let a boy child have a mac unless he really showed he could take care of a quality device.

the rest for their "video games" they so lust after, should be happy for the optiplexes my work gives away after end of service.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
#1 killer feature of mac osx: exactly like linux in every meaingful way except that it does not have the linux ui

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
will someone post some terminal themes to use on my 15" rmbp? im having problems choosing between homebrew and pro but there might be a better one...

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

gnrk posted:

will someone post some terminal themes to use on my 15" rmbp? im having problems choosing between homebrew and pro but there might be a better one...

are you..aha..ahaha. not using iterm 2?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

are you..aha..ahaha. not using iterm 2?

:effort:

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
no I'm not, what are the advantages over the regular terminal app?

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
you seem like a real linux pro chumpchous

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i just use the regular terminal.app but then again i dont care about fancy terminals, i just want to be able to do poo poo and all needs are well met there (as a unix pro)

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

gnrk posted:

no I'm not, what are the advantages over the regular terminal app?

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
Home
News
Features
FAQ
Documentation
Downloads
Split Panes
Divide a tab up into multiple panes, each one of which shows a different session. You can slice vertically and horizontally and create any number of panes in any imaginable arrangement.

Notice how inactive panes are slightly dimmed so it's easy to see which is active.

Hotkey Window
Register a hotkey that brings iTerm2 to the foreground when you're in another application. A terminal is always a keypress away. You can choose to have the hotkey open a dedicated window. This gives you an always-available terminal (like Visor, Guake, or Yakuake) at your fingertips.

Search
iTerm2 comes with a robust find-on-page feature. The UI stays out of the way. All matches are immediately highlighted. Even regular expression support is offered!

Autocomplete
Just type the start of any word that has ever appeared in your window and then Cmd-; will pop open a window with suggestions. The word you're looking for is usually on top of the list!

Mouseless Copy
Use the Find feature to begin searching for text. Press tab to expand the selection to the right or shift-tab to expand the selection to the left. Option-enter pastes the current match.

Paste History
Paste history lets you revisit recently copied or pasted text. You can even opt to have the history saved to disk so it will never be lost.

Instant Replay
Instant replay lets you travel back in time. It's like TiVo for your terminal!

Configurability
Map any key to any function. Assign separate functions to each option key--or even remap all the modifier keys. You can customize iTerm2's appearance to suit your needs: enable transparency, background blur, background images, and much more.

Unixyness
Coming from a Unix world? You'll feel at home with focus follows mouse, copy on select, middle button paste, and keyboard shortcuts to avoid mousing.

256 Colors
With 256-color mode, Vim explodes with photorealism: the terminal is a medley of color and code comes alive.

Readability
Do you lose your cursor when there are lots of different colors or have programs display hard-to-read color combinations? With the Smart Cursor Color and Minimum Contrast features, you can ensure that these problems are gone for good.

Mouse Reporting
You can use the mouse to position the cursor, highlight text, and perform other functions in programs like Vim and Emacs with the mouse reporting feature.

Growl Support
You can choose to receive Growl notifications of activity, bells, and more. Feel free to let a long job run in the background, secure in the knowledge that you'll know when it's done.

Exposé Tabs
Like OS X's Exposé feature, iTerm2 shows all your tabs on one screen. Better yet, you can search through them all at once. Go ahead and open as many tabs as you want--you can always find what you're looking for.

Tagged Profiles
Do you need to store separate configurations for many different hosts? iTerm2 provides a taggable and searchable profiles database so you can easily find the profile you're looking for.

Multi-Lingual
iTerm2 features excellent internationalization support, including support for Unicode combining marks, double-width characters, and all Unicode planes.

Triggers
iTerm2 supports user-defined triggers, which are actions that run when text matching a regular expression is received. You can use it to highlight words, automatically respond to prompts, notify you when something important happens, and more.

Smart Selection
iTerm2 can perform "smart selection" to highlight URLs, email addresses, filenames, and more by recognizing what is under the cursor and choosing how much text to select.

iTerm2 by George Nachman. Website by Matthew Freeman, George Nachman, and James A. Rosen.

Website updated and optimized by HexBrain

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

came here to post this

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

rotor posted:

came here to post this

found out about it a month ago :(

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
control-z is also p good

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
mash ctrl-d repeatedly, then unplug the computer to be sure

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

crusader_complex posted:

mash ctrl-d repeatedly, then unplug the computer to be sure
when i first started using linux i didn't have instructions for shutting down the system so i went to single user and ran sync 3 times and hit the power button

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Vulgrim posted:

this for real, only ever access unix machines via ssh

use ssh -x if you want to be reminded what ugly looks like

OR LOOK IN A MIRROR !!!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Gazpacho posted:

when i first started using linux i didn't have instructions for shutting down the system so i went to single user and ran sync 3 times and hit the power button

idk how you would know how to do this without knowing anything abou t linux?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
ps i just found out about <() redirection in bash last week and my god where have you been all my life

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

idk how you would know how to do this without knowing anything abou t linux?
i knew things, just not the right things

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

gnrk posted:

white on black, monaco 9, little bit of transparency if u wanna live on the edge

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've got a tip u can grep, OP

Vulgrim
Aug 29, 2014

by Ralp
Control-M is really decent automation software and beats messing around with seas of cron jobs

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Hed posted:

I've got a tip u can grep, OP

hehe the grepiest she was practically tasking for it!!

Joe Law
Jun 30, 2008

man every single command every time. in the fast changing world of the unix enviroment you need to keep up with the break neck changes of the free world and man is how you keep in the know.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
rsync -aPv everything

even a single file copied to the same drive
if it ain't rsync'd or torrented your data is already gone

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I ran an rsync on 9 million files and it took 2 weeks to complete I should have used cp instead. (true story)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
alias sd='sudo'

then learn that !! is the last line you typed

apt-get install hogwarts-dev one-ring-gtk-dev xfree86 fortune rambo-curses
gently caress
sd !!

and !$ is the last argument of the last line you typed

mv butts.txt /usr/share/scripts/ill/be/your/tiny/dancer/sha/na/na/na/
cd !$

Vulgrim
Aug 29, 2014

by Ralp

Jonny 290 posted:

alias sd='sudo'

then learn that !! is the last line you typed

apt-get install hogwarts-dev one-ring-gtk-dev xfree86 fortune rambo-curses
gently caress
sd !!

and !$ is the last argument of the last line you typed

mv butts.txt /usr/share/scripts/ill/be/your/tiny/dancer/sha/na/na/na/
cd !$

thats actually pretty cool

favourite feature of putty is how selecting something copies it automatically, and right click pastes!!

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
do everything as root at all times

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Ericadia posted:

do everything as root at all times

agreed, but only if ur a pro (pro linux users haven't utterly destroyed a box accidentaly in AT LEAST 2 yers) but yanno its still possible

i tanked a production nameserver at work just a year or so ago myself by loving up a chmod as root, poo poo happens and when you invoke the powers of root you can kill a box easier than you think

all the super senior guys just told me "i've never done that twice"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sniep posted:

all the super senior guys just told me "i've never done that twice"

this is a macro in our hipchat

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

this is a macro in our hipchat

ya that meme is older than poo poo, even my dad told me as a little that i had one get out of jail free card

i could use it any time but only once, no matter how deep of poo poo i got myself into

it's the best self policing system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

carry on then posted:

white on black, monaco 9, little bit of transparency if u wanna live on the edge

transparent terminals are the tackiest poo poo

• Locked thread