Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Let's not also forget that New Character #98 is literally Yang's model but palette swapped. It better be a clone or something otherwise LmaO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

The Bee posted:

Even compared to how tensionless the series already has been, I'm amazed by how little tension this episode had.

I'm not saying make everything grimdark and bloody, but this was the show's big chance to finally show why the Grimm are considered so dangerous. So naturally, our heroes curbstomp them without a hitch. Then their goofy best friends do. Then their teachers and the faceless robot mooks do. Then the MAIN VILLAINS do, because why not. Then the random upperclassmen out of nowhere because we really need more characters I guess.

Another instance of telling instead of showing. Even Jaune was able to defeat one and I don't take that as him growing stronger, but as the grimm being a non-threat. Speaking of Jaune, him defeating a grimm by himself seems like it should be the payoff of some screen time.

About the plot what the gently caress was it even? What was the emotional payoff to the reasons why these girls wanted to be Huntresses? It feels like that got to the middle of the movie and just ended it there without resolving anything.

The plot is mostly just an excuse for the action. They should really go the Inferno Cop or No More Heroes route and just get stupid with it.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Chexoid posted:

Let's not also forget that New Character #98 is literally Yang's model but palette swapped. It better be a clone or something otherwise LmaO

I'll chalk it more up to the faces being very samey and this lady obviously being her mother I mean come on its literally Yang with Ruby's colors.

Still, cripes that's lazy.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 31, 2014

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Even people who hate this show like the soundtrack, right?

Because Shine is pretty choice.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Jeff Williams' score is literally the only redeemable thing about this anime fanfiction.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Solaris Knight posted:

Even people who hate this show like the soundtrack, right?

Because Shine is pretty choice.

If you mean the song they sing for the opening and ending then that stuff makes me feel embarrassed by proxy. Kinda feels like something you'd hear on the Disney channel or something.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Srice posted:

If you mean the song they sing for the opening and ending then that stuff makes me feel embarrassed by proxy. Kinda feels like something you'd hear on the Disney channel or something.

I have to admit that I have listened to the ost. There's some bad stuff in there, but I'd be lying if said I didn't enjoy "I Burn." It's so cheesy that I love it.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Chexoid posted:

Pictured: RWBY At Its Strongest.

Best 5 minutes of the episode. It feels a bit boring if all the students are that strong and they're not even graduates yet.

Reminds me, I love everyone's fashion sense.

S2 apart from the Prom scenes was a huge letdown with no real progress other than flashy fights. I'm ambivalent if I care enough to wait for S3 right now. Perhaps, just to see another Yang vs Neo fight round 2.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
God drat, you could actually feel the tension draining out of that episode like a popped balloon.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Alder posted:

Best 5 minutes of the episode. It feels a bit boring if all the students are that strong and they're not even graduates yet.

S2 apart from the Prom scenes was a huge letdown with no real progress other than flashy fights. I'm ambivalent if I care enough to wait for S3 right now. Perhaps, just to see another Yang vs Neo fight round 2.

Honestly the prom scenes contribute even more to the feeling of no progress. A ton of airtime wasted on characters who make Jaune seem useful and important by comparison.

I guess that's my big problem with the series in general. There's no focus. Is it about balancing school responsibilities and being the hero, a hopeless situation with the world's problems all coming to a head, or a silly shonen bloodbath? Deep moments briefly surface but vanish quickly. Fight scenes are just constant setpiece fests always trying to one up the last one. Pointless new characters appear on a regular basis.

If Monty Oum could restrain himself and stick to maybe half of what he has I'd feel much more optimistic. But I get the feeling he's going to just keep adding more.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Alder posted:

I think the above assessment that it feels like a good episode, but not a good finale, makes a fair amount of sense. Really, the issue overall seems to be in the setup, which the main characters even deliberately comment on, is that its having them poke at the surface of the mysteries and conspiracies behind the scenes, but wants to keep the mystery going for a bit more still, so they don't really quite get answers on anything. They know Torchwick was getting weapons, but not how. They know he had plans to lure Grimm into the city, but not why. They know that someone tried to steal military secrets, but not who. And admittedly, for most of it, I can understand why, but it does leave it feeling like there is a substantial lack of progress to be made where there otherwise could have been. There's some character exploration to try and balance things out, but those were more to restabilise people after being thrown off balance.

And it kinda ends up being similar with the fight in the city. Ruby mentions how people were hurt in the attack, but we never got to see much of that sort of thing. Heck, it doesn't even need to necessarily change the students managing to actually curbstomp the Grimm in the end (though you still could have seen more tension with the larger Grimm), but at least showcase why they're such a problem by pointing out the numerical issue at least. Whilst RWBY were fighting, Grimm they couldn't get to could have been running amok through the streets, only to eventually get put down by the arrival of reinforcements - which lets Monty keep the fight sequences he loves so much. Grimm singlehandedly don't need to be much of a danger, but the series has made a deal about their ability to swarm, so why not use it?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

The Bee posted:

If Monty Oum could restrain himself and stick to maybe half of what he has I'd feel much more optimistic. But I get the feeling he's going to just keep adding more.

B-But flawed characters add realism?! Or in reality they seem even more useless compared to the rest of the cast. Agreed how it's starting to become a shaggy dog story now than ever.

@Astro Nut: True, the Grimm just don't feel scary despite what everyone else says to the audience. It has this weird conveniently empty town which turns into a battle field scenario. I'm not asking to animate crowds fleeing from every building but where did people get hurt again?

When all is said and done, I'd totally be hyped for RWBY if I were 12-14 year old and I'd never seen anime before :coolfish:

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

Srice posted:

Shine was the song used for the dumb but amazing JNPR prom dance.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I checked out some more in case I was being stupid but nope I still don't like it, and I typed up some words but the hell with it I stick by my original verdict; it's cargo-cult anime that took a bunch of stuff they saw in other media and tried to assemble it like some sort of TvTropes monstrosity. The fights are nice and have one-up on stuff like the Star Wars prequels in that at least all the attacks look like they're intended to do damage while they twirl around. I do wonder what the general audience for this is, besides 'tumblr'.

And nothing is going to save those god-awful backdrops.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 1, 2014

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Chexoid posted:

Pretty sure that's her mom.

e: I'm with people on that the Grimm should've been way more threatening then they are, RWBY should've been on their last ropes at least before reinforcements arrived.

I think it would've worked people if some bystanders clearly got murdered even if there was a last second cut away.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 1, 2014

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Alder posted:

B-But flawed characters add realism?! Or in reality they seem even more useless compared to the rest of the cast.

There's flawed characters and then there's useless characters. Sun and Neptune literally exist to be drooled over by the main cast and almost nothing else. Their only fights in recent memory had them leaving midfight to get coffee against the robot and get outperformed by every character including a goddamn corgi in this latest episode.

I love flawed characters, and I'd love to see everyone in this show stop being so invincible. Its just a problem when you could completely ignore their segments of the episode and losing nothing as a result.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Rooster Teeth posted:

It is with great regret that I must inform you that our co-worker and our dear friend, Monty Oum, has had a medical emergency. He is currently hospitalized in critical care and it is not known if he will recover. He is receiving the best medical care possible and is surrounded by both family and friends who love him very much.

While we wanted you to know as soon as possible, we also have the utmost respect for Monty's privacy and we hope you will understand and share in that respect.

Monty is a tremendous talent who has accomplished so much in his young life. He has an amazing creative ability and the drive to put it to use. That is a rare combination and we are proud to have shared in it.

We expect that this news will be shocking to most of you and very difficult to process. It has been for many of us as well. Our hearts are with Monty, his wife Sheena and his brothers & sisters. They will need your good thoughts, your prayers, whatever kindness you have to offer. This fund has been established to help Monty's family with medical expenses.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Huh. I didn't know he was married. That's honestly kind of shocking.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I guess I thought of him kind of like Sheldon in that regards, someone so dedicated to their profession they'd have little time for romance, so that's the one :unsmith: is finding out he has a family like that. But otherwise :smith: all the way, I hope he recovers.

It must be serious is Roosterteeth's insurance doesn't cover it. :(

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I wonder what happened. To say "It's not known if he'll recover" is pretty crazy, especially since if it was, like, a car accident, they'd mention it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Takoluka posted:

I wonder what happened. To say "It's not known if he'll recover" is pretty crazy, especially since if it was, like, a car accident, they'd mention it.

The only reason to get a sudden severe hospitalization like that is either suicide attempt or some sort of life ending illness.

Cechmanek
Jan 25, 2007

DAMN
YOU
SHADOW!!

I find it strange that there's not even a shred of info on why he's in the hospital. To me that sounds like maybe a suicide attempt or maybe he did something stupid like getting into a car wreck while drunk. If it was something simple as an illness, I would think it would be brought up.

That being said, I hope he pulls through okay.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Cechmanek posted:

I find it strange that there's not even a shred of info on why he's in the hospital. To me that sounds like maybe a suicide attempt or maybe he did something stupid like getting into a car wreck while drunk. If it was something simple as an illness, I would think it would be brought up.

That being said, I hope he pulls through okay.

Monty's a workaholic to extremely unhealthy levels, so I'm willing to bet that it finally caught up with him.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Might also be a legal thing where they just aren't allowed to disclose anything even if they want to.

Given how much of a workaholic he was, I wouldn't be shocked if it was an unchecked blood clot triggering a giant stroke or something to that effect. That'd count as a medical emergency, leave him in 'critical' condition, and they wouldn't know if he'd recover from it. He basically sat in his chair around the clock, right?

Ross and Arin of Game Grumps flew out to Texas during the weekend and the photos posted seem pretty silly. I'm hoping that's because Monty's getting better and not because they're just trying to keep their spirits up. If his condition was getting worse, you'd figure the rest of the Grumps crew would've gone down, too.

Having no news at all is awful. Just hearing 'yo, he's not going to die' would be nice at this point. :(

Cechmanek
Jan 25, 2007

DAMN
YOU
SHADOW!!

ChibiSoma posted:

Might also be a legal thing where they just aren't allowed to disclose anything even if they want to.

Given how much of a workaholic he was, I wouldn't be shocked if it was an unchecked blood clot triggering a giant stroke or something to that effect. That'd count as a medical emergency, leave him in 'critical' condition, and they wouldn't know if he'd recover from it. He basically sat in his chair around the clock, right?

Ross and Arin of Game Grumps flew out to Texas during the weekend and the photos posted seem pretty silly. I'm hoping that's because Monty's getting better and not because they're just trying to keep their spirits up. If his condition was getting worse, you'd figure the rest of the Grumps crew would've gone down, too.

Having no news at all is awful. Just hearing 'yo, he's not going to die' would be nice at this point. :(

Anything could count as a medical emergency, that's the problem. If it was said that it was an accident, illness, or medical condition, that would be a little more clear. That would be crazy if it was a suicide attempt, just because just a year and half ago they had a former member of their staff kill himself. What I find strange is that other than the initial announcement and the follow up about they already reached the fund raising goal, there hasn't been one word about it. Even a, "We have no new information at this time." would be nice.

I used to be super into RT until a few years ago and I don't recognize anybody in those pictures

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well gently caress.

quote:

Our friend, inspiration and co-worker Monty Oum passed away yesterday afternoon at 4:34 PM surrounded by people who loved him very much. Ten days ago Monty suffered a severe allergic reaction during a simple medical procedure that left him in a coma. Although he fought bravely, his body was not able to recover. During his time in the hospital he was well cared for and never in pain at any time.

Monty is survived by his wife Sheena, his father Mony, his brothers Woody, Sey, Chivy and Neat, and his sisters Thea and Theary, as well as a countless number of fans and friends. We were so proud to be a part of his life and we will miss him greatly.

Your generosity during the hours after the public statement on Friday will help his family deal with the costs of his care and his passing. You made an incredible difference during a difficult time and we cannot thank you enough.

As for honoring Monty, we will do that in our own way. In lieu of flowers or gifts, we ask that you simply do something creative. Use your imagination to make the world a better place in any way that you can. If you know Monty like we do, then you know he would certainly be doing that if he were able to.

Monty was 33 years old.

We love you, Monty.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Fuckin hell :smith:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

So one of my favourite animators died the day before my birthday. That... rather takes the energy out of my evening.

gently caress.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Man how loving terrible. 33 is way too early.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
This horrible. I feel so sorry for all his friends and fans. I stopped watching RWBY awhile ago, but he was definitely the best part of it. Rest in peace, dude.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
RIP. He may have been a little strange, but he did what he loved and had a good run, even if it ended too short.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wait, allergic reaction to a medical procedure? Like, they gave him penicillin and it did this? I thought they triple-checked that poo poo.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Wait, allergic reaction to a medical procedure? Like, they gave him penicillin and it did this? I thought they triple-checked that poo poo.

It happens. My university advisor was recently incapacitated for a fortnight by some medication she took for a minor illness.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I know a guy who broke his leg. Got it treated and everything with no problem. 1 day later he had to go in for cardiac arrest because the medicine they gave him during the treatment had some crazy reaction.
Basically this poo poo can be unpredictable even with all the precautions taken.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RWBY wasn't really my jam, but RIP dude.

Wonder if they'll continue the show without him? It's successful, but at the same time from everything I've heard, he was basically the driving force behind it.

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale

Endorph posted:

RWBY wasn't really my jam, but RIP dude.

Wonder if they'll continue the show without him? It's successful, but at the same time from everything I've heard, he was basically the driving force behind it.

My guess is they will produce whatever they had already planned, maybe adding a little bit to give it a proper ending, then just leave it.

Cechmanek
Jan 25, 2007

DAMN
YOU
SHADOW!!

That's awful. This would also explain the lack of any news recently.

Captain Invictus posted:

Other than asking the patient, is there anyway to find out if someone is allergic to any medication?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Cechmanek posted:

Other than asking the patient, is there anyway to find out if someone is allergic to any medication?

Unfortunately, often only if they'd previously had issues with said medication. In major cases, they may take a blood sample beforehand to be safe, but often enough its presumed to be so minor that the medicine can be handed over without issue, and well...

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
No. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

As someone who specifically wanted to see what someone like him would do after something like RWBY and beyond, this is a real shame. Now they won't ever exist.

• Locked thread