Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

:smith:

Awful news. Guy didn't create high art or anything, but you always got the sense that he worked really hard on poo poo that he really enjoyed. He'll be missed. I feel awful for his folks. I can't imagine losing someone I cared about to a freak allergic reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Holy poo poo

:stare:

I think the anime industry is cursed, first Satoshi Kon now this guy

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 2, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Wait, allergic reaction to a medical procedure? Like, they gave him penicillin and it did this? I thought they triple-checked that poo poo.

Most hospital deaths like this are down to the anesthesiologist not being informed or the person not knowing they had an allergy. Some of that stuff once its in you is pure poison and there's nothing your body can do but shut down.

That's how Joan Rivers and Kayne's mother died, complications stemming from the drugs they were given. It's not uncommon but usually a sign that the managing doctors screwed up some basic paperwork or didn't verify the details.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 2, 2015

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

icantfindaname posted:

Holy poo poo

:stare:

I think the anime industry is cursed, first Satoshi Kon now this guy

Always in threes. Who's next???

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Takoluka posted:

Always in threes. Who's next???
satoshi kon was like 5 yearsa go

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like Rooster Teeth has a special podcast coming later today on YT. They've wisely chosen to disable chat for it. I wonder how much of RWBY's story the rest of the team knows, assuming they plan on continuing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ChibiSoma posted:

Looks like Rooster Teeth has a special podcast coming later today on YT. They've wisely chosen to disable chat for it. I wonder how much of RWBY's story the rest of the team knows, assuming they plan on continuing.

I fell the story should be the easy bit. It's the visuals that'll present a challenge. Do they even have other fight scene guys?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Spiritus Nox posted:

I can't imagine losing someone I cared about to a freak allergic reaction.
An old classmate of mine was on a caribbean cruise and they gave him a dish that had peanut something in it despite him telling them he was very allergic, and he was dead within 30 seconds. If you've got a strong allergy to something, it's a good idea to have an epi-pen handy everywhere you go.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Spiritus Nox posted:

I can't imagine losing someone I cared about to a freak allergic reaction.

I can because it happened to a family friend, and she was only 14. :smith:

ChibiSoma posted:

The head writers are Kerry and Miles, so they know the story most likely.

Darth Walrus posted:

I fell the story should be the easy bit. It's the visuals that'll present a challenge. Do they even have other fight scene guys?

RWBY's production isn't just Monty doing everything anymore, they had a full production team of animators and choreographers; so in theory continuing is certainly possible from a technical stand point, but certainly it is a loss not easily overcome. :(

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 2, 2015

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Man I thought that besides the music, RWBY wasn't that great, but 33 is young as hell. Sucks for his family.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

RWBY was kind of an abomination, but at least the dude was doing what he loved. May he make MMD animations in the heavens.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
poo poo, this is awful. That's really a young age to go.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
When I saw the sudden burst of posts in this thread, I jokingly worried that this had happened. What a tragic end.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
This came out of nowhere. I'm half-expecting Monty to drag himself out of the hospital and into his workplace, it was so sudden. I hope his loved ones are coping well.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That's a real shame. I only knew him from his Haloid stuff and work on RvB, but it's pretty scary to see someone die that young.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Jesus, and I thought some classmates who just went through surgery and had horrible reactions to the anesthesia were bad. I don't know what's worse, that no one knew he had a allergy to medications, or that the hospital could gently caress up so bad.

Raenir Salazar posted:

The head writers are Kerry and Miles, so they know the story most likely.

I've been hearing that Monty pulled a GRRM and gave the crew story notes in case something bad happened. It might be hysterics or just weird mutated rumors from a weird fanbase, but still.

JackMackerel fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 3, 2015

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
This live podcast is kind of hard to watch. It's four of his co-workers chatting about stories of Monty and his life. It's just kind of a big downer. He was unbelievably dedicated to his work, it seems.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Covok posted:

This live podcast is kind of hard to watch. It's four of his co-workers chatting about stories of Monty and his life. It's just kind of a big downer. He was unbelievably dedicated to his work, it seems.

Burnie sounds like he's actively trying to make his voice not hitch. :(

Wonder what's gonna happen to Ren...

Covok
May 27, 2013

ChibiSoma posted:

Burnie sounds like he's actively trying to make his voice not hitch. :(

Wonder what's gonna happen to Ren...

They all have moments where it's clear they're trying not to let that happen. It's clear that they were close.

Edit: This ending was the hardest to watch. It was clear as it was winding down that all of them were really sad and their voices were starting to show it.

Covok fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 3, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, when Giant Bomb lost Ryan Davis, they did a similar Irish wake for him in podcast form, and they managed to hold it together right up until the end, when vinny caravella, the most joyously enthusiastic guy at everything he does, choked up a little bit when he said "goodbye ryan", and that's all it took to get the waterworks going for me. I am honestly a little surprised that they did this so soon, but maybe it's a good thing they did.

This sucks a big one.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I guess I need to be a sponsor to watch it now? I missed it. :(

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

I guess I need to be a sponsor to watch it now? I missed it. :(

Usually the podcast is live for sponsors but this one was free. Site was pretty bogged down, though.

of bees
Dec 28, 2009
It will probably be on the channel at some point, for everyone who missed the stream.

It was also a short stream too, not even an hour long (compared to the usual 2-ish hours the podcasts usually are).

Cechmanek
Jan 25, 2007

DAMN
YOU
SHADOW!!

This whole thing just makes you realize how fragile life is.

Out of curiosity, did the podcast give any news or was it a tribute only?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Cechmanek posted:

This whole thing just makes you realize how fragile life is.

Out of curiosity, did the podcast give any news or was it a tribute only?

It was entirely a tribute. Only things to be learned were about his life and that information just makes this all more tragic.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

The podcast was mostly the guys sharing stories about Monty and his quirks, and there was a tribute video at the end. It was pretty hard to watch. Even Gus got choked up at one point. Burnie tweeted that Gus is going to upload it to Youtube tomorrow so it'll be up for everyone. It's definitely worth watching, but it's a gut punch and you can really see how much Monty meant to his friends.

The only news that has been released is that Monty went in for something relatively routine ten days ago, had a severe allergic reaction and ended up in a coma. If you look at videos RT produced around that time (stuff like the Know with a short release cycle) the hosts suddenly get a lot less cheerful and the fans were wondering what was up. (I remember the prevailing theory being Meg got yelled at for being too chirpy reporting about how Tutankhamun's mask got wrecked, which in retrospect was a pretty goddamn stupid theory.)

From what I understand, Monty had pretty concrete ideas where he wanted RWBY to go, and shared them with his team -- not necessarily because he was worried about his health, but more in a "I have to get these thoughts out of my head to make room for new ones" kind of thing. They definitely have enough material to keep going.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Ross of GG wrote a post about his history with Monty. I didn't know much about the man but I enjoyed his creations even before I knew who he was, and he seemed like a really inspirational person. Sad to see him go. It must be awful for everyone involved.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

HGH posted:

Ross of GG wrote a post about his history with Monty. I didn't know much about the man but I enjoyed his creations even before I knew who he was, and he seemed like a really inspirational person. Sad to see him go. It must be awful for everyone involved.

So did Arin.

One thing you see and hear a lot in these is that Monty always wanted to push those around him towards whatever creative thing they had in their head but never started on for whatever reasons. From the above post:

quote:

Then I would tell him my goals, and my creative vision, and he would just tell me, “you can do it. You can pull that off, what are you afraid of? If it’s not good, whatever, at least you MADE something.” Not a single shred of doubt, just blunt but warm encouragement.

Ross' post had something similar in it. Something to the effect of 'your project can't get better if you never start it.' He seemed to be able to generate that desire to create in people, even if he didn't know them well. I've never seen 'inspiration' as much as I have in these blog posts of people describing Monty.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
RWBY was really hard to get into, but the fight sequences I always thought to look really fun, essentially an animators toolbox of just having as much fun as possible.

Maybe I'll only remember it for that, but the AMVHell thing that essentially took the Yellow Trailer and added a different song to it was how I learned this thing even existed and made me wonder exactly what it was.

It's a real shame he passed away

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

As someone who thought RWBY was the junkiest of junk food, that bit about Monty telling people to do whatever creative thing they wanted, and if it's not good then whatever, at least you made something...that hits me as both :smith: and :unsmith:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Spiritus Nox posted:

As someone who thought RWBY was the junkiest of junk food, that bit about Monty telling people to do whatever creative thing they wanted, and if it's not good then whatever, at least you made something...that hits me as both :smith: and :unsmith:

I'm inspired enough by Arin and Ross' posts about him that I think I'm actually going to go back to writing and try creating this book I've always wanted to. Here's to you, Monty.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Aw, man...

Can't imagine how rough it's gonna be getting back into the swing of normal work after the last week and a half. At least it's over with, I guess. No more uncertainty. Waiting while he was in the coma must've been the worst loving thing in the world. Especially when trying to keep up appearances publicly.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Pleae forgive the sudden gear change here but I noticed earlier that (UK) Netflix now has both volumes available to stream. Unlike the Rooster Teeth and Crunchyroll streams though they are presented as effectively 2 feature length programs rather than a series. Not watched them yet to see how it works but they did the same thing for Red Vs Blue and that was fun but did get a bit uneven, but that may just be RvB's format giving it some really short episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Monty's obituary in the New York Times.

:smith: :unsmith:

• Locked thread