Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
RWBY isn't a very good show and from the like 4 episodes I watched, the thing I liked the most was yellow girl's shotgun knuckles. It just feels like Monty's animation program is horribly outdated and while it works well when people fight, it just looks weird when they talk with each other or just interact at all. Also I don't like that any character that isn't important is just a shade, it looks really, really stupid and I hope Monty put in more effort than that in later episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

This is unrelated to the rest of your post but I watched a bit of Fairy Tail and my reaction to it was very similar to how I felt about RWBY. I didn't care for the animation, I wanted all the characters to go away and the humor made me want to crush my own bones.

So in that sense, RWBY has successfully emulated what is apparently a popular anime for some loving reason

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I sort of like that dumb buttrock themesong but have no intention of ever watching the show. It just looks ugly. :shrug:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Carlioo posted:

RWBY isn't a very good show and from the like 4 episodes I watched, the thing I liked the most was yellow girl's shotgun knuckles. It just feels like Monty's animation program is horribly outdated and while it works well when people fight, it just looks weird when they talk with each other or just interact at all. Also I don't like that any character that isn't important is just a shade, it looks really, really stupid and I hope Monty put in more effort than that in later episodes.

That's because the animation program they use is Poser, which is not intended to be used for that. It's mainly for modeling, storyboarding and the like!

Srice fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Sep 9, 2014

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Srice posted:

That's because the animation program they use is Poser, which is not intended to be used for that. It's mainly for modeling, storyboarding and the like!

Poser is not for anything. I'm 90% sure it's a joke program that serves no purpose.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Hbomberguy posted:

Poser is not for anything. I'm 90% sure it's a joke program that serves no purpose.

I always thought it purpose was to allow anti-steam people to make terrible Garry's Mod style web comics.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

beaner69 posted:

Had rwby just been the trailers and more fighting I would have liked it. Maybe the game they're making will be that but I don't think I'll buy it.

Oh my god they're making a game? :allears:

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Yeah, a fan made a really barebones game where you were the scythe girl fighting the wolves, they hired him to finish making it.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

RWBY is what happens when a studio funds a fanime.

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009

The Devil Tesla posted:

Oh my god they're making a game? :allears:

Yeah. BTW I think WB is releasing rwby in Japan cuz apparently there was a lot of rwby doujinshi at comiket.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

beaner69 posted:

Yeah. BTW I think WB is releasing rwby in Japan cuz apparently there was a lot of rwby doujinshi at comiket.

this is popular in japan :psyduck:?

V well I would have thought that they have enough of this poo poo there, so I didn't think this poorly animated crap would gain a following.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 9, 2014

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Monaghan posted:

this is popular in japan :psyduck:?

Something that takes 90% of its inspiration from Japanese pop culture/action tropes is popular in Japan? Color me shocked.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

AlternateNu posted:

Something that takes 90% of its inspiration from Japanese pop culture/action tropes is popular in Japan? Color me shocked.

They didn't like Pacific Rim though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Zorak and Neeksy actually did a podcast explaining just why this poo poo is awful and bad and you should feel bad for liking it. Look up Animation Dissection.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Literally The Worst posted:

Zorak and Neeksy actually did a podcast explaining just why this poo poo is awful and bad and you should feel bad for liking it. Look up Animation Dissection.

but was dick spacious cpa on it?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

but was dick spacious cpa on it?

i hope not, he's a bit too into anime for me. its weird... :eyepop:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

This?
http://animationdissection.libsyn.com/case-001-rwby

lol

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Roosterteeth doesn't make money off this do they?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Roosterteeth probably is making bank off this, they're at a point where they are a genre considering they have their own con in a large building that rapidly fills up.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
At the very least, they made money selling the streaming rights to Crunchyroll.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Then maybe I, too, can make mad bank making a show with MMD.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I do enjoy this show's implication that anyone can make an anime.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames
I unironically enjoy this show and look forward to every thursday. If this means I have poo poo taste, so be it.

Pretty glad they didn't go all in on prom shenanigans. I went into the most recent episode expecting rooster teeth to take the low hanging fruit but instead I got yang/ruby backstory and a well scripted conversation between yang and blake.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

KasaiAisu posted:

well scripted conversation

Yeah, about that...

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Might as well post the other one they link.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

unpronounceable posted:

Might as well post the other one they link.

Needs Cookie Monster omnomomnom sound effects.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

KasaiAisu posted:

"Did you steal my binder?"
"I am not a crook" *poses like Nixon*

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I will never listen to zorak's podcast, please do not advocate it.

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Hbomberguy posted:

KasaiAisu posted:

"Did you steal my binder?"
"I am not a crook" *poses like Nixon*

OK... that quote was terrible, truly it was. But it's not from the script he was talking about.

KasaiAisu posted:

instead I got yang/ruby backstory and a well scripted conversation between yang and blake.

Some of the timing and visuals from that scene were off (Yang going slight-saiyan and shoving Blake just didn't have the impact that they should have pulled off), but the conversation was solid. And it started off with the laser pointer, so bonus points to Yang all around.

Ferretts fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Sep 11, 2014

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames

KasaiAisu posted:

Pretty glad they didn't go all in on prom shenanigans.
(ep7)
mmm oh man these words are delicious hey anyone want to try some?

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Well that was a thing. Let's see...

Hold
My
Punch
A point there for Ruby.

And one for Penny breaking it down (requesting gif)

Plus two for Jaune for miraculously ceasing to suck rear end.
Also for this. Granted I really should have seen it coming... and what is going on with his forearms?

And team JNPR takes the win at halftime (definitely needs a gif).

So RWBY knocks off para (was that para...para?) from their lengthy anime inspiration list.
At some point I expect them to start collecting and training rare Grimm beasts to fight in their tournament and reveal that Nora is Ren's cousin or sister-not-related-by-blood.

And now after typing that out... I sincerely hope it happens.

Ferretts fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 12, 2014

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

KasaiAisu posted:

(ep7)
mmm oh man these words are delicious hey anyone want to try some?

Do we really have to spoiler this poo poo?

A loving dance number? It was the best joke in the entire drat series and I don't think that was intentional.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I eagerly await the next piece of trash put out by a man who refuses to upgrade Poser and when RT did it for him he begged them to downgrade it. Also he's bad at his job.

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale

I was in that podcast too! And I made the Yang running gif.

But yeah, Monty is someone who got very very good at doing one thing, and was then asked to do many other things that he wasn't trained for. I think he did eventually upgrade his animation tech, since the show is basically sponsored by the newest copy of Poser, but his reluctance to update made it seem like he was afraid of being exposed as a one trick pony.

He is also a 30 year old high school drop out who regularly wears anime wigs and plays DDR religiously but that probably has nothing to do with RWBY.

For what it's worth, I think the beginning of season 2 was a step in the right direction, but it's still a long way behind being the show that people believe it to be. And as a reminder, this just won 2 awards at the Streamy's, beating Pendleton Ward's Bravest Warriors for Best Animated Show, and winning Best Original Score.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

For what it's worth, I think the beginning of season 2 was a step in the right direction, but it's still a long way behind being the show that people believe it to be. And as a reminder, this just won 2 awards at the Streamy's, beating Pendleton Ward's Bravest Warriors for Best Animated Show, and winning Best Original Score.

:psyboom:

I mean, I'm not a particularly big fan of Pendleton Ward, but.....just.......

wow

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Every time I remember they have a monkey man based on Sun Wukong and just straight up named him Sun Wukong, a little part of me wants to kick something.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 6, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
From what I remember when I used to follow roosterteeth, Monty has some kind of OCD about efficiency. Something about upgrading will add an extra process that will slow him down or some poo poo.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

RWBY is a guilty pleasure of mine. It's certainly not 'good' by any standard, but I like the ambition Monty has and for the budget he has to work with I think it's a pretty decent effort. It's certainly no worse than 90% of the shonen-schlock and moe-blobs that pervade anime at the moment and considering we are 6100 posts into the 17th Naruto thread lets not pretend anyone around here actually has good taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

If anything gives me hope for the future, it's the fact that RWBY can win awards.

• Locked thread