Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
If you like RWBY you might want to consider watching Soul Eater instead. It's also garbage for twelve year olds but it has much better animation and character design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
If I had to say why I watch this, it would probably be because I see it and go "Why not" and just space out for like 10 minutes because I have literally nothing else to do at the time. It's in that awkward spot where it sees what it wants to be but doesn't know it can't get there. I guess I'm watching it to see if it ever gets out of the growing pains stage. I dunno, I make poor life choices in general. :shrug:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Honestly, one thing I really enjoy about RWBY is that its popularity in Japan pretty much paved the way for amateur doujin makers to essentially create their own shows with MMD. It might not look that great, but creativity should be applauded where it exists. There's a ton of potential there.

But this is the best thing to come out of RWBY: http://store.roosterteeth.com/products/rwby-weiss-plush LOOK AT IT.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

why is RWBY pronounced ruby?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Zahki posted:

RWBY is a guilty pleasure of mine. It's certainly not 'good' by any standard, but I like the ambition Monty has and for the budget he has to work with I think it's a pretty decent effort. It's certainly no worse than 90% of the shonen-schlock and moe-blobs that pervade anime at the moment and considering we are 6100 posts into the 17th Naruto thread lets not pretend anyone around here actually has good taste.

He actually has a pretty decent budget because Rooster Teeth has been doing stuff for a long time now! It'd probably look good if he used something other than Poser (holy lol at the comment on the last page about how he whined about an upgrade. Poser is bad enough, but an obsolete version? Goddamn).

Also even with all of Naruto's faults, at least Naruto can manage the bare minimum acceptable level of characterization. Literally all of RWBY's characters are one dimensional, defined entirely with the formula of "personality trait + random quirk" and they never want to go beyond that, because they are the sort of characters that feel like they're meant to appeal to the fanfiction crowd.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I watched a couple episodes and couldn't get into it at all. I thought it was just me. Judging by this thread though I guess it isn't.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

RWBY ain't for everyone. It's also free, in English, and in, like, 10 minute increments, so it's really easy to just turn it on and turn your brain off without feeling any loss. It has some neat things going for it, but it's the end-all, be-all of absolutely nothing. Music's pretty awesome, though.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Takoluka posted:

Music's pretty awesome, though.

I have to agree on this one. I'm listening to the some more of the soundtrack and I'll give credit where credit's due, its pretty drat catchy.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Takoluka posted:

it's really easy to just turn it on and turn your brain off

If you allow yourself to become an empty vessel, free of thought or opinion or mind or soul, RWBY is technically something you can sit in front of for ten whole minutes at a time!

Available now on Crunchyroll.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Takoluka posted:

RWBY ain't for everyone. It's also free, in English, and in, like, 10 minute increments, so it's really easy to just turn it on and turn your brain off without feeling any loss.

Except for the loss of self-respect that comes from mindlessly consuming drivel.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Literally The Worst posted:

Except for the loss of self-respect that comes from mindlessly consuming drivel.

We watch anime. This is not a new experience.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think the only anime I've ever seen that has been a worse experience than RWBY has been Mahouka.

And even then it basically "wins" because of the episode length being longer. Though I'm not sure what is worse, Mahouka's far right-wing messages about how the poor and oppressed are actually lovely people that should be crushed, or RWBY's child edutainment-esque moralizing about how racism is actually bad instead of good. Seriously, that stuff makes the anti-racism messages in the Tales of- games look subtle. It's condescending as all hell and it's made even funnier by the fact that there is exactly one animal person who isn't evil and/or a thief.

Srice fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 12, 2014

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Srice posted:

Literally all of RWBY's characters are one dimensional, defined entirely with the formula of "personality trait + random quirk" and they never want to go beyond that, because they are the sort of characters that feel like they're meant to appeal to the fanfiction crowd.

kidcoelacanth posted:

I do quite enjoy the fight scenes because they are a hell of a spectacle

HMS Boromir was right. RWBY is copying Fairy Tail. No wonder Michael Jones got hired for Fairy Tail.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Srice posted:

I think the only anime I've ever seen that has been a worse experience than RWBY has been Mahouka.

And even then it basically "wins" because of the episode length being longer. Though I'm not sure what is worse, Mahouka's far right-wing messages about how the poor and oppressed are actually lovely people that should be crushed, or RWBY's child edutainment-esque moralizing about how racism is actually bad instead of good. Seriously, that stuff makes the anti-racism messages in the Tales of- games look subtle. It's condescending as all hell and it's made even funnier by the fact that there is exactly one animal person who isn't evil and/or a thief.

Mahouka is far worse. Like that's not even a comparison. RWBY's episodes are short, so even when it's being really bad, at least it doesn't last for long. Mahouka wallows in itself for episodes at a time. Also Mahouka has Miyuki while RWBY does not.
And RWBY's fight scenes are creative and cool, whereas Mahouka has none.

Kuroyama posted:

HMS Boromir was right. RWBY is copying Fairy Tail. No wonder Michael Jones got hired for Fairy Tail.

I mean it's an action show geared towards teenagers. It's inevitable the two shows would have overlapping ideas. You might as well be accusing it of ripping off Harry Potter.

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

RWBY is like Mai-Hime and Elfen Lied. There were plenty of very irritating issues with both that could have kept me from enjoying them. But I stomached the problems, focused on what they did well and was plenty paid off for it. I'm admittedly biasing myself because I went in wanting to like RWBY, but it's already paying off with characters that are seeming more fun and real as they interact (Weiss and Jaune don't suck anymore).

I'm not sure it should be winning any awards though...

Takoluka posted:

It might not look that great, but creativity should be applauded where it exists. There's a ton of potential there.
It's like finding that youtube channel from a guy that produces music about Starcraft commentators and Disgaea. Sure it might be lame and rough around the edges, but it's also odd and creative and the kind of thing I want to encourage. And maybe I'll even pay $2 on Bandcamp to help out...

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

Mahouka is far worse. Like that's not even a comparison. RWBY's episodes are short, so even when it's being really bad, at least it doesn't last for long. Mahouka wallows in itself for episodes at a time. Also Mahouka has Miyuki while RWBY does not.
And RWBY's fight scenes are creative and cool, whereas Mahouka has none.

I mean it's an action show geared towards teenagers. It's inevitable the two shows would have overlapping ideas. You might as well be accusing it of ripping off Harry Potter.

Iunno the fight scenes just come off as..really overacted, if that makes sense? They're more concerned about poses than actually giving weight to any of their actions.

To me it's about as "cool" as watching LARPers.

Also with the comment about it "having potential" kinda rubs me the wrong way since you'd have to look harder to find premises with zero potential! A good execution can carry the lousiest of ideas, and this is a cliched but proven premise executed in the most hamfisted way possible.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The show wins awards because Roosterteeth is the biggest, most powerful thing in the industry of nerdom. It is probably bigger than the actual reward shows it wins, of course it'd win awards on sheer inertia.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I've been debating on and off now about starting a thread that would've been even more downplaying and apologetic but I am now pretty relieved OP did it instead, you're a brave man sir! :)

I also unironically like it, recognize its faults particularly in season 1, and agree its very likely in the guilty pleasure territory but for me it does enough things right or cool that I can let it go and not have it bother me.

I'm also a huge RoosterTeeth fan and especially so after I discovered the Achievement Hunter Lets Plays so I must admit that some part of me might just be watching it for Lindsay and Michael.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Hbomberguy posted:

If you allow yourself to become an empty vessel, free of thought or opinion or mind or soul, RWBY is technically something you can sit in front of for ten whole minutes at a time!

Available now on Crunchyroll.

They should use this for the catch-quote of their next DVD release.

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

I've been debating on and off now about starting a thread that would've been even more downplaying and apologetic but I am now pretty relieved OP did it instead, you're a brave man sir! :)

Yes. Tempered in the ridicule of 300+ navy submariners for being the only guy to watch My Little Pony. At least here RWBY deserves it, while MLP of course... did not. :colbert:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ferretts posted:

Yes. Tempered in the ridicule of 300+ navy submariners for being the only guy to watch My Little Pony. At least here RWBY deserves it, while MLP of course... did not. :colbert:

Dude. You can't be into that wack-rear end brony poo poo when you're dealing with bubbleheads. You gotta do something to bond with your shipmates, strengthening feelings of competition and camaraderie, like playing Pokemon. :v:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Dude. You can't be into that wack-rear end brony poo poo when you're dealing with bubbleheads. You gotta do something to bond with your shipmates, strengthening feelings of competition and camaraderie, like playing Pokemon. :v:

Or watching moe anime!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 6, 2014

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

All that, and where's your medal?

for shame, Obama

In retrospect, that does read way more pathetic than intended...

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Confirm/Deny: People who like RWBY like it moreso as a catalyst for erotic fanfiction/fanart than for anything the show itself does.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Confirm/Deny: People who like RWBY like it moreso as a catalyst for erotic fanfiction than for anything the show itself does.

Confirm. Ruby x Weiss OTP.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

On a more serious note, there's a lot of cringe in this show but I still tune in every so often because I kinda like what they do with the fight scenes whenever they finally get around to them. gently caress you, that guy has a quarterstaff that turns into a pair of nun-chucks that themselves each turn into a pair of flintlock pistols and I cannot not get a kick out of poo poo like that.

It is a little odd they don't have more fights though, I mean the show sells itself pretty much explicitly on shipping and being animated by the guy who has literally nothing to his name BESIDES some pretty fun fight animations.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Fight scenes take longer to animate than episodes full of the characters all using the same clunky walk cycle.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Spiritus Nox posted:

Confirm/Deny: People who like RWBY like it moreso as a catalyst for erotic fanfiction/fanart than for anything the show itself does.

Confirm. The show is already fanfiction, but to an entire medium. You need a lot of imagination to like the show - you have to be watching it and going 'wouldn't it be interesting if something good was happening?'

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Yeah in that way RWBY exists entirely to have the viewers project themselves onto it. It does world building just enough to give a framework for character creation, but not enough to give it specificity and narrative purpose. Hell, Monty wrote a freakin' guide on how to name characters and generate team names so fans could do that.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
RWBY is very similar to Homestuck in that it exists as a template for character creation, shipping, and fanworks. Everything makes sense when you think about it along those lines.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Ferretts posted:

In retrospect, that does read way more pathetic than intended...

with all things navy being their "ponyboy" is more homoerotic than pathetic

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

Ferretts posted:

lololol wait what

what, was this at subschool or some poo poo, because either you had no ITS or no weird rear end nukes, because lord knows I knew some people who watched/do watch mlp (why I don't get it but I watch ~anime~ so I can't judge). You must be a goony kid or some poo poo.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

For what it's worth, I think the beginning of season 2 was a step in the right direction, but it's still a long way behind being the show that people believe it to be. And as a reminder, this just won 2 awards at the Streamy's, beating Pendleton Ward's Bravest Warriors for Best Animated Show, and winning Best Original Score.

What. The. gently caress.

HMS Boromir posted:

If you like RWBY you might want to consider watching Soul Eater instead. It's also garbage for twelve year olds but it has much better animation and character design.
The characters themselves actually have personalities, and can hold conversations that don't sound like ET trying to communicate with a child with down syndrome.

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale

HiveCommander posted:

What. The. gently caress.

Yeah, it beat Bravest Warriors and Simon's Cat, among others. I think someone hit it on the head when they said that it basically only won because of Rooster Teeth's popularity. Based on that and Video Game High School winning a bunch of awards, it's not exactly winning awards based on quality, but based on how much hype it has.

Monty is interesting. I was actually a fan of his for a long time, up to when RWBY was released. After it came out, I realized that he was really just a guy who never grew out of his high school mentality, and made a living doing pretty fight scenes. I guess that I respect that he is doing what he loves and that its commercially successful, despite it's faults, but the fact that it's winning awards over shows that have actual effort put into them is kind of lovely.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I don't think this has been posted so I'm going to post it. Advice on how to make your OWN RWBY team! Oh boy~~

https://twitter.com/montyoum/status/406894139746172928

The gist is if it's a color, use that.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

HMS Boromir posted:

Unless you've already watched Soul Eater and need more and newer content. :)

quote:

but the fact that it's winning awards over shows that have actual effort put into them is kind of lovely

This is kind of weird, its not like RWBY is the "expensive private school team" winning over the plucky underdogs with a shoe string budget.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's the equivalent of the Simpsons always winning the Animation awards because no one wants to be the guy that said King of the Hill or whatever is better to the masses.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Tae posted:

It's the equivalent of the Simpsons always winning the Animation awards because no one wants to be the guy that said King of the Hill or whatever is better to the masses.

Maybe if the Simpsons consisted entirely of the "man hit in groin with football" clip, for 20 seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Good Listener posted:

I don't think this has been posted so I'm going to post it. Advice on how to make your OWN RWBY team! Oh boy~~

https://twitter.com/montyoum/status/406894139746172928

The gist is if it's a color, use that.

The best part about this is the revelation that he spent "countless hours" naming his characters.

Yeah.

Also the fact that he's going to hold a contest to put fanfiction characters into the show itself just proves that the target audience are the type of people that read and write fanfiction.

• Locked thread