Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I both hate this show and have got to give props to this guy for following his dream and making an animated series with few resources that has attracted a considerable fanbase.

The fact that it is animated in Poser or that he thought that reversing the normals on the characters was the only way to get black outlines like in anime is so strange though. They use Maya to actually model the characters, and there's a feature in Maya for rendering toon lines. And he could make way way better rigs in Maya using biped auto-riggers.

But no, they went with Poser, so characters slide around and hands can't really stick to objects, and the background rendering looks super flat. It's like an animated version of a teenager's webcomic. But, in a way, that's kinda charming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Unless you've already watched Soul Eater and need more and newer content. :)

This is kind of weird, its not like RWBY is the "expensive private school team" winning over the plucky underdogs with a shoe string budget.
You could always watch the rest of the crappy shounen series aimed at 12 year olds. It's not like there's a shortage of them!
Fairy Tail is another substitute.

It's kinda funny that RWBY is trying to replicate shounen so much, yet it's not even winning awards because of determination, guts and fighting spirit at all. If RWBY was a character in a shounen, it would no doubt be the edgy douchebag rival of the main character.

Srice posted:

Also the fact that he's going to hold a contest to put fanfiction characters into the show itself just proves that the target audience are the type of people that read and write fanfiction.
Also, this.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Ccs posted:

I both hate this show and have got to give props to this guy for following his dream and making an animated series with few resources that has attracted a considerable fanbase.

The fact that it is animated in Poser or that he thought that reversing the normals on the characters was the only way to get black outlines like in anime is so strange though. They use Maya to actually model the characters, and there's a feature in Maya for rendering toon lines. And he could make way way better rigs in Maya using biped auto-riggers.

But no, they went with Poser, so characters slide around and hands can't really stick to objects, and the background rendering looks super flat. It's like an animated version of a teenager's webcomic. But, in a way, that's kinda charming.

See, I could look at it as being someone who "followed their dream" and tried to produce something that wouldn't normally get the chance to be made, but the result is not interesting conceptually or in terms of writing. This isn't some kind of blacklist script that was considered too ambitious or arthouse for mainstream production. It is the most generic, bare-bones warmed-over saturday morning cartoon-structure combined with subpar visuals, crippled further by production design/pipeline decisions that make no goddamn sense.

I feel like more effort and thought was put into everything around the show, the world, the character designs and commissioned digital painted portraits, the merch, the fan character inserts, etc. than was actually put into making the show as compelling as it clearly wants to be.

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

Good Listener posted:

I don't think this has been posted so I'm going to post it. Advice on how to make your OWN RWBY team! Oh boy~~

https://twitter.com/montyoum/status/406894139746172928

The gist is if it's a color, use that.

Is there any in universe reason for this or is it just ~because~

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

rainy day posted:

Because even the recent slew of apocalyptic YA novels have some kind of personality quiz or vague narrative mechanism for separating the characters into castes.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Neeksy posted:

Because even the recent slew of apocalyptic YA novels have some kind of personality quiz or vague narrative mechanism for separating the characters into castes.
Could be something to do with that trope that anime references a hell of a lot but doesn't actually do anymore, where heroes are given colours. Red is always the leader, that sort of thing.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

rainy day posted:

I assume that the academy they all go to is just set on doing this one naming convention because how else would they get code names for teams?

Also I haven't seen this since my viewings of season 1 so I'll ask someone who is watching season 2. Have the monster grimm things actually attacked anyone or are they still going out to random forests and just attacking animal beasts in their natural habitat? Giant scorpion and Giant crow RIP.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Good Listener posted:

I assume that the academy they all go to is just set on doing this one naming convention because how else would they get code names for teams?

Also I haven't seen this since my viewings of season 1 so I'll ask someone who is watching season 2. Have the monster grimm things actually attacked anyone or are they still going out to random forests and just attacking animal beasts in their natural habitat? Giant scorpion and Giant crow RIP.

They've done absolutely no monster fighting. Giant Scorpion and Giant Crow's sacrifices were in vain.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Good Listener posted:

So far the only things they've beaten up are a giant mech, some watermelons, a few cooked turkeys, and some loaves of french bread.

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale

The Bee posted:

They've done absolutely no monster fighting. Giant Scorpion and Giant Crow's sacrifices were in vain.

This actually is a great example of one of their main problems of world building vs story telling, or possibly say vs do. There is both the opening of the series, with it's little monologue on what Grimms are in the world (the embodiment of evil and absolute monsters or some poo poo) and some monologues and lessons from teachers talking about how dangerous they are. Despite everything they SAY, the actual Grimms are never shown to be dangerous at all. Even during a scene which is supposed to show how dangerous they are (one of the classroom scenes where one of them fight a Grimm), the only reason they lose is because they are being distracted.

On top of that, as Zorak pointed out in the podcast, the Grimms NEVER actually attack them actively. They are shown to be very passive, and only ever attack when, in a real world situation, an animal would be threatened, like when someone enters their territory in the forest, or when a captured one is released inside a room of obviously hostile people. It seems like the exact thing where Monty went "Wouldn't it be cool if there was some big monster type for the heroes to fight?" and that ended up being the beginning and ending for the Grimms.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

This actually is a great example of one of their main problems of world building vs story telling, or possibly say vs do. There is both the opening of the series, with it's little monologue on what Grimms are in the world (the embodiment of evil and absolute monsters or some poo poo) and some monologues and lessons from teachers talking about how dangerous they are. Despite everything they SAY, the actual Grimms are never shown to be dangerous at all. Even during a scene which is supposed to show how dangerous they are (one of the classroom scenes where one of them fight a Grimm), the only reason they lose is because they are being distracted.

On top of that, as Zorak pointed out in the podcast, the Grimms NEVER actually attack them actively. They are shown to be very passive, and only ever attack when, in a real world situation, an animal would be threatened, like when someone enters their territory in the forest, or when a captured one is released inside a room of obviously hostile people. It seems like the exact thing where Monty went "Wouldn't it be cool if there was some big monster type for the heroes to fight?" and that ended up being the beginning and ending for the Grimms.

Case in point; I completely forgot what the monsters were called until I read this post.

And since everyone is (rightfully) making GBS threads on the series, I have to say that I actually like Torchwick's VA. Guy has just the right amount of smugness, and the lines he's given are only slightly more cringe-worthy than what you would expect from a classic middle-management bad guy.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

The whole series seems to be founded on "wouldn't it be cool if-" Which is a shame, because a lot of these ideas WOULD be cool, if. In this case, cool if tied together with more cohesion and originality, and more competent execution.

Its honestly bit confusing. Rooster Teeth has been in the voice acting game for a long while, the music's good, a lot of the underlying ideas are good. What happened?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

The Bee posted:

The whole series seems to be founded on "wouldn't it be cool if-" Which is a shame, because a lot of these ideas WOULD be cool, if. In this case, cool if tied together with more cohesion and originality, and more competent execution.

Its honestly bit confusing. Rooster Teeth has been in the voice acting game for a long while, the music's good, a lot of the underlying ideas are good. What happened?

Are the underlying ideas all that good? I mean, maybe they were good in the original things it borrows from, Naruto, Soul Eater, etc. but there isn't anything really all that groundbreaking or interesting going on in it.

Even if it had some kind of interesting premise, the format and structure of the writing is very US american kid's adventure show in how it handles conflict and plot progression. Biggest example being the "uh oh misunderstandings, a bully is blackmailing me and I stand up to them only when they want me to hurt my friends" plotline, something you would have seen in a show like "As Told by Ginger", but now they have swords that are also guns.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Neeksy posted:

Even if it had some kind of interesting premise, the format and structure of the writing is very US american kid's adventure show in how it handles conflict and plot progression. Biggest example being the "uh oh misunderstandings, a bully is blackmailing me and I stand up to them only when they want me to hurt my friends" plotline, something you would have seen in a show like "As Told by Ginger", but now they have swords that are also guns.

That frankly sounds fine to me, especially that last part. I wasn't really expecting anything other than that. The show's main problem, animation aside, is that the quality of the writing dips below that bar.
Tell me how I'm responsible for the death of good taste.

kazakirinyancat
Sep 8, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Case in point; I completely forgot what the monsters were called until I read this post.

And since everyone is (rightfully) making GBS threads on the series, I have to say that I actually like Torchwick's VA. Guy has just the right amount of smugness, and the lines he's given are only slightly more cringe-worthy than what you would expect from a classic middle-management bad guy.

Torchwick's crew is the only reason I watch. Whatever he's doing is a lot more interesting than whatever else is going on. When I noticed that his character design was ripped off of A Clockwork Orange I was honestly surprised. I never thought Monty would bother to watch something like that.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I watched a thing where the guy in charge of it all (Monty?) said that before doing anything they basically got a list of anims and watched them all so it's not suprising this is derivative.

E: They were also coming up with ideas for characters for season three before season 1 even started production, it's very much a "wouldn't this be cool if...." anim.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Sep 16, 2014

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Namtab posted:

I watched a thing where the guy in charge of it all (Monty?) said that before doing anything they basically got a list of anims and watched them all so it's not suprising this is derivative.

E: They were also coming up with ideas for characters for season three before season 1 even started production, it's very much a "wouldn't this be cool if...." anim.

I still would like to see this list they used for finalizing the show. I mean, you can kinda tell where they get some of the stuff but I've been interested at least to see what all got looked at beforehand.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Neeksy posted:

Are the underlying ideas all that good? I mean, maybe they were good in the original things it borrows from, Naruto, Soul Eater, etc. but there isn't anything really all that groundbreaking or interesting going on in it.

"Good ideas" and a "good premise" aren't worth poo poo if your execution is completely inept, basically.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Man, I just wish RWBY had been a video game from the start; basically, DMC/Bayonetta meets Dynasty Warriors.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Takoluka posted:

Man, I just wish RWBY had been a video game from the start; basically, DMC/Bayonetta meets Dynasty Warriors.

So DMC4 in Legendary Dark Knight mode?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Good Listener posted:

I still would like to see this list they used for finalizing the show. I mean, you can kinda tell where they get some of the stuff but I've been interested at least to see what all got looked at beforehand.

Zorak mentions in his podcast that the personal Youtube accounts / MAL account of the creators are filled with Bleach videos, among others

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I am honestly willing to forgive most things when a show gives its main character a transforming gun scythe. It would have been better as a fighting game than as a TV show but I'll probably continue watching until either the fight scenes come less frequently than once every few episodes or the jokes stop being funny. It helps that it looks like a PS2-era JRPG and I've played enough of those to be ok with that.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

or the jokes stop being funny.

You can't stop what never started.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

I am honestly willing to forgive most things when a show gives its main character a transforming gun scythe.

Just watch Soul Eater, it's waaaay better.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Plus the scythes in that show are also anime boys instead of guns so it's a strict upgrade.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
The scythe in Soul Eater literally has more personality than the cast of RWBY

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Redcrimson posted:

Both Scythes.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

HiveCommander posted:

You could always watch the rest of the crappy shounen series aimed at 12 year olds. It's not like there's a shortage of them!
Fairy Tail is another substitute.

You make this sound like I haven't already done so. :D

The whole "I don't like the show you like so I'm going to suggest shows you probably also like and probably also watched when you already have a show you like and already watching." premise is one you might wanna rethink. Hey lets recommend Legend of Korra next as something anime inspired that I also likely already watched. ;)

Although I second the bafflement in why they don't just use Blender for animating this, like with the Touhou 3D videos, which look gorgeous.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

SALT CURES HAM posted:

So is Soul Eater good, or does it just enjoy the virtue of not being RWBY?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

The whole "I don't like the show you like so I'm going to suggest shows you probably also like and probably also watched when you already have a show you like and already watching." premise is one you might wanna rethink. Hey lets recommend Legend of Korra next as something anime inspired that I also likely already watched. ;)
I'm just saying that there's a ton of shows that do what RWBT tries to do, but with far better execution, far better characters and far better animation.

Butt Ghost posted:

It's honestly not too bad, the characters have a fair few quirks as well. By that, I mean more quirky than a Sun Wukong spin-off character that's creatively named Sun Wukong :v:

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Butt Ghost posted:

Genuinely quite good, at least as far as Battle Shounen goes.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Redcrimson posted:

Yes, even the one whose character is "I am the single father of the protagonist and also am a womanizer."

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Although I second the bafflement in why they don't just use Blender for animating this, like with the Touhou 3D videos, which look gorgeous.

Because Monty learned to animate with Poser and is forcing the entire team of animators they have employed to use it as well so he can continue to contribute to the animation process without Burnie seeing that he's actually wildly incompetent at animating.

He may or may not also be autistic because when RT upgraded their copies of Poser he flipped his poo poo and by Burnie's own recounting of the story literally begged for them to revert the changes because the old version was what he was used to and apparently wasn't capable of learning how to use the new features and layout.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Angry Walrus posted:

He may or may not also be autistic because when RT upgraded their copies of Poser he flipped his poo poo and by Burnie's own recounting of the story literally begged for them to revert the changes because the old version was what he was used to and apparently wasn't capable of learning how to use the new features and layout. he made a 30 minute long Final Fantasy vs Dead or Alive snuff movie

Seriously, we do not need to scavenge for evidence from Internet gossip when it's staring us in the face.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Tunahead posted:

Seriously, we do not need to scavenge for evidence from Internet gossip when it's staring us in the face.

He writes human interaction like an autistic person would, or maybe like someone whose only understanding of human behavior was watching Full House and Bleach.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Neeksy posted:

He writes human interaction like an autistic person would, or maybe like someone whose only understanding of human behavior was watching Full House and Bleach.

Do you think that's why he did Dead Fantasy with Kasumi as a starring character? I mean she's the most bland character in possibly the entire history of fiction. Her entire "motivation" in the DoA series is that someone cloned her and now she's going to fight the clone because the plot demands it. She doesn't feel angry or sad or happy or even resigned about it. She doesn't feel any way about anything, period. She just stares vacantly into the middle distance while not thinking about her life goals which don't exist until it's time to fight Kasumi Alpha/Omega/Sigma/Whatever. Also I apologize for spoiling the central plot of Dead Or Alive 6 - 20 in the previous sentence.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Neeksy posted:

He doesn't do the writing though. That's Miles and Kerry. Miles is really surprising because he's a fun and charismatic guy that acts like a functioning human being. Kerry's a bit of a weird fucker though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Miles started writing the last couple of seasons which was when I started watching rvb weekly again because they went to actual dialogue stuff instead of 90% action porn.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Butt Ghost posted:

It's pretty good, yeah. Not my favorite shonen but probably the closest thing to RWBY that doesn't suck nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Angry Walrus posted:

He may or may not also be autistic because when RT upgraded their copies of Poser he flipped his poo poo and by Burnie's own recounting of the story literally begged for them to revert the changes because the old version was what he was used to and apparently wasn't capable of learning how to use the new features and layout.

Please link this.

• Locked thread