Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Hbomberguy posted:

If you allow yourself to become an empty vessel, free of thought or opinion or mind or soul, RWBY is technically something you can sit in front of for ten whole minutes at a time!

Available now on Crunchyroll.

They should use this for the catch-quote of their next DVD release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah in that way RWBY exists entirely to have the viewers project themselves onto it. It does world building just enough to give a framework for character creation, but not enough to give it specificity and narrative purpose. Hell, Monty wrote a freakin' guide on how to name characters and generate team names so fans could do that.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Ccs posted:

I both hate this show and have got to give props to this guy for following his dream and making an animated series with few resources that has attracted a considerable fanbase.

The fact that it is animated in Poser or that he thought that reversing the normals on the characters was the only way to get black outlines like in anime is so strange though. They use Maya to actually model the characters, and there's a feature in Maya for rendering toon lines. And he could make way way better rigs in Maya using biped auto-riggers.

But no, they went with Poser, so characters slide around and hands can't really stick to objects, and the background rendering looks super flat. It's like an animated version of a teenager's webcomic. But, in a way, that's kinda charming.

See, I could look at it as being someone who "followed their dream" and tried to produce something that wouldn't normally get the chance to be made, but the result is not interesting conceptually or in terms of writing. This isn't some kind of blacklist script that was considered too ambitious or arthouse for mainstream production. It is the most generic, bare-bones warmed-over saturday morning cartoon-structure combined with subpar visuals, crippled further by production design/pipeline decisions that make no goddamn sense.

I feel like more effort and thought was put into everything around the show, the world, the character designs and commissioned digital painted portraits, the merch, the fan character inserts, etc. than was actually put into making the show as compelling as it clearly wants to be.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

rainy day posted:

Is there any in universe reason for this or is it just ~because~

Because even the recent slew of apocalyptic YA novels have some kind of personality quiz or vague narrative mechanism for separating the characters into castes.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

The Bee posted:

The whole series seems to be founded on "wouldn't it be cool if-" Which is a shame, because a lot of these ideas WOULD be cool, if. In this case, cool if tied together with more cohesion and originality, and more competent execution.

Its honestly bit confusing. Rooster Teeth has been in the voice acting game for a long while, the music's good, a lot of the underlying ideas are good. What happened?

Are the underlying ideas all that good? I mean, maybe they were good in the original things it borrows from, Naruto, Soul Eater, etc. but there isn't anything really all that groundbreaking or interesting going on in it.

Even if it had some kind of interesting premise, the format and structure of the writing is very US american kid's adventure show in how it handles conflict and plot progression. Biggest example being the "uh oh misunderstandings, a bully is blackmailing me and I stand up to them only when they want me to hurt my friends" plotline, something you would have seen in a show like "As Told by Ginger", but now they have swords that are also guns.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

or the jokes stop being funny.

You can't stop what never started.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Tunahead posted:

Seriously, we do not need to scavenge for evidence from Internet gossip when it's staring us in the face.

He writes human interaction like an autistic person would, or maybe like someone whose only understanding of human behavior was watching Full House and Bleach.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

It's not so much that Poser is bad, it's just that its use is limited to pre-visualization. What other CG productions would be using to make simple rough drafts before committing to final animation, RWBY is using for its final draft. Essentially what they're doing is showing us an animatic and pretending it's a finished product.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I had no idea that it wasn't even a final rendering that they were using, but that explains both the lack of any kind of lighting and the time they left anchors visible in the hand eating the cookies.

So it's even worse than I thought. Jesus.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I don't exactly see what was subtle about it.

Also they have both human ears and animal ears at the same time, which is… odd.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

What I find more interesting (and funny) is the absolutely bonkers production pipeline and just awful production design for something that actually has a staff and funding behind it. This isn't some pure art house independent person putting his soul out there, this is a product that he was paid money to produce and the results even just on a mechanical level are ridiculous.

Okay, it might be going too far to cast aspersions of Monty's character from just a data point about his keyboard or Poser downgrade. But what can be said is that someone who has made the consistently bad decisions regarding even using Poser or not actually rendering anything or never implementing basic lighting effects, etc. is a person who should not have been given the keys to a production.

However, despite all this, and just the creative bankruptcy of the property itself, it's been successful. Not artistically, nor culturally, but in the way that counts for RoosterTeeth: economically.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

And again, I can't stress this enough, the dude is PAID to make this. He is given money with the expectation to put out a decent product, and this is what comes out. I'd be way more forgiving if it really was just this one dude trying to make something he liked; the fact that it's being sold to the public as if it's remotely up to par is what makes it ripe for tearing apart.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

So Monty Oum is the anime fandom's markedly less-charismatic Kevin Smith?

The thing about the visuals is that the show basically sells itself entirely on that premise. The pretty artwork they get commissioned for promo materials, Monty's previous work being just a prolonged fight scene that never ends with even less plot than a SNES street fighter game, and even fans defending it by saying "well I watch it for the cool fights" which last season only made up maybe less than a quarter of the content at best. Even the aspect of the show that is supposedly its entire selling point is a failure. Software aside, things like having hands clipping through clothes or objects is just laziness, you can just change the path of animation and poses when you see that problem, but they don't bother.

For a while I wasn't sure if RWBY was a cynical "people will eat it up who gives a poo poo haha" cash grab, or incompetent fanboyism given the reins of production. And honestly I still have trouble deciding.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

So, animation aside. The acting and writing are pretty drat subpar. I guess we can't blame those two things on Monty Oum, right? Because I think there are three people writing this show.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Endorph posted:

'things that make you think of colors'

come on step it up

So literally anything, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

You have to really write and perform that kind of thing carefully, rather than just making a wordy paragraph and shove it in front of someone and ask them to perform it quickly and expect to have it sound organic.

• Locked thread