Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Might also be a legal thing where they just aren't allowed to disclose anything even if they want to.

Given how much of a workaholic he was, I wouldn't be shocked if it was an unchecked blood clot triggering a giant stroke or something to that effect. That'd count as a medical emergency, leave him in 'critical' condition, and they wouldn't know if he'd recover from it. He basically sat in his chair around the clock, right?

Ross and Arin of Game Grumps flew out to Texas during the weekend and the photos posted seem pretty silly. I'm hoping that's because Monty's getting better and not because they're just trying to keep their spirits up. If his condition was getting worse, you'd figure the rest of the Grumps crew would've gone down, too.

Having no news at all is awful. Just hearing 'yo, he's not going to die' would be nice at this point. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well gently caress.

quote:

Our friend, inspiration and co-worker Monty Oum passed away yesterday afternoon at 4:34 PM surrounded by people who loved him very much. Ten days ago Monty suffered a severe allergic reaction during a simple medical procedure that left him in a coma. Although he fought bravely, his body was not able to recover. During his time in the hospital he was well cared for and never in pain at any time.

Monty is survived by his wife Sheena, his father Mony, his brothers Woody, Sey, Chivy and Neat, and his sisters Thea and Theary, as well as a countless number of fans and friends. We were so proud to be a part of his life and we will miss him greatly.

Your generosity during the hours after the public statement on Friday will help his family deal with the costs of his care and his passing. You made an incredible difference during a difficult time and we cannot thank you enough.

As for honoring Monty, we will do that in our own way. In lieu of flowers or gifts, we ask that you simply do something creative. Use your imagination to make the world a better place in any way that you can. If you know Monty like we do, then you know he would certainly be doing that if he were able to.

Monty was 33 years old.

We love you, Monty.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like Rooster Teeth has a special podcast coming later today on YT. They've wisely chosen to disable chat for it. I wonder how much of RWBY's story the rest of the team knows, assuming they plan on continuing.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Covok posted:

This live podcast is kind of hard to watch. It's four of his co-workers chatting about stories of Monty and his life. It's just kind of a big downer. He was unbelievably dedicated to his work, it seems.

Burnie sounds like he's actively trying to make his voice not hitch. :(

Wonder what's gonna happen to Ren...

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

HGH posted:

Ross of GG wrote a post about his history with Monty. I didn't know much about the man but I enjoyed his creations even before I knew who he was, and he seemed like a really inspirational person. Sad to see him go. It must be awful for everyone involved.

So did Arin.

One thing you see and hear a lot in these is that Monty always wanted to push those around him towards whatever creative thing they had in their head but never started on for whatever reasons. From the above post:

quote:

Then I would tell him my goals, and my creative vision, and he would just tell me, “you can do it. You can pull that off, what are you afraid of? If it’s not good, whatever, at least you MADE something.” Not a single shred of doubt, just blunt but warm encouragement.

Ross' post had something similar in it. Something to the effect of 'your project can't get better if you never start it.' He seemed to be able to generate that desire to create in people, even if he didn't know them well. I've never seen 'inspiration' as much as I have in these blog posts of people describing Monty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Aw, man...

Can't imagine how rough it's gonna be getting back into the swing of normal work after the last week and a half. At least it's over with, I guess. No more uncertainty. Waiting while he was in the coma must've been the worst loving thing in the world. Especially when trying to keep up appearances publicly.

• Locked thread