Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale

Literally The Worst posted:

Zorak and Neeksy actually did a podcast explaining just why this poo poo is awful and bad and you should feel bad for liking it. Look up Animation Dissection.

I was in that podcast too! And I made the Yang running gif.

But yeah, Monty is someone who got very very good at doing one thing, and was then asked to do many other things that he wasn't trained for. I think he did eventually upgrade his animation tech, since the show is basically sponsored by the newest copy of Poser, but his reluctance to update made it seem like he was afraid of being exposed as a one trick pony.

He is also a 30 year old high school drop out who regularly wears anime wigs and plays DDR religiously but that probably has nothing to do with RWBY.

For what it's worth, I think the beginning of season 2 was a step in the right direction, but it's still a long way behind being the show that people believe it to be. And as a reminder, this just won 2 awards at the Streamy's, beating Pendleton Ward's Bravest Warriors for Best Animated Show, and winning Best Original Score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

HiveCommander posted:

What. The. gently caress.

Yeah, it beat Bravest Warriors and Simon's Cat, among others. I think someone hit it on the head when they said that it basically only won because of Rooster Teeth's popularity. Based on that and Video Game High School winning a bunch of awards, it's not exactly winning awards based on quality, but based on how much hype it has.

Monty is interesting. I was actually a fan of his for a long time, up to when RWBY was released. After it came out, I realized that he was really just a guy who never grew out of his high school mentality, and made a living doing pretty fight scenes. I guess that I respect that he is doing what he loves and that its commercially successful, despite it's faults, but the fact that it's winning awards over shows that have actual effort put into them is kind of lovely.

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

The Bee posted:

They've done absolutely no monster fighting. Giant Scorpion and Giant Crow's sacrifices were in vain.

This actually is a great example of one of their main problems of world building vs story telling, or possibly say vs do. There is both the opening of the series, with it's little monologue on what Grimms are in the world (the embodiment of evil and absolute monsters or some poo poo) and some monologues and lessons from teachers talking about how dangerous they are. Despite everything they SAY, the actual Grimms are never shown to be dangerous at all. Even during a scene which is supposed to show how dangerous they are (one of the classroom scenes where one of them fight a Grimm), the only reason they lose is because they are being distracted.

On top of that, as Zorak pointed out in the podcast, the Grimms NEVER actually attack them actively. They are shown to be very passive, and only ever attack when, in a real world situation, an animal would be threatened, like when someone enters their territory in the forest, or when a captured one is released inside a room of obviously hostile people. It seems like the exact thing where Monty went "Wouldn't it be cool if there was some big monster type for the heroes to fight?" and that ended up being the beginning and ending for the Grimms.

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Hbomberguy posted:

Please link this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSuTnCFqMkw

The particular part you want is at 2:25, but you really have to watch it from the beginning to get the full vision on what Monty is. I hadn't really noticed until now, but he does sound REALLY autistic when explaining how he works, and also really unhealthy.

As a reminder, the Haloid thing that he mentions at the beginning? It ends with Master Chief actually being a woman and female Master Chief and Samus making out and possibly loving. That's who they trusted to make a show with all females

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Endorph posted:

RWBY wasn't really my jam, but RIP dude.

Wonder if they'll continue the show without him? It's successful, but at the same time from everything I've heard, he was basically the driving force behind it.

My guess is they will produce whatever they had already planned, maybe adding a little bit to give it a proper ending, then just leave it.

• Locked thread