Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames
I unironically enjoy this show and look forward to every thursday. If this means I have poo poo taste, so be it.

Pretty glad they didn't go all in on prom shenanigans. I went into the most recent episode expecting rooster teeth to take the low hanging fruit but instead I got yang/ruby backstory and a well scripted conversation between yang and blake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

KasaiAisu posted:

Pretty glad they didn't go all in on prom shenanigans.
(ep7)
mmm oh man these words are delicious hey anyone want to try some?

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

the last three pages posted:

many posts arguing about objectively wrong opinions

hello friends. I like Ruby. She spergs about weapons which is amusing. Gosh this show is fun

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

The hype train has no brakes

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Hbomberguy posted:

It does, however, lay bare the real relationship at play between the show and its fans.

"I love RWBY, because RWBY loves me!"

Another example: I'm not saying the Plinkett reviews aren't worth watching or shouldn't be popular, but their popularity is in part because the fans have always thought the prequels were bad but were never quite sure why - beyond cultural touchstones like jarjar being bad or whatever. Those videos fulfil their own desire for the prequels to be as bad as they think they are. Similarly, RWBY is 'good' because calling it good retroactively validates your decision to watch it and shows like it. This is why there's so much fanfiction. The fans, on some level, are aware that the show exists as their own wish fulfillment, so they are adapting it to fulfill their wishes in a more specific and personal way.

I don't know about you, but when I watch something I don't like, I stop watching. I hated Avatar: Legend of Korra and still haven't watched the third season because of it. Are you saying that the existence of fanfiction means the show is bad? Because that means everything, everywhere, is terrible. I'm pretty sure the enormous amount of fanfiction/art is just because RWBY appeals to the same demographic as, say, Homestuck.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Alder posted:

But I have to wonder why Ruby didn't have to answer too?

I'd assume we're going to find out next episode, or at the very least by the end of the season.

I also liked this episode. One of the biggest complaints I had about season 1 is that we had all these characters and a pretty interesting world, yet we never really explored them. Coupled with the longer episodes, it looks like RT is learning from the mistakes they made in S1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

That character trait seemed pretty reasonable actually. He gets his point across thoroughly as to ensure no misunderstanding, while speaking so quickly that he causes misunderstanding. Given that he drinks a ton of coffee and is an intellectual, it makes sense to me.

I also loved how Ruby went in for the punch, but was totally ineffective. It's the sort of thing that should happen when a teenage girl hits an adult guard, but I was expecting her main-character-ness to allow her to fight back.

• Locked thread