Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I've been debating on and off now about starting a thread that would've been even more downplaying and apologetic but I am now pretty relieved OP did it instead, you're a brave man sir! :)

I also unironically like it, recognize its faults particularly in season 1, and agree its very likely in the guilty pleasure territory but for me it does enough things right or cool that I can let it go and not have it bother me.

I'm also a huge RoosterTeeth fan and especially so after I discovered the Achievement Hunter Lets Plays so I must admit that some part of me might just be watching it for Lindsay and Michael.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

HMS Boromir posted:

If you like RWBY you might want to consider watching Soul Eater instead. It's also garbage for twelve year olds but it has much better animation and character design.

Unless you've already watched Soul Eater and need more and newer content. :)

quote:

but the fact that it's winning awards over shows that have actual effort put into them is kind of lovely

This is kind of weird, its not like RWBY is the "expensive private school team" winning over the plucky underdogs with a shoe string budget.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

HiveCommander posted:

You could always watch the rest of the crappy shounen series aimed at 12 year olds. It's not like there's a shortage of them!
Fairy Tail is another substitute.

You make this sound like I haven't already done so. :D

The whole "I don't like the show you like so I'm going to suggest shows you probably also like and probably also watched when you already have a show you like and already watching." premise is one you might wanna rethink. Hey lets recommend Legend of Korra next as something anime inspired that I also likely already watched. ;)

Although I second the bafflement in why they don't just use Blender for animating this, like with the Touhou 3D videos, which look gorgeous.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSuTnCFqMkw

The particular part you want is at 2:25, but you really have to watch it from the beginning to get the full vision on what Monty is. I hadn't really noticed until now, but he does sound REALLY autistic when explaining how he works, and also really unhealthy.

As a reminder, the Haloid thing that he mentions at the beginning? It ends with Master Chief actually being a woman and female Master Chief and Samus making out and possibly loving. That's who they trusted to make a show with all females

You guys are really making that sound so much worse than it is, that I really can't take any of it seriously. Especially considering I have seen other podcasts where Monty's there and interacting with Gavin and he's perfectly normal. People having precise workflows that they flip out over is very common in pretty much any specialized field.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Good Listener posted:

I like how in that video how one of these things being unable to deal with was an additional click. I don't quite get why things need to be done so quickly like he seemed to be so focused on. If you're trying to make something you think is good, wouldn't you want to spend time on it? I completely understand deadlines and things like that but maybe if there didn't seem to be this air of him needing to do everything by himself as efficiently and quickly as possible, he wouldn't seem so crazy. This is just a thought, I don't really understand how the man's brain works.

The 40 second Tex vs The Reds & Blues fight took something on the order of eight hours to animate. I think its justified to gradually improve your workflow even if it means disemboweling a cheap 20$ keyboard. Now to the extent that I agree that using Poser is silly I'll also add I think it should have been possible to edit the shortcut in preferences; assuming its a sensible program like Blender.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Monty has some sort of background in dancing that influences his fightscenes so I assume it isn't so much about being 'cool' as something he just feels that the way it would have to move might look 'cool'; minor nuance there I feel, but you can disagree.

Regarding Trigun I agree, RWBY doesn't have a lot of depth to it though it might be slowly gaining some; the recent episode I think was good on that front.

ninjewtsu posted:

Please explain to me how ripping off your capslock key and f1 key to save time 1. saves time and 2. is not a sign of mental illness

Like seriously, he could just not push those keys. Why does he need to rip them off? That's just plain crazy, and a definite sign that something is not right with that man

I hit keys I don't want to hit all the time working in Unity and Blender, its not *as* frustrating for me but there are mild forms of aphasia(?) that can make it ten times frustrating. Not that having a form of aphasia isn't strictly speaking a 'mental illness' but I assume you define 'illness' broadly to mean schizophrenic instead of being a reasonable motor impairment.

Also there's still that we seem to be taking one web infographic thing as gospel and assuming there aren't other reasons, they probably aren't good reasons either but they might exist.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Zorak posted:

Tearing off your keys to "save time" is seriously weird, yo.

I'll bite. Why? Shouldn't the desire to save time at least be understandable?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Your post is kinda unreadable. You don't like a dude being snarky over other peoples snarky comments? For my part I'm criticizing people drawing wildly unsupported conclusions about someones mental state, whom they've never met based on him removing a couple of keys from his keyboard? 'You' don't like him allegedly bragging about it as a point he uses to advance the show? Fine whatever, but claiming it a sign of mental illness is atrocious and we're better than that, its no better than the people who tweet Burnie that he should fire [Insert Employee Here] for [Offense of the Week Here].

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It seems fine to me, but then again how much of that is me knowing its Joel having fun colours my perception I don't know.

Last episode before this one also showed us that there' grimm out there so powerful they're borderline sentient. No wonder they're civilization is teetering on the brink of doom.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Speed she might have, but she's without her weapon and Ruby seems to see her value as a reflection of that and so without it she probably just panicked and goofed.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Umbrella girl's fighting was pretty rad.

Also poo poo hit the fan, as people who've seen Attack on Titan can attest.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Chexoid posted:

Let's not also forget that New Character #98 is literally Yang's model but palette swapped. It better be a clone or something otherwise LmaO

Pretty sure that's her mom.

e: I'm with people on that the Grimm should've been way more threatening then they are, RWBY should've been on their last ropes at least before reinforcements arrived.

I think it would've worked people if some bystanders clearly got murdered even if there was a last second cut away.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 1, 2014

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I guess I thought of him kind of like Sheldon in that regards, someone so dedicated to their profession they'd have little time for romance, so that's the one :unsmith: is finding out he has a family like that. But otherwise :smith: all the way, I hope he recovers.

It must be serious is Roosterteeth's insurance doesn't cover it. :(

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
No. :smith:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Spiritus Nox posted:

I can't imagine losing someone I cared about to a freak allergic reaction.

I can because it happened to a family friend, and she was only 14. :smith:

ChibiSoma posted:

Looks like Rooster Teeth has a special podcast coming later today on YT. They've wisely chosen to disable chat for it. I wonder how much of RWBY's story the rest of the team knows, assuming they plan on continuing.

The head writers are Kerry and Miles, so they know the story most likely.

Darth Walrus posted:

I fell the story should be the easy bit. It's the visuals that'll present a challenge. Do they even have other fight scene guys?

RWBY's production isn't just Monty doing everything anymore, they had a full production team of animators and choreographers; so in theory continuing is certainly possible from a technical stand point, but certainly it is a loss not easily overcome. :(

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I guess I need to be a sponsor to watch it now? I missed it. :(

• Locked thread