Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I actually like the fights in this show and I don't mind the animation. But my god are the dialogue and characters gently caress-awful. When it was revealed that Black was a Faunes I stopped watching this show because of how loving ham-fisted the message was. Also Blanc is a dumb and terrible person so naturally the fandom loves her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Srice posted:

I think the only anime I've ever seen that has been a worse experience than RWBY has been Mahouka.

And even then it basically "wins" because of the episode length being longer. Though I'm not sure what is worse, Mahouka's far right-wing messages about how the poor and oppressed are actually lovely people that should be crushed, or RWBY's child edutainment-esque moralizing about how racism is actually bad instead of good. Seriously, that stuff makes the anti-racism messages in the Tales of- games look subtle. It's condescending as all hell and it's made even funnier by the fact that there is exactly one animal person who isn't evil and/or a thief.

Mahouka is far worse. Like that's not even a comparison. RWBY's episodes are short, so even when it's being really bad, at least it doesn't last for long. Mahouka wallows in itself for episodes at a time. Also Mahouka has Miyuki while RWBY does not.
And RWBY's fight scenes are creative and cool, whereas Mahouka has none.

Kuroyama posted:

HMS Boromir was right. RWBY is copying Fairy Tail. No wonder Michael Jones got hired for Fairy Tail.

I mean it's an action show geared towards teenagers. It's inevitable the two shows would have overlapping ideas. You might as well be accusing it of ripping off Harry Potter.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Neeksy posted:

Even if it had some kind of interesting premise, the format and structure of the writing is very US american kid's adventure show in how it handles conflict and plot progression. Biggest example being the "uh oh misunderstandings, a bully is blackmailing me and I stand up to them only when they want me to hurt my friends" plotline, something you would have seen in a show like "As Told by Ginger", but now they have swords that are also guns.

That frankly sounds fine to me, especially that last part. I wasn't really expecting anything other than that. The show's main problem, animation aside, is that the quality of the writing dips below that bar.
Tell me how I'm responsible for the death of good taste.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Takoluka posted:

Man, I just wish RWBY had been a video game from the start; basically, DMC/Bayonetta meets Dynasty Warriors.

So DMC4 in Legendary Dark Knight mode?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Solaris Knight posted:

From what I heard, Velvet got popular because surprise, a shy teased bunny girl ends up being popular with an audience of teenage girls and neckbeards. So then her role got expanded in Volume 2, warranting the contest in the first place.

You know, the sad thing is that the show actually used her to demonstrate how lovely being a Faunes was. And it was actually subtle and effective about it. I was genuinely impressed that the show did not sexualize a bunny girl and actually showed that being a bunny girl was lovely. But then Blake ruined it with her bullshit and then fans cropped up and began to be terrible people.

VV She was being bullied, people were tugging on her ears and when asked if she ever encountered discrimination she was too scared to raise her hand. It was legitimately well done.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Sep 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

While I understand having a passion for the craft, complaining about software updates is really loving dumb. Can't the dude just divide some time out of his busy schedule to learn the new features? The dude literally states that he is racing against the clock because software updates make him less efficient. Yes Monty, they do that to everyone. Most people however adjust to a new interface in 1-3 days.

• Locked thread