Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Redcrimson posted:

I don't think I got more than 4 episodes into this thing. The amount of cringe was actually causing me physical pain. It's such a transparent amalgamation of every superficially "cool" anime and videogame cliche that if you told me RWBY was honest parody, I'd probably believe you.

Yeah the humor is painful on its own, nevermind that it's delivered in the most cringeworthy way possible.

Also the characters are all terrible and unfunny. The formula for a RWBY character is as follows: Basic personality trait + Random quirkiness.

And to top it all off there's not a single original thought behind this, it's like what if someone's only exposure to fiction were YA novels and subpar Shonen fighting anime. When the characters aren't telling painfully unfunny jokes, they're spouting off lines that are just cliche as heck and it makes them even more one dimensional. In the Summer season thread Zorak mentioned that apparently the people writing this genuinely love it, which came as a shock to me because before that revelation I assumed that the incredibly writing was meant to be like that to be a cynical cashgrab. It's very...fandom-y writing, is what I'd call it? I feel like the audience is meant to be the sort that goes out and reads or writes fanfiction about RWBY.

And this is to say nothing of the terrible animation that is directed like a video game cutscene instead of something that's meant to be watched. Good choreography could make up for their janky as hell animation, but this does not have good choreography in the slightest.

Just...dang, I can't even think of a single positive comment to say about RWBY. It's insanely bad.

Instead of writing more words I will just post a gif that the animators think looks acceptable:

Srice fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

HMS Boromir posted:

Not a RWBY-liker but it's strange to me that people keep posting this and nobody's considered that it might be a visual gag. RWBY's animators aren't necessarily the most worthy of the benefit of the doubt but they look so much like cuckoo clock or music box automata that I'm leaning towards intention rather than accident on this one.

There have been enough moments where people glide along on the ground (or walk like they're on ice) that unless I hear something from one of the animators that says otherwise, I'm going to assume that they didn't intend for it to be a joke.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Hagop posted:

I have always thought that this was deliberate, given that this is basically YouTube the Anime. I figured its target audience was 11 year old YouTube addicts. Which is why it feels like they lifted the script from a Disney high school drama.

That's what I thought too, until I learned it wasn't and that it's all genuine!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Carlioo posted:

RWBY isn't a very good show and from the like 4 episodes I watched, the thing I liked the most was yellow girl's shotgun knuckles. It just feels like Monty's animation program is horribly outdated and while it works well when people fight, it just looks weird when they talk with each other or just interact at all. Also I don't like that any character that isn't important is just a shade, it looks really, really stupid and I hope Monty put in more effort than that in later episodes.

That's because the animation program they use is Poser, which is not intended to be used for that. It's mainly for modeling, storyboarding and the like!

Srice fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Sep 9, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Zahki posted:

RWBY is a guilty pleasure of mine. It's certainly not 'good' by any standard, but I like the ambition Monty has and for the budget he has to work with I think it's a pretty decent effort. It's certainly no worse than 90% of the shonen-schlock and moe-blobs that pervade anime at the moment and considering we are 6100 posts into the 17th Naruto thread lets not pretend anyone around here actually has good taste.

He actually has a pretty decent budget because Rooster Teeth has been doing stuff for a long time now! It'd probably look good if he used something other than Poser (holy lol at the comment on the last page about how he whined about an upgrade. Poser is bad enough, but an obsolete version? Goddamn).

Also even with all of Naruto's faults, at least Naruto can manage the bare minimum acceptable level of characterization. Literally all of RWBY's characters are one dimensional, defined entirely with the formula of "personality trait + random quirk" and they never want to go beyond that, because they are the sort of characters that feel like they're meant to appeal to the fanfiction crowd.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think the only anime I've ever seen that has been a worse experience than RWBY has been Mahouka.

And even then it basically "wins" because of the episode length being longer. Though I'm not sure what is worse, Mahouka's far right-wing messages about how the poor and oppressed are actually lovely people that should be crushed, or RWBY's child edutainment-esque moralizing about how racism is actually bad instead of good. Seriously, that stuff makes the anti-racism messages in the Tales of- games look subtle. It's condescending as all hell and it's made even funnier by the fact that there is exactly one animal person who isn't evil and/or a thief.

Srice fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 12, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

Mahouka is far worse. Like that's not even a comparison. RWBY's episodes are short, so even when it's being really bad, at least it doesn't last for long. Mahouka wallows in itself for episodes at a time. Also Mahouka has Miyuki while RWBY does not.
And RWBY's fight scenes are creative and cool, whereas Mahouka has none.

I mean it's an action show geared towards teenagers. It's inevitable the two shows would have overlapping ideas. You might as well be accusing it of ripping off Harry Potter.

Iunno the fight scenes just come off as..really overacted, if that makes sense? They're more concerned about poses than actually giving weight to any of their actions.

To me it's about as "cool" as watching LARPers.

Also with the comment about it "having potential" kinda rubs me the wrong way since you'd have to look harder to find premises with zero potential! A good execution can carry the lousiest of ideas, and this is a cliched but proven premise executed in the most hamfisted way possible.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Good Listener posted:

I don't think this has been posted so I'm going to post it. Advice on how to make your OWN RWBY team! Oh boy~~

https://twitter.com/montyoum/status/406894139746172928

The gist is if it's a color, use that.

The best part about this is the revelation that he spent "countless hours" naming his characters.

Yeah.

Also the fact that he's going to hold a contest to put fanfiction characters into the show itself just proves that the target audience are the type of people that read and write fanfiction.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Neeksy posted:

Are the underlying ideas all that good? I mean, maybe they were good in the original things it borrows from, Naruto, Soul Eater, etc. but there isn't anything really all that groundbreaking or interesting going on in it.

Even if it had some kind of interesting premise, the format and structure of the writing is very US american kid's adventure show in how it handles conflict and plot progression. Biggest example being the "uh oh misunderstandings, a bully is blackmailing me and I stand up to them only when they want me to hurt my friends" plotline, something you would have seen in a show like "As Told by Ginger", but now they have swords that are also guns.

"Good ideas" and a "good premise" aren't worth poo poo if your execution is completely inept, basically.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If it's okay to make fun of how some people can't deal with it when their workplace makes them update Microsoft Office or even the Windows version they're using, then it is definitely okay to make fun of a guy for not being able to deal with an update to the animation program he uses. There's really no difference between the two.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's funny though since he rips off keys to save time, instead of presumably saving a lot more time by actually taking the time to sit down and learn how to use a newer version of Poser.

(In this hypothetical I assume that using that time to actually learn a real animation program is completely out of the question, of course)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

While I understand having a passion for the craft, complaining about software updates is really loving dumb. Can't the dude just divide some time out of his busy schedule to learn the new features? The dude literally states that he is racing against the clock because software updates make him less efficient. Yes Monty, they do that to everyone. Most people however adjust to a new interface in 1-3 days.

Hell, he could delay the new episodes by a week or something. It's an internet show, you didn't pay for a timeslot or anything. You're only beholden to yourself.

I'm sure the fanbase wouldn't mind hearing that he'll be taking a week or two off to learn the new features. Plenty of others take short breaks from time to time.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

HiveCommander posted:

TeamFourStar do amazing parody work and I respect them a lot for the effort they put in. I wasn't really impressed by Hellsing Abridged, but DBZ Abridged was really well done. Their jokes and references are pretty well integrated too.

DBZ Abridged also really improved after the first season, when they learned that shouting references doesn't equal comedy gold. Not a huge fan of it but dang, they really looked at what wasn't working for them and took the appropriate steps to fix it. And coming up with original material instead of shouting internet memes? Why, that takes time! :v:

RWBY meanwhile works in "Four score and seven years ago" and "I am not a crook" in the same line of dialogue...because the writer thinks those lines are inherently funny, I guess? Shouting famous presidential lines is such a quirky and random thing to do!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Fangz posted:

You people are taking some guy's choice of 3D graphics package waaay too seriously.

"Here's something this guy could do to improve the product he's putting out"

"Whoa, you guys are being too serious about this!"

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

I dunno, you could probably give him the industry best animation suite and tools and he'd still kludge something incredibly mediocre together at best, because he doesn't have the training or skills to produce a quality product. Ideally he'd take the money he's making from this terrible show and invest them in some art and animation classes. Hell if nothing else, a course on the latest version of Poser so he isn't further hamstringing his efforts.

Granted even if it was well-animated it still wouldn't be good because holy poo poo the voicework is hilariously bad and the writing is extremely childish, but at least you might be able to turn off your brain and enjoy the visuals.

Even tho using something besides Poser would probably be a net gain for the animation, I think it'd still suffer from clunky direction and poor choreography even if it wound up being technically better.

Srice fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 23, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

They're a group that has been making various things for what, like a decade?

They're not some indie group and the credits show that a fair amount of people are involved with the production. Their efforts aren't amateurish at all, these are paid professionals putting out a product in order to make money. That they're doing a piss-poor job with the quality doesn't make it amateur work.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I gotta admit I'm a bit perplexed here. If you don't want to discuss a show because you can't satisfy everyone with your opinion, why make a thread in the first place? Like you said, it's all a matter of taste anyways, so why not back that up with some arguments about the show's merits instead of talking about how you can't please everyone?

Be stronger with your convictions, I say!

Srice fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 24, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Well, I mean, RWBY is kind of the Foodfight! of anime so...

Man, I wish. Foodfight is the special kind of bad. It's like peeling an onion, there are just so many layers and the deeper you go the weirder it gets.

Since RWBY cribs so much from shonen anime and young adult stuff, there's not even a morbidly fascinating terrible message underneath it all.

I mean, Foodfight wants to say that generic brands are literally Nazis. Something like Sword Art Online says that excessive escapism is actually cool and good, instead of bad. Mahouka? The poor and downtrodden deserve to be crushed.

As far as I can tell, RWBY is just giving off generic messages about friendship being good because that's what they tend to emphasize in the stuff it wants to be. That's no fun to dissect at all! There's a reason why people talk about the thoughts behind its creation when criticizing the show. It's just a much more interesting thing to talk about.

Srice fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Solaris Knight posted:

Even people who hate this show like the soundtrack, right?

Because Shine is pretty choice.

If you mean the song they sing for the opening and ending then that stuff makes me feel embarrassed by proxy. Kinda feels like something you'd hear on the Disney channel or something.

• Locked thread