Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

For what it's worth, I think the beginning of season 2 was a step in the right direction, but it's still a long way behind being the show that people believe it to be. And as a reminder, this just won 2 awards at the Streamy's, beating Pendleton Ward's Bravest Warriors for Best Animated Show, and winning Best Original Score.

What. The. gently caress.

HMS Boromir posted:

If you like RWBY you might want to consider watching Soul Eater instead. It's also garbage for twelve year olds but it has much better animation and character design.
The characters themselves actually have personalities, and can hold conversations that don't sound like ET trying to communicate with a child with down syndrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Unless you've already watched Soul Eater and need more and newer content. :)

This is kind of weird, its not like RWBY is the "expensive private school team" winning over the plucky underdogs with a shoe string budget.
You could always watch the rest of the crappy shounen series aimed at 12 year olds. It's not like there's a shortage of them!
Fairy Tail is another substitute.

It's kinda funny that RWBY is trying to replicate shounen so much, yet it's not even winning awards because of determination, guts and fighting spirit at all. If RWBY was a character in a shounen, it would no doubt be the edgy douchebag rival of the main character.

Srice posted:

Also the fact that he's going to hold a contest to put fanfiction characters into the show itself just proves that the target audience are the type of people that read and write fanfiction.
Also, this.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Neeksy posted:

Because even the recent slew of apocalyptic YA novels have some kind of personality quiz or vague narrative mechanism for separating the characters into castes.
Could be something to do with that trope that anime references a hell of a lot but doesn't actually do anymore, where heroes are given colours. Red is always the leader, that sort of thing.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

The whole "I don't like the show you like so I'm going to suggest shows you probably also like and probably also watched when you already have a show you like and already watching." premise is one you might wanna rethink. Hey lets recommend Legend of Korra next as something anime inspired that I also likely already watched. ;)
I'm just saying that there's a ton of shows that do what RWBT tries to do, but with far better execution, far better characters and far better animation.

Butt Ghost posted:

So is Soul Eater good, or does it just enjoy the virtue of not being RWBY?
It's honestly not too bad, the characters have a fair few quirks as well. By that, I mean more quirky than a Sun Wukong spin-off character that's creatively named Sun Wukong :v:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Kabanaw posted:

An inability to deal with workflow changes is a huge problem. They're stuck using poser instead of an animation engine intended for final rendering, then they're stuck using an outdated version of it to boot. It probably took longer to produce what they did than it would have to make something higher quality in a different engine. Changing production pipelines for a long-term benefit in quality and productivity is common practice for any sort of media or software production and if you're not able to do that you shouldn't be working in a professional studio.
[sarcasm]
B...but that's what makes Monty such a special snowflake! He doesn't conform to using programs made for rendering like the sheeple masses, which makes his work as wonderful and unique! Can't you people see that he is a creative genius? Monty's just misunderstood, like all great artists.
[/sarcasm]

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Srice posted:

If it's okay to make fun of how some people can't deal with it when their workplace makes them update Microsoft Office or even the Windows version they're using, then it is definitely okay to make fun of a guy for not being able to deal with an update to the animation program he uses. There's really no difference between the two.
The difference being that most of those people aren't using Powerpoint to make an animated series with considerable financial backing :v:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Ferretts posted:

Sure, I'm going to be poo poo on for this, but while reading the last page did anyone else feel like they were in some corner of a school cafeteria listening to a group of mean spirited children talk poo poo about the fat and awkward kid just because they could?
No-one is stopping you from liking RWBY, just like no-one stopped Wickedhate from liking Mahouka, even if the show was objectively terrible and there was some 15 pages of legit criticism by the time the 8th episode had aired. There's a ton of valid points being raised about the show and it's creator, and the piling evidence of him being a spastic, OCD child just continues to undermine his credibility as a ~professional~.

Zorak posted:

I am pretty sure it's perfectly standard to discuss a work from the context of its origin. And the ludicrous things the creator for RWBY has made public as being part of his creative / production process say an awful lot about both the work and the creator himself.
Basically this. The decisions and steps a creator takes to reach the end product are totally worth criticizing, especially when it involves stuff like "Here's the formula for how we create cool character names in RWBY! Try it yourself and make some fanfiction!"

Good Listener posted:

I haven't really watched much of DBZ abridged but reading that they do this is pretty crazy. They don't even need to do more than make goofy DBZ jokes but are taking the effort to do all that is pretty respectable in my book.
TeamFourStar do amazing parody work and I respect them a lot for the effort they put in. I wasn't really impressed by Hellsing Abridged, but DBZ Abridged was really well done. Their jokes and references are pretty well integrated too.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Ferretts posted:

How easy do you think it is to satisfy the sensibilities of all the perspectives and personalities posting on this thread? Not possible? If it is possible, it's not worth the time to perfectly formulate the words that can't possibly be misinterpreted or misrepresented by anyone else.
"I don't want to defend the show I like because I might get misunderstood. Instead, I'll just stand on this chair and indirectly call them jerkbags via my mastery of emotes just because they don't like things that I like"

If it's worth the time to formulate petty, indirect insults, it's worth the time to defend something that you like. You can start by dropping the fallacies though, just because the bad animation/acting/script has been brought up a million times does not mean it's irrelevant.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

I mean, you can't please everybody. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks! *eats turd flavoured ice cream*

I didn't like Kill la Kill because it was a skeevy 'monster-of-the-week', and Satsuki's eyebrows were bigger than the Nintendo Home Entertainment System.
Come at me :smug:
Although you'll at least address the criticisms I have with the show, rather than shout out how there needs to be a support group for people that don't like what you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

I don't get SA's insane aversion to fanfiction to the point where literally "speculation of any kind whatsoever about a creative work" is considered fanfiction. So, what are we supposed to discuss exactly? Basic, first-order questions clarifying what happened in a particular chapter or episode?
Hbomber's hit the nail on the head with the fanfic thing. It practically stems from stuff like "What if Harry and Hermione got together instead?" or "What if the Goblet of Fire was written entirely from Cedric's perspective?". Those 'what if' scenarios are what leads to people branching off with their own ideas and (shocking truth!) create fiction based on the established setting that they are fans of.

There's a line between discussion of alternatives to a plot point an outright fanfiction, and I think the line starts when someone creates what they believe is a 'suitable' chain of events that whatever changes they propose will create. Stuff like "why didn't Gandalf get the Great Eagles to fly the ring to Mordor?" is discussion, "Gandalf takes off on a Great Eagle with the hobbits, and they they get attacked by Nazgul mid-air and are forced to detour to Murkwood..." is fanfiction. You might not have intended to come across as a strawman in your post, but that's how it looks.

• Locked thread