Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zorak posted:

I am pretty sure it's perfectly standard to discuss a work from the context of its origin. And the ludicrous things the creator for RWBY has made public as being part of his creative / production process say an awful lot about both the work and the creator himself.

Tearing off your keys to "save time" is seriously weird, yo.

Given he could just as easily set up a custom key board setting on his computer where he disables certain keys, but no, take a screwdriver to a functional key board and tear out certain keys, that's the easiest way to perfect a workflow.

At best Monty seems like a weird guy who set up everything up a very specific way and refuses to learn changes at all, and at worst he's an extreme OCD autistic idiot who adapting to one workflow method and absolutely refuses any change whatsoever to the point of physically damaging his user tools and refusing to adopt any more advanced software no matter what benefits.

And let's not pretend RWBY is anything more then a semi-high profile youtube series controlled by the whims of one crazy animator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Takoluka posted:

The fact of the matter, though, is that he's selling it and people are buying it. This isn't some failed Kickstarter; this is a commercial success resulting in positive returns for Rooster Teeth. He is meeting expectations.

People have lovely taste and throw money at stupid things. Doesn't make them not poorly done.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Angry Walrus posted:

The worst part is that he's got a whole team of trained animators that he's forcing to work with Poser instead of software that they were taught to use and would yield better results regardless. His obsession with "efficiency" is only efficiency for himself. Rather than taking the time to learn how to animate with real software himself, he forced multiple people to take the time to use lovely inferior software just so he could contribute to the animation process without slowing down. He's not actually concerned with producing a good product, he just wants something he can say he made.

There was one "behind the scenes" mini-doc and I could feel the animation team's pain any time they mentioned the process they had to use.

I don't know a lot about animation or animation software, but as much trouble as the guy is, can't they just replace him? Or is his style so distinctive that only he can do it?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
my RWBY OC is actually a Grimm in disguise because Grimms are actually really sentient and just misunderstood.

I gave up on season 2 after the first 'episode', but Grimm hunting is still a thing in the show right? Surely it wasn't some random plot device created to justify fights at the start and then completely forgotten about when the plot jumped to something entirely different.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ferretts posted:

Definitely not. Later the guy he told to gently caress off went and switched the 'v' and 'w' characters on his keyboard as a kind of layered payback and you know what happened? Monty went to the guy's house and shot his Labrador.

The dog is fine now, fully recovered and being a Labrador still loving loves Monty, but it's still messed up if you think about it.

Oh. And about episode 8... That was pretty awful, not gonna lie.

Jesus, I wasn't really on the side of the other guy getting really mad at your asinine responses but after that "joke" you must have the media taste equivalent of a gutter palate if you thought anyone would find that amusing or funny in the slightest.

As much as people have posted that even though RWBY is popular its consumed by people with poo poo taste and doesn't make the show objectively good in any capacity, and as defensive as you get, you're coming off as the absolute definition of a RWBY fan; someone with no taste, consumes lovely media en masse and defends it with "go make something better :smug:" and likely in general makes conversations awkward and uncomfortable with what you think passes for wit.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Sep 26, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

He's trying to make fun of people who said Monty might be crazy (i.e. me) in probably the most tasteless and also most unfunny way possible

I mean it doesn't even work, no one made up anything about Monty. You could maybe go for a "you guys are blowing up a small thing" angle by massively over-exaggerating something. It wouldn't be funny still but what we got instead was something just plain dumb.

I didn't even bother trying to parse the Labrador thing, because if I understood enough about Monty to maybe get whatever reference he was trying to make I'd probably hurl myself off a bridge.

This thread's OP went from "Hah, yeah this is a weird anime inspired internet show but its an amusing distraction" to "Oh, you want to criticize the work and the creators? Must be high up on your pedestal judgmental scum go make your own version if you think you can do better also tons of great works were made by quirky people Monty is just like them"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

I don't get SA's insane aversion to fanfiction to the point where literally "speculation of any kind whatsoever about a creative work" is considered fanfiction. So, what are we supposed to discuss exactly? Basic, first-order questions clarifying what happened in a particular chapter or episode?

It's more of a tongue in cheek thing, people post a long descriptive speculation and then its "oh my god I've just started my own fanfiction"

This thread in particular has problems because RWBY is so heavily copied from other popular series is basically Anime Fanfiction: The Original Series, which means its bland and generic at best, and a confused mess at worst, so the topic of fanfiction comes up as RWBY is wildly people with the same people who write the stuff and so it has a huge internet fanbase for a youtube series.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Takoluka posted:

I wonder what happened. To say "It's not known if he'll recover" is pretty crazy, especially since if it was, like, a car accident, they'd mention it.

The only reason to get a sudden severe hospitalization like that is either suicide attempt or some sort of life ending illness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Wait, allergic reaction to a medical procedure? Like, they gave him penicillin and it did this? I thought they triple-checked that poo poo.

Most hospital deaths like this are down to the anesthesiologist not being informed or the person not knowing they had an allergy. Some of that stuff once its in you is pure poison and there's nothing your body can do but shut down.

That's how Joan Rivers and Kayne's mother died, complications stemming from the drugs they were given. It's not uncommon but usually a sign that the managing doctors screwed up some basic paperwork or didn't verify the details.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 2, 2015

• Locked thread