Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Good Listener posted:

I assume that the academy they all go to is just set on doing this one naming convention because how else would they get code names for teams?

Also I haven't seen this since my viewings of season 1 so I'll ask someone who is watching season 2. Have the monster grimm things actually attacked anyone or are they still going out to random forests and just attacking animal beasts in their natural habitat? Giant scorpion and Giant crow RIP.

They've done absolutely no monster fighting. Giant Scorpion and Giant Crow's sacrifices were in vain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

This actually is a great example of one of their main problems of world building vs story telling, or possibly say vs do. There is both the opening of the series, with it's little monologue on what Grimms are in the world (the embodiment of evil and absolute monsters or some poo poo) and some monologues and lessons from teachers talking about how dangerous they are. Despite everything they SAY, the actual Grimms are never shown to be dangerous at all. Even during a scene which is supposed to show how dangerous they are (one of the classroom scenes where one of them fight a Grimm), the only reason they lose is because they are being distracted.

On top of that, as Zorak pointed out in the podcast, the Grimms NEVER actually attack them actively. They are shown to be very passive, and only ever attack when, in a real world situation, an animal would be threatened, like when someone enters their territory in the forest, or when a captured one is released inside a room of obviously hostile people. It seems like the exact thing where Monty went "Wouldn't it be cool if there was some big monster type for the heroes to fight?" and that ended up being the beginning and ending for the Grimms.

The whole series seems to be founded on "wouldn't it be cool if-" Which is a shame, because a lot of these ideas WOULD be cool, if. In this case, cool if tied together with more cohesion and originality, and more competent execution.

Its honestly bit confusing. Rooster Teeth has been in the voice acting game for a long while, the music's good, a lot of the underlying ideas are good. What happened?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

SSNeoman posted:

You know, the sad thing is that the show actually used her to demonstrate how lovely being a Faunes was. And it was actually subtle and effective about it. I was genuinely impressed that the show did not sexualize a bunny girl and actually showed that being a bunny girl was lovely. But then Blake ruined it with her bullshit and then fans cropped up and began to be terrible people.

VV She was being bullied, people were tugging on her ears and when asked if she ever encountered discrimination she was too scared to raise her hand. It was legitimately well done.

The second scene was pretty well done. First kinda rubbed me the wrong way a bit with how our brave main character heroes just stood by and reminded the audience that racism was bad as it was going on.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

theCalamity posted:

It's an alright episode, but as a season finale, that was poo poo.

Even compared to how tensionless the series already has been, I'm amazed by how little tension this episode had.

I'm not saying make everything grimdark and bloody, but this was the show's big chance to finally show why the Grimm are considered so dangerous. So naturally, our heroes curbstomp them without a hitch. Then their goofy best friends do. Then their teachers and the faceless robot mooks do. Then the MAIN VILLAINS do, because why not. Then the random upperclassmen out of nowhere because we really need more characters I guess.

I dunno, it was some pretty good action spectacle. But christ these fight scenes are more indulgent and one-sided with each episode.

Also with Giant Bird and Giant Scorpion turning into total jobbers this fight, I guess the new candidate for best mook is Man With Chainsaw.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 31, 2014

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Chexoid posted:

Let's not also forget that New Character #98 is literally Yang's model but palette swapped. It better be a clone or something otherwise LmaO

I'll chalk it more up to the faces being very samey and this lady obviously being her mother I mean come on its literally Yang with Ruby's colors.

Still, cripes that's lazy.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 31, 2014

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Alder posted:

Best 5 minutes of the episode. It feels a bit boring if all the students are that strong and they're not even graduates yet.

Reminds me, I love everyone's fashion sense.

S2 apart from the Prom scenes was a huge letdown with no real progress other than flashy fights. I'm ambivalent if I care enough to wait for S3 right now. Perhaps, just to see another Yang vs Neo fight round 2.

Honestly the prom scenes contribute even more to the feeling of no progress. A ton of airtime wasted on characters who make Jaune seem useful and important by comparison.

I guess that's my big problem with the series in general. There's no focus. Is it about balancing school responsibilities and being the hero, a hopeless situation with the world's problems all coming to a head, or a silly shonen bloodbath? Deep moments briefly surface but vanish quickly. Fight scenes are just constant setpiece fests always trying to one up the last one. Pointless new characters appear on a regular basis.

If Monty Oum could restrain himself and stick to maybe half of what he has I'd feel much more optimistic. But I get the feeling he's going to just keep adding more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Alder posted:

B-But flawed characters add realism?! Or in reality they seem even more useless compared to the rest of the cast.

There's flawed characters and then there's useless characters. Sun and Neptune literally exist to be drooled over by the main cast and almost nothing else. Their only fights in recent memory had them leaving midfight to get coffee against the robot and get outperformed by every character including a goddamn corgi in this latest episode.

I love flawed characters, and I'd love to see everyone in this show stop being so invincible. Its just a problem when you could completely ignore their segments of the episode and losing nothing as a result.

• Locked thread