Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Yeah, a fan made a really barebones game where you were the scythe girl fighting the wolves, they hired him to finish making it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

KasaiAisu posted:

well scripted conversation

Yeah, about that...

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Fight scenes take longer to animate than episodes full of the characters all using the same clunky walk cycle.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Although I second the bafflement in why they don't just use Blender for animating this, like with the Touhou 3D videos, which look gorgeous.

Because Monty learned to animate with Poser and is forcing the entire team of animators they have employed to use it as well so he can continue to contribute to the animation process without Burnie seeing that he's actually wildly incompetent at animating.

He may or may not also be autistic because when RT upgraded their copies of Poser he flipped his poo poo and by Burnie's own recounting of the story literally begged for them to revert the changes because the old version was what he was used to and apparently wasn't capable of learning how to use the new features and layout.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Neeksy posted:

He writes human interaction like an autistic person would, or maybe like someone whose only understanding of human behavior was watching Full House and Bleach.

He doesn't do the writing though. That's Miles and Kerry. Miles is really surprising because he's a fun and charismatic guy that acts like a functioning human being. Kerry's a bit of a weird fucker though.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
I remember the story from one of the Podcasts where Burnie went a bit more into detail, but hell if I can remember which one.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Neeksy posted:

And again, I can't stress this enough, the dude is PAID to make this. He is given money with the expectation to put out a decent product, and this is what comes out. I'd be way more forgiving if it really was just this one dude trying to make something he liked; the fact that it's being sold to the public as if it's remotely up to par is what makes it ripe for tearing apart.

The worst part is that he's got a whole team of trained animators that he's forcing to work with Poser instead of software that they were taught to use and would yield better results regardless. His obsession with "efficiency" is only efficiency for himself. Rather than taking the time to learn how to animate with real software himself, he forced multiple people to take the time to use lovely inferior software just so he could contribute to the animation process without slowing down. He's not actually concerned with producing a good product, he just wants something he can say he made.

There was one "behind the scenes" mini-doc and I could feel the animation team's pain any time they mentioned the process they had to use.

Angry Walrus fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 23, 2014

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Takoluka posted:

The fact of the matter, though, is that he's selling it and people are buying it.

Basically what this guy said. He brings in the dough and RT isn't going to argue with that, and with animation being a hard to get into field I really doubt the actual animators are going to speak up against the head of the animation department to get fired and be faced with a weak job market.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
A lot of the fights in the older seasons of RvB where Monty was the only animator felt like they had more weight to them, so I'd chalk it up to him having enough experience with Poser to make it work but the newer animators don't.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
My fan-RWBY is Pu Braun, she's half Asian half German, her weapons are Sais that are also guns, and her special power is wind control. Level Slide, is it alright with you if I use your OCs in a cameo in my RWBY fanfic, The Southern Sword? You can use mine in your fanfic if you want.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Neeksy posted:

So, animation aside. The acting and writing are pretty drat subpar. I guess we can't blame those two things on Monty Oum, right? Because I think there are three people writing this show.

Miles and Kerry are the scriptwriters, with input from Monty, but I think the real problem there is the script editors aren't telling them "no" nearly as much as they should. Miles is also head writer on RvB, which, while middling, is still much better than RWBY's. The difference is in the editors.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Then he would just sound artificial rather than a motormouth.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
fwiw I do agree that Joel's motormouthing usually sounds like poo poo in this and that the concept is lazy and definitely could stand to be a bit more subtle (like pretty much everything else in this show) I just think that him talking at a normal rate and the VO getting sped up after the fact would sound even shittier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Jeff Williams' score is literally the only redeemable thing about this anime fanfiction.

• Locked thread