Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
If you don't take the GEP gun you may have to use the LAW for heavy armor

the GEP gun is good, but the LAW is goddamn hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
also pros dump the crowbar and break boxes with the knife

Dec 26, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

If you don't take the GEP gun you may have to use the LAW for heavy armor

the GEP gun is good, but the LAW is goddamn hilarious

you use the LAW anyway becacuse it owns

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

pros snipe with a thoroughly pimped 9mm instead of the actual sniper rifle

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Ekster posted:

pros snipe with a thoroughly pimped 9mm instead of the actual sniper rifle

10mm

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

how many idiots didn't take the GEP gun?

crossbow darts 4 lyfe biotch

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Silver Striker posted:

dishonored lets you stop time, like a character from my favorite japanese manga series. therefore it is win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9N_d2KuY7A

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Mr. Pumroy posted:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
In the early 2020s, while mechanical augmentations were just becoming widespread, the work on nanotechnology began. Majestic-12 scientists assigned to the project (led by Bob Page) had a number of difficulties. A self-replicating nanite that can interact with biological material had to be developed, and the nanites must be able to interpret commands directly from the mind, and send information back to the mind in a form that can be interpreted.

In 2023, Paul Denton, age 5, is selected as test subject for the nano-augmentation project and he is subsequently cloned. In 2028, Paul Denton's mother, who is unable to have any more children but wants another, is approached by MJ12 operatives posing as fertility experts. She is told that she will be paid handsomely in exchange for participating in experimental surgery that will allow her to become pregnant. Mrs. "Denton", had been poor her entire life, now she could have another child and have enough money to raise her family in comfort. The "fertility experts" assure her that the surgery is minor and the risk is minimal.

After the parents of Paul Denton agree, the mother is implanted with a cloned embryo of Paul. Their lives have already been carefully monitored by MJ12 for many years. In March 17, 2029, JC Denton, a clone of Paul Denton and the protagonist of Deus Ex is born. In 2034, the experiments began on a second generation of 5 year old clones, named Alex and Billie.

In 2035, after taking all of the Illuminati's political, financial, military and religious arms and having inherited the title of de facto ruler of Asia, Eastern Europe and South America, Majestic 12 breaks their promise and kills Paul and JC Denton's parents in secret. They frame it as a fatal car accident, then send JC to a school in Switzerland and in 2040, Paul Denton, at the age of 22 years, joins UNATCO. In 2047, JC Denton graduates from Swiss school. In 2050, Paul Denton is offered nano-augmentation by UNATCO (secretly by Majestic-12) and accepted, becoming the first successfully nano-augmented human. In 2052, JC Denton is also successfully nano-augmented and becomes an active agent of UNATCO.

In 2052, nanite canisters are only a prototype and nanite injections are rejected by the vast majority of the population, so only a very few people can use them without dying due to genetic incompatibility. From the reports of the Majestic-12 on the biological and physiological analysis of Paul Denton, it seems that his compatibility with nanites and nanotechnological implants is due to an absence of all H type epsilon immunoglobin proteins.

Development of nano-augmentation span over many years. It is inevitably likely that experiments were conducted, using unwilling civilians as test subjects, evidenced by the research going on at black sites, such as Rifleman Bank Station, in 2027 - and Ford Schicks involuntary research on homeless people, concerning H type epsilon proteins, in 2052.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I didn't think majestic 12 was formed until shortly before the events of deus ex but that implies it was quite a while before

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I didn't think majestic 12 was formed until shortly before the events of deus ex but that implies it was quite a while before

http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Majestic-12
If you're a nerd fucker who reads nerd wikis like a loving nerd, apparently it dates back as far as Roswell, which lines up with some bits of info you can read in the original game

Plus in HR there's a big 'ol MJ12 statue in the warehouse basement place of the TV station so yeah.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Mach2 posted:

Plus in HR there's a big 'ol MJ12 statue in the warehouse basement place of the TV station so yeah.

Well maybe they put it in in the last year? v:shobon:v

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Well maybe they put it in in the last year? v:shobon:v

To be fair if I started a secret organization the first thing I'd do is come up with a wicked logo and erect statues of anywhere I could within the first year

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
God was a dream of small government.

Dec 26, 2012

You will soon have your God, and he will be made with invisible hands.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
All I've got with me is a pistol and a transvaginal ultrasound wand.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

StandardVC10 posted:

Prod with the prod.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

StandardVC10 posted:

Post Of The Year

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Mach2 posted:

http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Majestic-12
If you're a nerd fucker who reads nerd wikis like a loving nerd, apparently it dates back as far as Roswell, which lines up with some bits of info you can read in the original game

Majestic 12 is a thing lifted wholesale from real life UFOlogy rumors. The story goes that Harry Truman created Majestic 12 by executive order in 1947 to form a group of scientists and government officials to investigate (and cover up) UFO sightings. Or something like that.

It is pretty much certain that it is a hoax since the evidence for it is inconsistent with typical government documentation, and the typewriter used to print them was a model that didn't exist till the 60s. Also Truman's signature was copy-pasted from a memo he wrote.

Concordat fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 11, 2014

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Concordat posted:

Majestic 12 is a thing lifted wholesale from real life UFOlogy rumors. The story goes that Harry Truman created Majestic 12 by executive order in 1947 to form a group of scientists and government officials to investigate (and cover up) UFO sightings. Or something like that.

Okay, that makes even more sense now.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Concordat posted:

It is pretty much certain that it is a hoax since the evidence for it is inconsistent with typical government documentation, and the typewriter used to print them was a model that didn't exist till the 60s. Also Truman's signature was copy-pasted from a memo he wrote.

Also both "documents" were found by the same guy at two different locations and one of them that had supposedly been filed away for decades looked like it had been folded up in someone's pocket

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
maybe it was Harry Truman's pocket

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Deus Ex has tons of little references and tributes to the most insane conspiracy theory poo poo ever thought up, it's great

especially since canonically they're all 100% true

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
just played Steve Jackson's illuminati and now I'm reading this thread......

woah

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

read the Illuminatus! trilogy now

its like the deus ex of books except drugs instead of guns

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

quote:

In 1990, role-playing inventor, Steve Jackson, was planning his newest game, which he would ultimately call the "Illuminati -- New World Order" Game, or "INWO" for short. Jackson was creating a game that would hit very, very close to home, very close to the actual plan of the Illuminati to propel the world into the New World Order -- also known as the Kingdom of Antichrist. As we shall show you, Jackson issued playing cards, three of which foretold the events of 9/11, three of which correctly predict future events just ahead of us, and two that correctly foretell the last two events that the Bible foretells will occur during the final birth pangs that will produce Antichrist!

I'd really love to play an online game of this with some goons, but google's cluttered with lots and lots of poo poo like this

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Schnedwob posted:

I'd really love to play an online game of this with some goons, but google's cluttered with lots and lots of poo poo like this

I had some of those cards. They were neat and the game seemed kinda interesting.

How does that person know they accurately predicted things that haven't happened yet?

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I had some of those cards. They were neat and the game seemed kinda interesting.

How does that person know they accurately predicted things that haven't happened yet?

They just HAVE, okay??? :tinfoil:

And it's a lot like if you Munchkinized a 4X. Or something like that, since this game came before Munchkin.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Honestly if be okay if they continued at the same level as HR. I'm not sure what you mean by making the series amazing again since only the first game was amazing and IW made it so the entire series was mediocre before HR. That's how bad IW sucked.

Also, I forgot to respond to this. That was very un-imp like and I apologize.

But what I mean is HR, while still an okay game, had a ton of stupid design decisions.

The cover system was dumb and they should have stuck with the way Deus Ex originally did stealth (like Thief), they had an irritating yellow filter on everything, the Steven Segal takedowns were funny to watch the first time but got really repetitive and annoying after a while, and this is a less important complaint but Adam Jensen was really bland compared to JC Denton.

Contra Calculus fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 11, 2014

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Contra Calculus posted:

Also, I forgot to respond to this. That was very un-imp like and I apologize.

But what I mean is HR, while still an okay game, had a ton of stupid design decisions.

The cover system was dumb and they should have stuck with the way Deus Ex originally did stealth (like Thief), they had an irritating yellow filter on everything, the Steven Segal takedowns were funny to watch the first time but got really repetitive and annoying after a while, and this is a less important complaint but Adam Jensen was really bland compared to JC Denton.

The way they made stealth & nonlethal the only "correct" way to play was pretty stupid.

Dec 26, 2012

that + nonlethal stealth was really boring because half your gadgets and almost all of your weapons were suddenly worthless including most of the weapon upgrades

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

The way they made stealth & nonlethal the only "correct" way to play was pretty stupid.

How did they make it the only "correct" way to play?

I went through as the angel of death with a silenced pistol and had no problems. Or do you mean it was too easy if you didn't go nonlethal?

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

You get the most XP from nonlethal IIRC, even though it's not really that much harder in most cases.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

How did they make it the only "correct" way to play?

I went through as the angel of death with a silenced pistol and had no problems. Or do you mean it was too easy if you didn't go nonlethal?

The game punishes you for not playing stealth + nonlethal by giving you less XP, it's far more severe if you go non-stealth though. This was probably intentional as stealth + nonlethal was supposed to be harder, but it's actually a lot easier (except for the bosses), just more tedious.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
they still give you more than enough xp and praxis kits to max out your augs even if you go lethal. i agree that giving more xp for stealth was dumb but it really doesn't gimp you as much as you'd think.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Ekster posted:

You get the most XP from nonlethal IIRC, even though it's not really that much harder in most cases.

Oh, that might be right, it's been a while since I played.

I dunno, I had fun playing not nonlethal. I still did stealth but I mean that's kinda the point of the game so it makes sense they balanced it around that.

I also didn't mind the cover-for-stealth stuff since I always thought "if you stand still in a shadow you're invisible!" was a kinda dumb way to simulate sneaking around. I'm sure HR did some stupid stuff with it but I honestly can't remember, as it's been ages since I played.

Dec 26, 2012

yeah, nonlethal takedown is 50xp, nonlethal headshot is 40xp, lethal takedown/nonlethal bodyshot is 30xp, lethal headshot is 20xp, lethal kill is 10xp. also if you use that 2 for 1 thing on takedowns it gives you 125xp for both so 62.5xp in that case. there is basically never a reason to use a lethal takedown mechanically speaking

i feel like moving away from the original where being undetected was its own reward is necessarily a bad idea

see also: using found passcodes being strictly worse than hacking, taking down everyone before moving on being a way better idea than just bypassing them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

01011001 posted:

see also: using found passcodes being strictly worse than hacking, taking down everyone before moving on being a way better idea than just bypassing them

I never once used a passcode I found unless the game rendered something unhackable. Hacking was worth way too much XP to skip it, while using a passcode was worth...zero.

As for the latter, I gotta say most of my Deus Ex Classic playthroughs involve taking down (lethal or nonlethal) every single being that isn't directly aiding me. So that's just sort of my normal playstyle anyway.

• Locked thread