Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
LoS stealth but with no canned animations for stealth attacks. That and the takedowns shouldn't be tied to battery power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

LoS stealth but with no canned animations for stealth attacks. That and the takedowns shouldn't be tied to battery power.

canned animations are fine if theyre fast and if they dont stop the clock so theres some actual weight to them

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

01011001 posted:

canned animations are fine if theyre fast and if they dont stop the clock so theres some actual weight to them

Yeah like a few seconds to knock a guy out or stab them in the neck like dishonored

Dec 26, 2012

even alpha protocol did it better, takedowns are like a second or two maybe

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I didn't like how you could only naturally recharge your first pip of battery, but that was because I liked throwing vending machines at people and I hated having my bloodlust restrained by candy bars

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah, the battery thing in general was really dumb. If you were doing stealth, all it did was pad out the time you spent behind cover while you waited for it to recharge so you could go karate chop some fool again.

I think that if they included more candy bars and batteries or whatever, it could have introduced an interesting resource management mechanic without letting the last battery recharge naturally.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I don't remember, did nonlethal takedowns use battery? Because if they did they shouldn't have.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I don't remember, did nonlethal takedowns use battery? Because if they did they shouldn't have.

Yes, they did. I only played the first full mission of HR (excepting the prologue) before getting distracted but I distinctly remember getting caught without any battery after beating up some fools.

Dec 26, 2012

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

yes

if anything it should have been the opposite because nonlethal and lethal were functionally identical except lethal gave less xp

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Scalding Coffee posted:

I thought it was the D&D thread. Certainly not a shortage of Liberal flag-waving in a thread where the government is turning out to be the result of Progressive policies. I forgot only Progressive viewpoints matter, what with most of the corners dedicated for lefty causes. Countering my view points with left-leaning sources is enough to prove me a liar because it was used against me.

How are Progressive policies helping the poor anyway? Two more years and the gap in income from poor and rich are accelerating thanks to people like you.

jc shoulda used a lethal takedown on you

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

01011001 posted:

yes

if anything it should have been the opposite because nonlethal and lethal were functionally identical except lethal gave less xp

lethal also made a lot of noise and alerted every enemy in the room to where you were

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

01011001 posted:

yes

in principle, enemies could find KO'd guys and wake them up (not so for dead guys)

but, in practice,

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

01011001 posted:

yes

I agree from a balance perspective but I mean I can see how using the arm blades would use battery but choking somebody out wouldn't

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I agree from a balance perspective but I mean I can see how using the arm blades would use battery but choking somebody out wouldn't

Your robot arms need energy to flex

Dec 26, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

lethal also made a lot of noise and alerted every enemy in the room to where you were

lol what a terrible mechanic

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I don't think the first game gave a gently caress if you killed a guy or not. Paul might say something later down the line but that's it.

And that's what should have been done in HR. Either give the same amount of exp for lethal and nonlethal or none at all. Same with stealthy vs. run n gun playthroughs.

Dec 26, 2012

it only mattered for a few dialogue bits because there was no kill experience at all, you only got xp for exploration + mission objectives

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

01011001 posted:

it only mattered for a few dialogue bits because there was no kill experience at all, you only got xp for exploration + mission objectives

you got experience for kills and knockouts

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

The game punishes you for not playing stealth + nonlethal by giving you less XP, it's far more severe if you go non-stealth though. This was probably intentional as stealth + nonlethal was supposed to be harder, but it's actually a lot easier (except for the bosses), just more tedious.

yeah but then you get to one of those dumb as hell bossfights that are 100% geared to combat oriented builds and get absolutely shat on. just the thought of those is enough to stop me from replaying hr

Dec 26, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

you got experience for kills and knockouts

i know there are mods that added that but in the original? no way

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I quickly learned that the boss fights were geared towards having 5 grenades in your inventory at all times.

EDIT: in HR ofcourse

Dec 26, 2012

Mr. Pumroy posted:

yeah but then you get to one of those dumb as hell bossfights that are 100% geared to combat oriented builds and get absolutely shat on. just the thought of those is enough to stop me from replaying hr

bring a stungun and like 15-20 darts, most of them can just be chain-stunned dead

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Director's cut changed that and they're apparently trivial with the stealth techniques

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
I played HR on console because my computer was super poo poo at the time. Didn't the re-release on WiiU (and subsequently, the PC update) fix the bosses so you can stealth and poo poo instead of bruteforcing them?

EDIT: Ninja'd

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

directors cut is a super cool idea for a viddy game and should definitely continue. LISTEN CLOWNSHOES, who has their hand on the controls? that's right, me, i am the gamer and as such the director and not some nerdboat rotting in a eidos cubicle expecting me to buy the unfucked version of their game when i already payed fool price like a dweeb who hadn't learned the lesson of never buying a game for full price.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Pumroy posted:

directors cut is a super cool idea for a viddy game and should definitely continue. LISTEN CLOWNSHOES, who has their hand on the controls? that's right, me, i am the gamer and as such the director and not some nerdboat rotting in a eidos cubicle expecting me to buy the unfucked version of their game when i already payed fool price like a dweeb who hadn't learned the lesson of never buying a game for full price.

it's like 5 bucks if you already own it lol

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Pomp posted:

it's like 5 bucks if you already own it lol

Yeah it was basically a small dlc

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

is it anything beyond basically a patch for someone who already owns it? i s there a secret map where I find walton simons as a kid

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Mr. Pumroy posted:

is it anything beyond basically a patch for someone who already owns it? i s there a secret map where I find walton simons as a kid

It adds ng+, lets you recharge 2 batteries instead of one and has a bunch of commentary poo poo on top of the boss changes and updated textures

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Pumroy posted:

i'm lazy here's everytghing

quote:

I'm just making this to aggregate all the things we know, so all the answers is in one place, rather than having several threads where users keep asking the same questions over and over. also, I'll try to specify when something is specific for a version of the game (like how you can't currently install the game on 360).

most of it is a copy&paste from a post I made over on PS3trophies.org, so there's some bias towards that console (I wrote trophy instead of achievement, etc)

If you find something that has been changed from the original game, this is the thread to post it in.

now then...

- How does New Game+ work?
Short version: "you get to keep all your augments, but none of your items or money".

Long version: once you've finished the game once, a new option will appear in the main menu screen: "New Game+".
Clicking it will let you choose difficulty, so you can finish it on easy and do the new game+ on Gimme Deus Ex.
once you finish the tutorial (which will play out exactly like normal, no augments, one combat rifle) you'll get all the augments you had before, but your inventory and wallet will both be completely empty.

- How are the DLCs implemented?
the pre-order Tactical Enhancement Pack no longer gives you all the items the moment you start the first mission.
After you your very first take-down, you have two routes you can take: up on the roof or in through the front door. A body on the roof holds the silent sniperrifle for you (you can't miss it, follow any "Ghost"-trophy walkthrough on youtube). and you'll run across the double-barreled shotgun if you walk in through the front entrance.

The Explosive Mission Pack is implemented just as it was before. no change.

The Missing Link starts seamlessly when you've hidden yourself away in a cryo-tube.
As you leave the interrogation cell, you will eventually run across your armor and get a comm-message.. there is a big ammunition box to the right of your armor. this contains your weapons, but none of your ammo or other utility items. this container is *extremely* easy to miss.
Once you've finished the DLC Quinn has left a box with all your ammo and other items, as well as previous praxis kits in it, it will be next to a cryotube you use to continue your journey (relax, there is a mission-marker on the hud on top of it.)
The number of Praxis Kits you get back at the end is equal to the number of kits you had earned before starting the mission, you also get to keep all the kits you had earned during the mission itself.
This means you are *very* likely to be able to unlock every augment at this point.
(my latest newgame+ playthrough, the box gave me 96 kits.)

It is interesting to note that the Missing Link mission now acts as a mid-game respec... for those who regret the choices in augments that they did early in the game.

- How have the Boss-battles been changed?
You still have to kill them. so there is no True Pacifist option for you to take here.
I have also yet to find a True Sneak method to kill them... you either need to kill them with your weapons, or with your hacking abilities.

Barret ("The Bull"-trophy)
He is now in a room that is visually similar to before, but much larger.
there are ladders for you to climb to get out of sight, as well as a computer that will open up rooms that contain weapons, ammo and two turrets.
another computer in the other end of the area will allow you to turn on and off two cameras, and more importantly... turn the beforementioned turrets to attack Barret.

Yelena ("The Mantis")
Her room now has two sloping walkways on either side of it that lead to an area above the place you used to fight. here you can find a computer guarded by lasergrid-activated turrets.
the lasergrid can be turned off with a keypad... or you can smash the wall next to the keypad and flip a breaker.
the computer will allow you to turn the turrets on Yelena.

Jaron ("The Snake")
the most changed of the boss fights.
You can no longer use the take-down glitch on him when he jumps over a wall.
there are now two additional rooms to this area... one containing a computer which can turn off cameras and turn two robots on Jamir, the other room contains a laserrifle inside a cage (you can get to it either by a vent, or by hacking a keypad. )

Zhao Yun Ru ("The End")
I honestly don't know how this encounter has been changed...
I've only ever used the Laser Rifle to bypass her shield, and this still works.
First playthrough was on Gimme Deus Ex difficulty and it took three+ laser magazines to take her down.
second playthrough was on normal and it didn't even take one.

- How does the Factory Zero achievement work now?
exactly like before. once you start the missing link mission, you get stripped of all your gear... then you play it just like you did the original DLC. it doesn't interfere with any of the other playthrough trophies.
(I did Legend, Pacifist, Foxiest of Hounds, and Factory Zero, all in one run *pats self on back*)
I did pick up weapons, mines, greandes and praxis kits I found throughout the run, and still got the trophy.

- Which exploits / tricks still work?
- The Hacking glitch/exploit still works (the one that allows you to double rewards).
- The Icarus Box still works.
- You can still move a larger box by pushing a smaller box into it (ordinarily it would require the "move heavy objects"-augmentation).
- You can still use a fire extinguisher to destroy the poison dispenser for Factory Zero.
- Laser Rifle still bypass Zhao's shields.

- Which Glitches are no longer available?
- You can no longer do a takedown on Jaron when he jumps over a wall. *sadface*

- Are there any new glitches and/or tricks?
- You will continue to rack up XP (and thus Praxis Kits) even when you've already maxed out all of your augments. as of this typing, I have 75 Praxis kits available, with all augs maxxed. The Missing Link mission will remove the kits, but then give you the option of taking them back at the end of the mission.
- when walking up to certain key characters, the prompt to talk with them will be accompanied with a quick burst of comm-static. it will however sometimes take between 2 and 6 seconds for the prompt to appear. (Hive bartender, Tong, Quinn, and basically anyone else that has an audio commentary tied to them, as the prompt for that overrides the ability to interact with them.)
- On the Playstation 3 (and potentially X-box 360), if you have a chatpad you are able to enter computer-passwords while in the pause-menu, for those moments when a pathing enemy is likely to find you if you're not ultra-quick (activate computer, press Square(ps3)/X(360) to get the on-screen keyboard, then press start to pause the game, enter the password, press return (on the chatpad), un-pause the game with start-button, and now you're in).

- Has there been any other changes to basic mechanics?
If you play on "Tell me a story" or "Give Me a Challenge" you will now regen two batteries automatically, so you will always be able to cloak and go in for a takedown without eating a ProEnergy Bar. When playing on Give Me Deus Ex difficulty you will only get one battery regenerating.

- Are the XP-books still in the same places?
Yes, no change.
Also the red XP-books you come across the Missing Link mission are not required for the Doctorate-trophy/achievement.

- How is the Vita double screen implemented?
First off: It's optional. you do not require a Vita to play this game.
If you start the game with a normal controller then start the vita, you have to reassign the normal controller's slot (XMB / Settings / Accessory Settings / Reassign Controllers / 2)... and be sure to have the Vita's control scheme set to Type 3.

Your Vita will become your primary controller, the backside of it will be turned into four sections (crouch, sprint, aim, and throw secondary)
when playing the game proper, your vita's screen will be the radar.
when you open up the inventory you will see on your vita screen exactly what you're seeing on your tv, but you'll be able to use the touch-screen to select items or buttons.
When hacking you can tap no nodes to activate them, then chose the option you want by tapping it.
You are not required to use the touchscreen. you can still use the normal controls, even if you're using a Vita.

- Other SecondScreen implementations?
I do not have the Wii, PC or 360 version, so if someone could give their impressions of their second-screen options, it'd be great!

I think that's all I can remember off the top of my head.
Feel free to add things you've found that's been changed.

EDITS:
1: Changed "positive glitches" to "exploits"
2. Changed "exploits" to "exploits / tricks". that should be descriptive enough. keep things constructive, please. also move two-regen-batteries to a new section.
3: specified how many praxis kits you get at the end of missing link.
4: added information about the two boxes that contain your weapons and items during the missing link mission.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Just throw the exploding barrels at Barret, use that super stungun on Federova, and trap Muscleman in that climbing animation loop.

Edit: Oh they fixed namir.

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
colleges I swear to god
4chan is over

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

01011001 posted:

Rand Paul: Oh my god...America!
Obama: What a shame.
Rand Paul: There must be something we can do.
Obama: It was a good country. What a rotten way to die.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

how many idiots didn't take the GEP gun?

The Cross Bow owns, and you should do a pistols/explosives or pistols/low-tech play-through sometime.

Also a Heavy Weapons play through is pretty lol, but there isn't enough ammo to make it completely viable :/

White Phosphorous Rounds ftw thouhg.

Dec 26, 2012

Powercrazy posted:

The Cross Bow owns, and you should do a pistols/explosives or pistols/low-tech play-through sometime.

Also a Heavy Weapons play through is pretty lol, but there isn't enough ammo to make it completely viable :/

White Phosphorous Rounds ftw thouhg.

the thing is that you get the crossbow from like one of the first three dudes you run into on the island

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

01011001 posted:

the thing is that you get the crossbow from like one of the first three dudes you run into on the island

Yea that's true. The "meta-game" means you should take the GEP gun first because you don't get one until LaGuardia otherwise. But thematically, the Crossbow is the correct choice.

Also pro-tip: Whenever you loot a gun you already have it gives you the ammo your gun is loaded with. For Example, on the first island there is a guy with a Crossbow. If you took the crossbow, it will be loaded with tranq darts, and so that guy will give you tranq darts. IF you explore first, you can find some Flare Darts in the water. Load your Crossbow with those, then loot the guy, and you get flare darts. Pretty neat.

However where this really shines is the exotic ammo i.e. the best/most fun ammo in the game. The 20mm Grenade Launcher of those assault rifles, which you find literally everywhere and of course, the White Phosphorus ammo for the GEP gun. Note this only works with the Actual gun, not the little round clips, which just give you like 3 Ammo or w/e.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

You can get the crossbow and sniper rifle before you even go into the statue. Otherwise I think the first GEP gun is in a tower at the airport.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
best thing was using those two scramble grenades i kept since escaping unatco on the two giant mechs in the last area so they gang up on simons. he couldn't even start his dialog because the mechs aggro'd on him. dragon toothed him to death and finished off the mechs.

california roll
Feb 23, 2009
deus ex is a documentary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

conceitedguy posted:

The person reading this is a human being.

• Locked thread