Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Cicero posted:

Huh, is this true for grad school as well?

If you're doing a PhD in Europe, that counts as a job in many of the countries. You don't pay tuition and instead get paid a living wage, with social security and all. Fancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Bip Roberts posted:

Like most programs in US.
As far as I know this is false, they usually have some sort of student status and stipend/scholarship, or perhaps get paid a wage only for teaching hours or technical tasks, not for their research time. I've never heard of an US PhD student whose contract includes participation in a pension fund, which is standard here...

Blut posted:

Interesting. I know in the UK & Ireland the PhDs are shorter (3 year usually, sometimes 4 years) but its extremely had to get funding. For humanities in Ireland the funding rate in the humanities is currently running at around 12.5% of PhDs having funding - and that of approx €20,000 a year. I was under the impression that PhD stipends in the U.S. were around the same (approx $20k USD) but that with cheaper living costs they were a bit more livable. Plus if you got accepted to a program you were guaranteed funding - unlike the 1 in 8 chance in Ireland. I've had numerous acquaintances go from the EU to the US for humanities PhDs for this reason - interesting to hear an opposite experience!

Maybe the situation is different there. The UK is weird anyway, a lot of the funding is only available to UK nationals. In the Netherlands if you're in a PhD programme you have funding. You can decide to do a PhD on your own (all you really have to do to meet the requirements is submit a finished thesis somewhere and have it approved), possibly while affiliated with some university, but not many people do this, since it sucks. I've met more students for whom it is the other way around - they get paid to do research or teach, but since it's only for 1 year they're not officialy PhD students. They'll generally be looking to extend it and get into the actual PhD programme.

The situation is the same for the humanities and the sciences, for the humanities it's just more competitive to get a position as there'll be more applications.

• Locked thread