Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.
Hello everyone,

I'm 18 years old, just finished the (I believe) Dutch equivalent of high school and I'm eligible to study at a university. I have grown tired of Europe, and would love to visit, study at and possibly live in the US. Since I was a child I always dreamed of going to the US, but never really considered it seriously because I was too afraid to go there all by myself. Right now however I am mature enough, and to be honest do not have much reason to stay in Europe any longer except for the fact that I'll not see my family ( with which my relationship is not too well with) any longer for a long while.

I would love to go, my skills are up to American universities, my English is fine and I'm willing to work a lot to pay for my school bills. My parents will still support me, but I'll have to pay the most by myself I presume. The question is however, I am not sure whether or not it's possible for me to study there at all due to laws etc. Which is why I came asking here. Do any Americans, or possibly Europeans who moved out there, or generally anyone at all who knows American laws know if I would be able to get a "permit" to study a bachelor at an university there within a year?

At the moment I just started with a gap year, and thus do have some free time now in order to research into this, but still, I fear I might overlook things, which is why I would be really happy if anyone out there would seriously be able to help me. :)

Every tiny bit counts, so if there is anything you'd like to tell me about this, even if it is not much, I'd appreciate it a ton.

Thanks for reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Ah, thank you both so much for the lengthy answers. :) Learned a lot from it. From what you two and the linked sites told, it seems getting a permit to study is indeed not that hard, it's getting accepted by and paying for the university itself. This makes me sad and happy at the same time, heh. I like that the community is good and friendly to foreigners at American universities, makes me want to go even more.

Sadly, my family is quite poor and I'll never be able to pay those amounts by myself either. I read a lot about these SAT tests and they seem extremely important, is it possible for me to get high scores which in order enable me go to universities which will offer the bachelor for free or at a cheaper amount?

Alternatively, are there any cheaper universities out there that offer studies to international students? Or, even better, are there more ways outside of being a sports pro or a Nobel prize winner to go to universities at a cheaper rate? These amounts come kind of as a shock to me, the university prices are so high compared to Europe. Especially when work will be restricted to me, these prices will be hard/impossible to cough up.

Also saladman, that exchange program sounds pretty good. If all else fails, this should be my ticket to the U.S. I guess. For a year at least.

Jack the Stripper fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 10, 2014

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Saladman posted:

Yes but unfortunately also what fffff said; there's no reason to come to the US to go to Nowhereville State University, when Maastricht is 100x better and still even cheaper than Nowhere State.

Yeah, I'm beginning to realise that aswell now. Wasn't expecting these money problems, so I won't be bothered to hurt me or my family that much unless I can get into a good one.

quote:

If you take the SAT and get >1500, then a lot of decent second-tier universities will give you half or full scholarships to go there, places like University of Georgia, Texas A&M, maybe even UT Austin, etc, will give you a full or nearly-full ride. Top 20 schools have so many kids apply that got perfect SAT scores that they don't give out such scholarships unless you also cured cancer or whatever. In any case don't place your hopes too high, since while you can very likely get a 800 in Math, you almost certainly won't get an 800 verbal since you're not a native speaker--even with as good as the Dutch learn English.

I'll do this SAT test for sure. If my score sucks, or is average, I'll just let it slide and probably go to the US in my exchange program year.

fffff posted:

What were you hoping to major in? Picking a well-regarded school is just as important as finding an affordable one.

quote:

E: Also if you want to major in anything that is not a hard science or math, definitely don't go to the US, as it is a huge waste of money to get a degree in English literature or Psychology, as these are $100,000 pieces of paper that lead to homelessness and working at organic grocery stores where rich people who studied chemical engineering (or married chemical engineers) shop.

Haha. Well, I was planning to study economics as it has always been interesting to me and I am pretty good at it. Do you perhaps know if this study is, well, worth the time/trouble there?

Pvt Dancer posted:

Have you already enrolled this year?

This year I'm doing a HBO study (don't know the international name for it), which is basically an easier university. I'm doing this just to keep my knowledge fresh, while I am looking for studies at universities for the coming year, preferabely in the U.S. But since it seems that that is pretty hard, I might have to look in other countries, because I would really like to get out of my home country and study in a foreign one.

Thank you all so far for the replies btw, they're extremely helpful.

Jack the Stripper fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 11, 2014

• Locked thread