Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
So there has been some discussion of the tournament rules, and how they would work. As a result, here's a more finalized version. We tried to balance all the different needs, and I think this is a fair version. Feel free to yell at me if you see a problem, however.

Tournament Rules
Tournament begins on September 21st and runs until October 5th - in other words, 2 weeks.
Everyone must submit a final decklist in order to be registered for the tournament. You must use the same deck for all scoring matches.
Each match will be a best of 3 games.
Tournament will be Single Round-Robin - everyone plays everyone once in a match (we'll come back to this in a second).
Wins are worth 3 points, Draws are worth 1 point, and Losses are worth nothing. Matches that aren't played are worth nothing, but do not count as losses.
The contending player with the highest overall score wins. Tie breakers will be number of losses.
To be contending, a player has to play at least 75% of all matches. In other words, if 10 people are in the tournament, each player must play at least 7 matches to be contending. If this gets unwieldy, we'll separate people into pods and have the top scorers play each other.

Hopefully, the result is that everyone plays mostly everyone, and we don't have this wide range of games played. From that relatively level playing ground, the player with the best win percentage comes out on top. As we're all people on the internet, sometimes schedules will clash and you'll simply never get a chance to play someone. This way the rules won't punish you for that if you never touch base with a quarter of the players. I know this is a bit rough for AZNAC and Euro time zones, but hopefully schedules can align.

As for the decklists, it's pretty straight forward, assuming you're using Cockatrice. All you'll need to do is send me a copy of your decklist, I'll check that it's legal, and then I'll put hash code for it next to your name. When you load a deck for a game in Cockatrice, the hash code shows up next to your name, so it's easy to see whether your opponent is playing with the right deck or not. Sending me a decklist will also be how you register for the tournament, so two birds with one stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
How do we define "draw"? Normally you play rounds until the "round timer" but seeing as we're just playing on Cockatrice, I'm not sure there will actually be a round limit timer.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

OfChristandMen posted:

How do we define "draw"? Normally you play rounds until the "round timer" but seeing as we're just playing on Cockatrice, I'm not sure there will actually be a round limit timer.
Cockatrice actually has a small timer above the chat window that could be used. I figured people would play for a minimum of 50 minutes, and then they could go to turns (5 turns, I understand, is the standard). But since this isn't a live tournament and we have fewer logistical issues, I figured games could be extended if both players wanted to keep playing - something along the lines of "Hey, want to play 15 more minutes, and then go to turns?" would be fine. That way people can keep playing, but nobody is locked into a 4 hour marathon match.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

I wasn't going to post this, but meh. This deck feels like a pretty simple deck to build, and it's very strong.
// Lands
4 Darkslick Shores
4 Drowned Catacomb
4 Underground Sea
4 Swamp
4 Cabal Pit

// Creatures
1 Sheoldred, Whispering One
1 Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
1 Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
1 Phyrexian Ingester

// Spells
4 Counterspell
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Animate Dead
4 Careful Study
4 Entomb
4 Mental Note
4 Stitch Together
3 Buried Alive
1 Demonic Tutor
4 Mental Misstep

// Sideboard
SB: 1 Ancestor's Chosen
SB: 1 Iridescent Angel
SB: 1 Phantom Nishoba
SB: 4 Dismember
SB: 3 Duress
SB: 1 Stormtide Leviathan
SB: 4 Steel Sabotage

e: Mind Twist could be good, but with a land count of 20... meh.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
I think this particular build is a dead end, but it's fun enough deck and maybe it'll contribute to the conversation.

Deck: PPL Infected Midrange v2

//Main
4 Cathedral of War
4 Inkmoth Nexus
8 Swamp
4 Underground Sea
4 Tainted Isle
4 Plague Myr
4 Power Sink
4 Phyrexian Crusader
3 Hand of the Praetors
3 Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon
4 Dark Ritual
4 Mental Misstep
4 Death Wish
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Sol Ring
1 Mana Vault
3 Cabal Therapy

//Sideboard
2 Howl from Beyond
1 Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon
1 Hand of the Praetors
4 Chainer's Edict
1 Animate Dead
2 Winter Orb
1 Cabal Therapy
3 Cabal Ritual

Display deck statistics
This is, despite being v2, is actually the third iteration of infect decks I've been trying out. The first version combined Exalted cards from M13 with Infect, but the Duty-Bound Dead and Knights of Infamy made hands awkward more than they added to poison counters. The second iteration cut out the Exalted and focused on a more straight forward Infected mid-range in Mono-Black. This version added in blue for Power Sink (and Mental Misstep, to a lesser extent).

What does this deck do?
The concept is that infect creatures have effectively double Power against players, and that lets you close out games quickly. The ideal plan is to curve out, using some of the ramp to get Skithiryx down early before the opponent can come up with answers. The deck is heavy-black due to the multitude of double color mana creatures, which is strained a bit by Inkmoth Nexus and Cathedral of War. Those lands carry their own weight, however, as the Inkmoth lets you get around counter spells and Cathedral of War pumps Power. Ramping into a turn three 4/4 hasty flier with Infect feels amazing, but even playing fairly it feels like it doesn't take much to end the game. Phyrexian Crusader has protection from two relevant colors, and 2 poison counters a turn (3 if a Cathedral is down) is a very short clock.

So why is it a dead end?
This deck does amazing against its good match-ups, and poorly against everything else. Unfortunately, the top decks in this meta up are bad matches. The worst match-up seems to be Reanimator - a lot of the great reanimator targets (Elesh Norn, Sheoldred) really hurt against a narrow, power-focused deck. The second bad match up is U/x control - the deck isn't quite explosive enough to consistently get a threat down on turn 2 before shields go up. Finally, a lot of people are playing at least some black, and every creature dies to Dismember. Against other Infect decks, the creatures are just bigger and better. Against slower decks that let creatures get on the field, Phyrexian Crusader is painfully hard to get rid of - Burn the Impure and Swords to Plowshares are both useless.

So what do you recommend?
If you're going to go Infect, go all in on the Aggro - I've seen a very strong Jund Infect deck that has done well. Otherwise, I think a control deck is the way to go. Reanimator decks seem to be stronger in this meta than people anticipated, so a deck that can beat it through disruption will do well. I have a psychatog deck that has done well... but I'm just not really as good at piloting control decks. Either way, mid-range is a poor choice for this particular standard. Maybe if SOM stays in and Revised goes out, this deck might have a chance.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Starts tomorrow, so I'll just sign up. Deck sent by PM.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN! Send your finalized deck list to <my username>@gmail.com with the subject line of "Past Past League <Your Username>". A deckstats link is nice but not required. I'll take a quick look over it to make sure it's all legal cards, and then I'll add your name to the Tournament Spreadsheet, so you can see who has beaten whom. I'll also post the current top 3 players in the OP. Next to my name you'll notice a hash code - that's the hash cockatrice assigns to a deck, and I'll include it for everyone else as well. This way, if you play someone in cockatrice, you'll know that they're playing the correct deck.

From there, it's a simple matter of posting here when you win/lose a match with someone. Every day or so, I'll check the thread and update the spreadsheet.

Now, in the interest of fairness, here's the deck I'll be playing with. You don't need to post your deck publicly. This is only because, when putting together the spreadsheet, I would get a chance to see everyone's deck, so everyone should get a chance to see my deck.
Deck: Psychatog v2

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I've also sent my deck.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Ramos posted:

Starts tomorrow, so I'll just sign up. Deck sent by PM.

Silver2195 posted:

I've also sent my deck.
Got them both, you should be on the spreadsheet now.

2SiBi
Nov 11, 2011
Sent! I sent it under my IRC/cockatrice name, which is JooSiBi.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

2SiBi posted:

Sent! I sent it under my IRC/cockatrice name, which is JooSiBi.
Got it, you're all good.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Mono black looks crazy. Does Worldgorger combo still work?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

eatenmyeyes posted:

Try it, Drain Life is in the set.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

eatenmyeyes posted:

Not a lot of time to test it, but you could take a shot at it.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I've seen it done, seems reasonable albeit a bit vulnerable. Also, decks sent.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
Namagem, sorry I missed your question on IRC. To answer, yeah, you can totally still submit a deck! You just won't have a lot of time to test it. I haven't given a hard deadline for registering, but it'll be at least a couple more days. Wednesday probably!

The Lord of Hats posted:

I've seen it done, seems reasonable albeit a bit vulnerable. Also, decks sent.
Got it, you're in.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

If I post my deck list Wednesday will that be too late? I'm out of town

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Null1fy posted:

If I post my deck list Wednesday will that be too late? I'm out of town
Yeah, I think Wednesday would be fine.

Also, The Lord of Hats won his first match against... me. Congrats, TLoHs, you're in first place!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

The Lord of Hats 2 - 0 Ramus

Drew what I needed, and his deck decided to just poop out on him. Fun games, though.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Lord of Hats just beat me 2-0 as well.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
OK, I just ran some sample hands and my deck was hosed. Consider this my final build http://deck.tk/7Pf63QPh

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 24, 2014

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Babylon Astronaut posted:

OK, I just ran some sample hands and my deck was hosed. Consider this my final build

You're not required to post the list in this thread, so you should probably want to delete that link. Just send it to Jonked.

I sent in my deck, I have a busy couple days coming up but I can usually play from 12:00-2:00 AM Eastern or on the weekend.

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
My Timmy Hell of a deck has been submitted. It's the best I'm going to have. I am fully prepared to lose to Lord of Hats.

As a note, tomorrow is my birthday, so I might not be available for most of tommorrow.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

I submitted my deck.

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
I just beat Ramus 2-1.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
Null1fy beat me 2-1

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

I went 2-0 against Namagem

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
I've submitted my deck, and won 2-0 against Babylon Astronaut.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Yea, I need to tweak some more because I take way too long to go off to only have blind cabal therapies for disruption.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Went 2-0 against Babylon Astronaut.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
I'll update the spreadsheet after class but I wanted to announce that I'm closing registration at midnight. Please get your decks to me by then.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
Really wanted to submit a deck to this, but I never got the time :(

Looking forward to the next set pick, though.

(please pick Onslaught)

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Just make a deck anyway. We'll all have decks in a format that no one has ever played, I'm sure if you ask in the IRC someone will play you for fun.

Ok I fixed my mana issues and general consistency, this is the latest version: http://deck.tk/0Gmy4PTg

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 25, 2014

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

The Lord of Hats 2 - 0 Ranmilia

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

You want to win? Play this deck. I just beat Hats handily with it (in an unofficial match) and with cards to spare. It has a positive match up against the majority of the meta. You have one hour to get it registered with Jonked, go go go!

Deck: Glistening RUG

//Lands
2 Forest
4 Inkmoth Nexus
2 Island
4 Taiga
4 Tropical Island
4 Volcanic Island

//Spells
4 Giant Growth
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Mental Misstep
4 Mutagenic Growth
4 Rancor
4 Reckless Charge
4 Unstable Mutation

//Creatures
4 Blighted Agent
4 Glistener Elf
4 Ichorclaw Myr

//Sideboard
4 Corrupted Resolve
4 Negate
4 Surgical Extraction
3 Apostle's Blessing

Display deck statistics

Ramos fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 25, 2014

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
Yes, that is correct, the deadline is EST Midnight, aka 1 hour! There have been a couple different decks posted here, if you don't want to build your own you can always send me one of those instead!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

The Lord of Hats 2 - 0 JooSiBi / 2SiBi

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
Ran 2-0 Namagem

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
Sent Ramos's decklist in, hopefully not too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
This sounds really cool and there's ten minutes to the deadline. I want to play that sweet sweet Temur infect deck.

• Locked thread