Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Doghouse posted:

This sounds awesome. Is there going to be a second round? I haven't played magic in close to ten years, and I'm not sure I'd have time for this, but it makes me so nostalgic for the days of staying up late preparing for PTQs.

Edit: How do I get cockatrice? Is that kind of like what apprentice was 10-15 years ago?

Cockatrice can be found here.

Anyway, this round is going to end in about a week, I believe. At that point, the next round will start. In the meantime, feel free to join us at the IRC channel (server is irc.synirc.net and the room is #PastPastLeague) to chat right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
PPL Tempered Steel

//Lands
4 Inkmoth Nexus
4 Plains
4 Savannah
4 Scrubland
4 Tundra

//Spells
3 Armageddon
4 Dispatch
4 Glint Hawk Idol
3 Mox Opal
3 Origin Spellbomb
1 Sol Ring
4 Tempered Steel

//Creatures
3 Blade Splicer
4 Leonin Relic-Warder
4 Memnite
2 Ornithopter
4 Signal Pest
1 Vault Skirge

//Sideboard
2 Ajani, Caller of the Pride
4 Revoke Existence
2 Hero of Bladehold
1 Armageddon
1 Balance
4 Mental Misstep
1 Swords to Plowshares

Display deck statistics

So here are the goodies I've been playing. I like the deck and all the cards, though some of the numbers are certainly off, maybe some Missteps should be maindeck, etc etc. The basis of the list came from simply looking up Scars block constructed results, taking LSV's list and then making a few alterations. Kinda surprised I'm the only one playing it, I would have thought that block lists would be a natural starting point for people, but instead I've felt like this deck was barely on anyone's radar going in.

Revised brings Sol Ring and Armageddon, which I put in over Hero of Bladehold as a 4 mana backbreaker, plus the almighty Ornithopter to speed up metalcraft draws and give that authentic Affinity feeling. M13 provides Ajani in the board vs control or other creature decks. Odyssey block provides... stone nothing. There are 0 artifacts in Torment and Judgment and none of note in Odyssey, and the white cards from the block aren't particularly interesting when metalcraft and Swords to Plowshares options are floating around. I tested Pianna, Nomad Captain and a couple others that seemed interesting, but not working with Tempered Steel was just too much of a drawback.

Mox Opal is absurd with the new legend rule and I regret not playing 4. Metalcraft in general is very easy for this deck to turn on, hence Dispatch over StP. (Also, the most common targets are Blightsteel Colossus, Wurmcoil Engine, Batterskull germs and various reanimated praetors, where the lifegain from StP would be very relevant.)

Leonin Relic-Warder in the maindeck does not get buffed by Tempered Steel, but is still an all-star when the format's full of Sol Ring, Mana Crypt, Animate Dead, Wurmcoil, Batterskull, Shrine of Burning Rage, possibly other Tempered Steel decks, and so forth. In fact, there are so many priority targets, and so many decks that just fold if you can hit their big finisher, that all those Revoke Existences in the board often come in as well. For extra bonus fun points, playing a Relic-Warder into an Animate Deaded Elesh Norn does the perma-exile trick automatically! ... but on the other hand, the body's gotten so little use for me that I think it might have been better to swap the Revokes to the maindeck slots.

Mental Misstep in the sideboard used to be some things like Mutagenic Growth and Contested War Zone, but it turns out this format is very heavily packed around gamebreaking 1 mana spells and Misstep is in fact That Good. As said earlier, it's very possible some of them should be maindeck (although I don't expect that to remain true after Revised rotates out).

Origin Spellbomb is a card I initially leaned towards cutting, but after some tests, the card draw and partial wrath resilience proved more valuable than I first thought. It's still kind of clunky, though.

Glint Hawk Idol looks very funny, but is actually one of the cores of the deck and one of the best cards, without question. Getting it online is never a problem, it flies and packs a punch, dodges sorcery speed removal, hides from Balance, eats opposing Inkmoths... just does it all. Having one or two Idols in play is strongly correlated with winning the game.

Inkmoth Nexus is also amazing, as I've found myself winning with poison as much or more than with regular damage. For others playing the deck, keep in mind that it can be very worthwhile to activate and get a 1 poison hit in early, so that 3 hits of Tempered Steel poison can be lethal.

Tempered Steel is of course the actual best card in the deck, and the one card that absolutely must resolve if possible. Solutions to very common sequencing dilemmas, learned at the cost of some games:
- 3 mana this turn, 4 mana next turn, Armageddon and Tempered Steel in hand, and the opponent obviously has Counterspell up? Wait a turn and Armageddon first. Don't let Steel get countered.
- 3 mana, the coast is clear, and you have the choice between Blade Splicer and Tempered Steel? Get the Steel down first.

If Scars does not rotate out, I think this is definitely a deck for people to look at going forward. It's very strong, very resilient, and loses relatively little from rotation. Hero of Bladehold can come right back on in as the curve topper, everyone else loses their Sol Ring starts but this deck keeps its Mox Opal starts, and any other changes will just be improvements.

Edit: Of course right after I post this, we do rotation and Scars is gone, haha.

Ranpire fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 29, 2014

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
Doghouse, join the IRC, we'll help you get started. The IRC's where everything is coordinated.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Won 2-0 against Namagem.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
Just as a heads up for what's going on, people wanted to rotate the format a little early. Feel free to keep playing your matches, but the top 3 players agree to rotate OUT Scars of Mirrodin and Revised Edition. They have been replaced by Shards of Alara and Magic 2015.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Won 2-0 against Jonked.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Jonked posted:

Just as a heads up for what's going on, people wanted to rotate the format a little early. Feel free to keep playing your matches, but the top 3 players agree to rotate OUT Scars of Mirrodin and Revised Edition. They have been replaced by Shards of Alara and Magic 2015.

Oh hell yeah, love shards!

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Oh hell yea I love M15!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

New Format General Introduction

So, it's that time of month for the second time. While competitive games are still going, that shouldn't stop you from brewing. After all, that's the entire point of this league.

Returning Lands

Thanks to Odyssey and M13 sticking around, we still have a lot of mana fixing. We have allied check lands that check for if you have a basic of either type, tainted lands that require a swamp to work, and filter lands that take one mana of any variety and make it into two other kinds.

We also have Cabal Coffers, which is mildly insane for reasons you'll see if you follow me down a few inches.

New Lands

Mana fixing is still insane. Just not ridiculous levels like before. With Alara, we have trilands. Thanks to M15, we have enemy paired lands. This means that five color decks are probably still quite doable in this meta, believe it or not. More over, we have Urborg, which makes every land you have a swamp. Yes, people are already comboing this with Cabal Coffers.

Returning Mechanics

• Flashback: You can cast certain instants and sorceries from the graveyard for their flashback cost.
  • Threshold: If you have seven or more cards in your graveyard, the card does some in addition to what it normally does.
  • Exalted: Whenever a creature attacks alone, everything with Exalted gives it a +1/+1 bonus.
  • Madness: Whenever you discard a card with madness, you can pay its madness cost to cast it.

New Mechanics

Okay, let's be honest here. Alara has a boatload of mechanics and then some. At least it's not Ravnica.

• Bigness: If you control a creature with five or more power, you get good stuff out of the deal.
  • Artifacts: Just trust me, Esper has a ton of "Artifacts are good" stuff.
  • Devour X: Whenever a creature with devour enters the battlefield, sacrifice any number of creatures and put X times by how many creatures you devoured +1/+1 counters on it.
  • Unearth: You can play a creature from the graveyard for its unearth cost, though it's exiled at the end of the turn.
  • Cascade: Whenever you cast a spell with cascade, you flip cards over from your library until you find a spell with a converted mana cost less than the first one. You then cast that second one for free.
  • Domain: This takes into account how many different basic land types you control.
  • Cycling: You may pay the cycling cost on a card to discard it and draw a card. Occasionally, this allows you to instead search for a basic land instead of drawing.
  • Convoke: You can tap a creature you control to pay for one mana of the convoke spell.

Restricted cards?

None this time. :toot:

Wishes

Wishes once again return as your primary way to be tutoring all sorts of great things from your sideboard.

Triple Ajani

We also have three different Ajanis. Just sayin'.

Where do I start?

code:
(e:arb/en or e:cfx/en or e:ala/en or e:ju/en or e:tr/en or e:od/en or e:m15/en or e:m13/en)
This is the code to search the sets on magiccards.info. I recommend having a look over them. This meta offers a variety of robust options in terms of going about winning. With Ajani Steadfast and The Chain Veil, super friends can potentially be a deck. Thanks to Odyssey, black is the ramp color of choice again due to Cabal Coffers. Five color is within reach in terms of what all you can do. We're also in the set with the original allstar aggressive Jund deck. Chief Engineer can also enable a variety of artifact ramp decks.

Honestly, I have no idea, these sets offer a lot more in terms of what they can do.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 1, 2014

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
AATREK CURES KIDS is here! I beat him 2-0, albeit in rather narrow games. Good times!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Good games, Ranpire! Confirming that I lost 0-2.

edit: I beat Silver2195 2-1.

Chamale fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 30, 2014

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Lost 1-2 to AATREK CURES KIDS.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I won 2-0 against Ramos.

edit: I beat Jonked 2-1.

Lord of Hats beat me 2-0.

Chamale fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 30, 2014

Oxybeles
Feb 1, 2013
I took Silver 2-0 on pre-rotation etc.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Pre-rotation, beat 2SiBi 2-1.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 2, 2014

2SiBi
Nov 11, 2011
Pre-rotation, beat Jonked 2-1

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Having proven my credentials in stumbling into great decks, I give you a deck that has put up decent results against a Jund deck, another Jund deck, and an Eggs deck that failed to go off 4 times in a row:

Deck: Solar Exalted

The solar part refers to Sunpetal Grove and the other WG land and is totally not just a way to make the deck name sound cooler why do you ask

It's pretty simple, really: play exalted dudes, beat face with exalted dudes. Noble Hierarch jumps you ahead, the two-drops are either evasive or resilient to removal (or sometimes both), Dauntless Vanguard gives some cover against removal, and all of the four-mana cards can produce some really explosive finishes. It's a fun deck!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Won 2-0 against Asymmetrikon.

VibeBox
Nov 13, 2010
some decks for post-rotation:

Grixis Control

3 CounterSquall
2 Terminate
2 Mutilate
4 Duress
3 Circular Logic
4 Flame Burst
4 Cabal Ritual
3 Burning Wish

3 Gilded Lotus

3 Cruel Ultimatum
1 Time Stretch

2 Nicol Bolas

2 Dragonskull Summit
2 Drowned Catacomb
4 Tainted Peak
4 Tainted Isle
3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
3 Crumbling Necropolis
7 Swamp
1 Mountain
1 Island

SB:
1 Time Stretch
1 Cruel Ultimatum
1 Terminate
1 Circular Logic
1 Countersquall
1 Mutilate

AJundi Vengeant

3 Path to Exile
4 Flameburst
2 Farseek
3 Maelstrom Pulse
4 Blightning

4 Grim Lavamancer
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
4 Bloodbraid Elf

3 Ajani Vengeant
4 Elspeth, Knight Errant

4 Exotic Orchard
4 Savage Lands
2 Nantuko Monestary
1 Petrified Field
1 Riftstone Portal

(Pretty sure this deck should have more creatures. maybe putrid leech, maybe a couple Thundermaw Hellkite. didn't finish the mana, plenty of ways to go)

SB:
4 Seedtime
2 Anathamancer
4 Groundseal

thetroopsRjerks.dec (hatebears)

4 Grim Lavamancer
3 Phyrexian Revoker / Ravenous Rats
3 Quasali Pridemage
2 Meddling Mage
4 Mesmeric Fiend
4 Tidehollow Sculler
4 Bloodbraid Elf

3 Living Wish
4 Flame Burst

4 Ancient Ziggurat

SB:
1 Meddling Mage
1 Quasali Pridemage
1 Phyrexian Revoker / Ravenous Rats
3 Reclamation Sage

Little Kid Standstill

2 Elvish Mystic
4 Noble Heirarch
4 Nimble Mongoose
3 Basking Rootwalla
4 Wild Mongrel
3 Knight of the Reliquary

3 Sublime Archangel

4 Elspeth, Knight Errant

3 Path to Exile
3 Standstill
4 Circular Logic

4 Sunpetal Grove
4 Glacial Fortress
3 Nantuko Monestary
3 Plains
1 Island
10 Forest

pretty sure there was a strong hunting grounds deck to be had when gitaxian probe and other free spells were around, not so sure now.

VibeBox
Nov 13, 2010
grixis might need some card draw in there somewhere. sign in blood, concentrate, or jace's ingenuity.

lapse of certainty might be better than circular logic in little kid

wish ya'll would post decklists, even if after the rotation. this is impossible to spectate rn without knowing what people are playing.

: -(

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

VibeBox posted:

wish ya'll would post decklists, even if after the rotation. this is impossible to spectate rn without knowing what people are playing.

Careful what you wish for.
Deck: PPL Jund v2

//Lands
4 Ancient Ziggurat
3 Dragonskull Summit
3 Forest
2 Llanowar Wastes
4 Mountain
4 Rootbound Crag

//Spells
4 Bituminous Blast
4 Blightning
3 Browbeat
4 Terminate

//Creatures
4 Bloodbraid Elf
4 Bloodhall Ooze
2 Enlisted Wurm
2 Jund Hackblade
4 Noble Hierarch
4 Sprouting Thrinax
2 Thragtusk

//Sideboard
3 Chainer's Edict
2 Enlisted Wurm
3 Rancor
3 Magma Spray
2 Thragtusk
2 Jund Hackblade

Display deck statistics
First off, yeah, it's not really Jund since it's splashing into white for Enlisted Wurm. Sure, it seems a little greedy, but in reality it's actually a very painless splash - I'm already running Noble Hierarch and Ancient Ziggurat, and getting the Wurm down can potentially cascade into an unbeatable board state. The worst case scenario is still something I'm very happy about. For the rest of the creatures, Bloodhall Ooze has the potential to become hilarious big very fast with a Jund Hackblade. Sprouting Thrinax and Thragtusk can be very sticky on the board, and Bloodbraid Elf is just great value. Mana-wise, it's actually a lot less janky than it looks - I can usually get Sprouting Thrinax down on curve more often than not. I think there's room for improvement, but it's not an anchor on the deck. Spells have taken on a very Burn-ish bent - Browbeat has been almost exclusively a 3-mana Lava Axe, and I'm perfectly fine with that. Blightning has been pretty painful, especially off of a turn 3 or 4 BBE. Terminate and Bituminous Blast have been side-boarded out more than a few times in the face of Shroud creatures or Protection from Black, but I think they justify their mainboard slots. Finally, the sideboard is very rough, and trying to hedge bets. Edict gets around Shroud and Protection, Rancor helps me add punishment if my opponent isn't answering my creatures, Magma Spray adds a bit of burn, and finally the creatures let me shift my curve up or down as needed.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

VibeBox posted:

grixis might need some card draw in there somewhere. sign in blood, concentrate, or jace's ingenuity.

lapse of certainty might be better than circular logic in little kid

Sure thing.

Deck: Answers

//Lands
4 Evolving Wilds
1 Forest
4 Glacial Fortress
4 Island
1 Mountain
3 Plains
1 Reliquary Tower
3 Seaside Citadel

//Spells
2 Celestial Purge
3 Compulsion
4 Cunning Wish
1 Elixir of Immortality
4 Essence Scatter
3 Jace's Ingenuity
4 Negate
4 Path to Exile
4 Traumatic Visions
4 Æther Burst
4 Ætherspouts

//Creatures
2 Thragtusk

//Sideboard
3 Swerve
2 Celestial Purge
4 Erase
4 Filigree Fracture
2 Double Negative

Display deck statistics

You heard it here first, folks. Celestial Purge mainboard for all of those really good Jund creatures running around.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Deck: Rough'n'Tumble Elves

//Lands
8 Forest
4 Jungle Shrine
2 Mossfire Valley
4 Mountain
4 Rootbound Crag

//Spells
4 Lightning Strike
2 Obelisk of Urd
4 Violent Outburst

//Creatures
4 Arbor Elf
4 Bloodbraid Elf
4 Cylian Sunsinger
4 Elvish Archdruid
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Elvish Visionary
4 Shaman of Spring

Display deck statistics

So Elves isn't the fastest aggressive deck ever, but it has two cantripping elves, a third that replaces itself, and a lord. Also a lord rock. This makes it so that the deck can survive into the middle of the game as needed while still closing things out pretty fast if unhindered. Also, Bloodbraid Elf into Violent Outburst is one of the nicest feelings ever.

Violent Outburst also works well with goblin tribal, by the way. Better even with all of the tokens.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Wait when does rotation happen? I kinda lost track of this thread cause I had exams, I haven't missed it right?

VV: Ah dang, I should have paid more attention.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 8, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Serperoth posted:

Wait when does rotation happen? I kinda lost track of this thread cause I had exams, I haven't missed it right?

We hit our first rotation so we're now playing with Alara block, Odyssey block, M13, and M15. Rotations seem to be happening once a month at the end of each month.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Deck: Rabble Jund

//Main
//Land
3 Dragonskull Summit
6 Forest
4 Llanowar Wastes
3 Mountain
3 Rootbound Crag
4 Savage Lands
3 Swamp

//Spells
2 Farseek
2 Garruk, Primal Hunter
2 Lightning Strike
4 Maelstrom Pulse
3 Terminate

//Creatures
4 Bloodbraid Elf
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
4 Noble Hierarch
4 Putrid Leech
3 Thundermaw Hellkite
2 Vampire Nighthawk

//Sideboard
3 Duress
2 Chainer's Edict
4 Thragtusk
4 Jund Charm
2 Reclamation Sage

Display deck statistics

Bloodbraid cascading into a Rabblemaster is the sickest play imaginable. Noble Hierarch over Elvish Mystic because I like Exalted, though I could be convinced to use the Mystics. Besides that it's pretty standard Jundry. I just cannot overstate how pronographic cascading into a Rabblemaster is.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

For the record, Aetherspouts is as powerful as you might expect in a full on control deck against this sort of thing. Now if only I could draw them on command.

Here, have a combo deck:

Deck: Hiding in the Bunker

//White
1 Solitary Confinement

//Blue
4 Augur of Bolas
4 Breakthrough
4 Careful Study
4 Index

//Black
2 Ad Nauseam
1 Sickening Dreams

//Green
4 Diligent Farmhand
4 Krosan Wayfarer

//Colorless
4 Ornithopter

//Lands
4 Cabal Coffers
3 Drowned Catacomb
2 Evolving Wilds
6 Forest
4 Island
1 Plains
3 Sunpetal Grove
2 Swamp

//Sideboard
4 Negate
1 Banefire
2 Mountain
4 Rootbound Crag
4 Overmaster

Display deck statistics

Dig for Ad Nauseam, let it loose, get Solitary Confinement and Sickening Dreams, win. It can be improved. Basically what cards are there are used for digging and ramp into what you need. If it need be, it can switch over to mana ramp with Banefire in the other games. But yeah, it's more a proof of concept at this point.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 19, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Powered Cube Draft

So people on the IRC channel have been thinking about drafting a cube. In an attempt to get something together for a bit of fun, I'm arranging a cube draft for Saturday, 10/18/14 at 7PM EST.

We'll be using this cube minus whatever Conspiracy draft only cards are in there. We need eight people, so sign up if you're interested.

Players:
1. Ramos
2. Ranpire
3. Asymmetrikon
4. Namagem

Ramos fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 13, 2014

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012
Definitely interested (pretty much any evening, too).

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
Sounds neat, I love cube drafts.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Ramos posted:

Powered Cube Draft

So people on the IRC channel have been thinking about drafting a cube. In an attempt to get something together for a bit of fun, I'm arranging a cube draft for Saturday, 10/18/14 at 7PM EST.

We'll be using this cube minus whatever Conspiracy draft only cards are in there. We need eight people, so sign up if you're interested.

Players:
1. Ramos
2. Ranpire
3. Asymmetrikon

The only cards that need to be removed are Booster Tutor, the Conspiracy artifact cards (that influence drafts) and possibly the Conspiracy cards themselves that are difficult to label without cheating. Some cards which might be confusing are Squadron Hawk (which grabs 3 more from your sideboard when you cast it), Blacker Lotus which taps to add 4 of any one color and is exiled, Jack-in-the-Mox which creates a colorless on a die roll of 1 and Lotus Vale which I errata'd to say 'After it enters play' so you can tap it and then sacrifice. Also W/W/W/W/W has Fuse (anything and everything may be fused) as well as Fire // Ice.

I'd draft but I usually work on Saturdays however, on the 18th I'll actually be out of town. Have fun!

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

I'm keen but ill be away. Sign me up for the next one.

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
Sign me up, I like a good cube draft.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
Usually I like to leave my saturdays open, but you know what? Mark me down as your 8th man if you only get 7 people together, and I'll show up.

I feel like I should also post that Deck Registration is Friday at Midnight EST. You've still got some time, and quite a few decks have been posted here that could use a bit of polish, if you want to play.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Is there any way to actually use the Wishes on Cockatrice?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Is there any way to actually use the Wishes on Cockatrice?

Right click the blue space, go to view sideboard, viola.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Deck: Eggs Redux

//Lands
3 Cabal Coffers
4 Evolving Wilds
3 Forest
5 Island
1 Mountain
1 Plains

//Spells
1 Banefire
4 Careful Study
4 Darkwater Egg
4 Faith's Reward
2 Living Wish
4 Mossfire Egg
1 Rewind
4 Shadowblood Egg
4 Skycloud Egg
4 Sungrass Egg

//Creatures
4 Hapless Researcher
4 Krosan Wayfarer

//Sideboard
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Cabal Coffers

Display deck statistics

What is this deck about?

Time for another eggs primer. So I've been working on eggs again and this is the current list I'm sitting upon. This isn't going to be the winning deck as it stands, but if anyone wants to take a shot at making it better, go for it.

The primary idea behind the deck is to combo off with your eggs and eat through your deck until you can pull together 20+ damage with Banefire.

The combos

The deck is centered around Faith's Reward. By using your eggs, Hapless Research, Krosan Wayfarer, and Evolving Wilds, you can eat through your deck that much faster and keep that much better supplied. Thus, the idea is to get four lands as soon as possible and just do your best to eat entire chunks of your deck.

You can reach the magical point of four mana faster using Krosan Wayfarer. Using your wish, you can often times grab the land that you need to start profiting with your mana.

Towards the end, after you've taken ten minutes setting your opponent to sleep during your turn, you can play any one mana spell and counter it with Rewind. This will untap four lands (read: three to four Cabal Coffers), which in turn gives you enough mana to probably kill your opponent at that point.

The weaknesses

Jund is in the format as are some very competent control decks. Duress can instantly neuter you, creatures are really fast, there's counterspells, and discard spells everywhere.

Okay, how do we deal with that?

As the deck is configured, it's decent at dealing with Jund, though not great. Your sacrifice creatures can block, be sacrificed, and still do their intended effect. Even Faith's Reward is an instant, so you can potentially do everything you could ever want on your opponent's turn.

Counterspells? Whelp, let's move to the next part.

What other cards can this use?

Overmaster is a good place to start. It replaces itself and makes your Faith's Reward unstoppable, at the hefty price of one extra mana. Do note, you can play this and then keep on playing eggs in an attempt to dig for a Faith's Reward.

Etherium Sculptor is the obvious card. It makes your eggs cantrip for free and can draw a lot of cards right off on its own. However, due to your low number of removal targets, this is prime for being hit by a lightning strike every time before you can even play your first egg. It also doesn't cantrip, so it can often be a dead draw.

Glaze Fiend is potentially a far faster clock as it can rip through life totals in straight up seconds. It also has the same issue as Etherium Sculptor, it's a lightning rod for removal. It can be blocked in the air too.

Illusory Angel is incredibly easy to cast with eggs, even more so with Etherium Sculptor.

Glassdust Hulk does everything Glaze Fiend, albeit much slower and can't be blocked. Often times too slow.

Reckless Charge is probably going to find its way into your creature based strategy somehow. Waiting a turn to completely destroy your opponent is just not acceptable.

Where do I even start?

Good question. Just goldfish and hopefully something works.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
OH CRAP THE DEADLINE!!!!

Hey, relax! Yeah, I said the deadline was today at Midnight, but considering I've only gotten 1 decklist, and that I've forgotten to remind me people, I'm extending the deadline. Get me your decklist by Sunday, Oct. 19th at Midnight if you want to play!

I'm going to be basically running the Jund deck I posted from earlier, btw.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Still want a deck? Here's another:

Deck: Nuclear Lich

//Lands
4 Cabal Coffers
1 Caves of Koilos
3 Evolving Wilds
1 Plains
8 Swamp
3 Tainted Field
4 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

//Spells
4 Diabolic Tutor
4 Life Burst
4 Murder
4 Mutilate
4 Nefarious Lich
2 Sickening Dreams
4 Sign in Blood
4 Solitary Confinement

//Creatures
4 Vampire Nighthawk
2 Wall of Essence

Display deck statistics

How does this deck work?

You are a control deck with a combo finisher. The goal is to play Nefarious Lich and reap the benefits of that. From there, Life Burst becomes "Draw 4/8/12/16 cards" and enough to get you your combo together.

What's the combo?

You play Solitary Confinement and then play Sickening Dreams, discarding about, oh say, twenty cards that you drew off of your Life Bursts. The mana for this can be generated off of one or two Cabal Coffers and an Urborg, which, if you're lucky, you opponent may already be playing for you.

How can I make this suck less?

Yeah, I just threw this together as a proof of concept. The first thing is probably getting Reliquary Tower to fit into that manabase so you play that and not lose your entire hand if you fail to get everything together somehow.

After that, I'd recommend a blue splash for counterspells, solely to stop enchantment removal, which literally kills you, and other counterspells, which stop you in your tracks. They can probably also help you survive longer in a regular match anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lardnar
Feb 28, 2011
If you're comboing with Lich + Dreams, you don't need the solitary confinement, right? Discarding cards to Dreams gives you food to exile with the Lich so you don't die. You might want a confinement anyway to protect you before you go off vs. other decks in the field, or if your opponent exiles your graveyard while you go off, but you don't need it to protect yourself against your own dreams, I think.

• Locked thread